YNT-eligible lower division-pro players: 2021 IN-SEASON thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Apr 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Tacoma vs. Las Vegas: Danny Leyva ('03) was great. I haven't seen him play this well in a few years. It's good to see him dominate a match in all facets. Between his passing, soccer IQ, and underrated defensive ability, he completely controlled the game in midfield. Reed Baker-Whiting ('05) was not as good. A lot of running around, but not very effective. Alex Villanueva ('02) and Eric Kinzner ('03) have both had resurgent seasons, but were really bad in this game. Las Vegas tore apart the left side of Tacoma's defense.

Julian Gaines ('02) has been excellent this season for Las Vegas. Very good offense, and defensively he's pretty good. He's also athletic. I think he'll either be starting for LAFC next season or somewhere in Europe. Antonio Leone ('04) has been improving each game defensively. He had a very good performance, and is starting to become a commanding presence at the back. Christian Torres ('04) wasn't very involved in this game.

NYRB II: I watched both of their games from the past week. I thought Roald Mitchell ('03) probably had his weakest game in weeks in the one game he played. He wasn't as involved as he normally is. Cameron Harper ('01) was excellent in the game he played. He's a natural winger that runs at players, gets to the end line, puts in crosses, but he's able to come inside. Good, not great speed. Good decisions with the ball. He's not ultra-creative or talented, but he will be a good player, and I would not rule out that he could eventually play for the USMNT.

Tampa Bay: Jordan Adebayo-Smith ('01) started for Tampa Bay in the game against NYRB. This was the first time I've seen him play. I don't think he's much of a prospect. Big CF with some speed, and a very generic skillset. He scored a goal, which he deserves credit for, but NYRB parted the defense for him to run right in on goal.

Real Monarchs: Jeff Dewsnup ('04) wasn't bad, but did give up his first questionable goal of the season IMO. It was one of those set-pieces where the set-piece taker swings it in, and the defenders expect the goalie to come for it, while the goalie expects the defenders to clear it, but it goes through everyone without anyone touching it and into the far corner. Not completely his fault, but that goal can't go in.

North Carolina FC: Damian Las ('02) had a good pro debut. He made a few nice saves. Nothing he could do about the two goals. He also was very aggressive as a sweeper-keeper off his line. He probably saved North Carolina from having another few opportunities on their goal because they were playing a high line that was allowing the Ft. Lauderdale attackers to get in behind the defense.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I find the trend of foreign players investing in lower division American teams really interesting.
    Can only be good for young players to have ownership that understands the process.

5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    So I know Vardy is from Sheffield, which is no treat, but has he even been to Rochester? Good luck to him.

Apparently, they aren't even going to play this year.

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    So can anyone solve the riddle of Jose Gallegos for me? At times, he tears up FC Dallas in pre-season. His highlight reel is amazing. He's getting trials at big clubs (which is not that unusual).

And now he's back at San Antonio, and while his first two games missed might have been because he's trialing, he's only played in 4 of the last 5, and really only played about half a match in each.

He was trialing; I hope he was in game shape. There's been no news of real interest. He's again not playing regularly in USL, and still has a decent record of 3g and 4a in 1900 USLC minutes.

He's young and all that, but is he more sizzle than steak? I'm starting to get Josh Pynadath vibes (okay, that's maybe too far).

7. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I think you can just get in at such a low price point.

You can get a hands on role in soccer and in soccer ownership for a week or so wages for a player like Vardy. I doubt those type of opportunities exist elsewhere. Also if it doesn't go well then there are limited risks. Worst case you just walk away and nobody is going to complain that Vardy drove Rochester Rhinos into the ground or was a no-show foreign owner.

Even MLS is pretty low entry. Guys like Mark Ingram are buying into DC United.

gogorath repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    San Antonio does a terrible job of playing their academy players, although I think that’s likely only part of it. It’s still a huge problem going forward that I think needs to be addressed.

9. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Rhinos have also been defunct now since 2017, so Vardy is buying into a team that hasn't played in 4 seasons.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #235 Clint Eastwood, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    I used to go to their games when I lived in Syracuse.
    For the time, they had a wonderful little soccer-specific stadium for a 2nd division club (the A league at the time).
    Much better than the Syracuse Salty Dogs field. I once saw an opponent wind up to shoot and trip over a pitcher's mound in Syracuse. He just stayed down on the field laughing his head off.

I watched the US U20s versus Argentina in Rochester during the run-up to the 2007 WC across the border in Canada.

Once in a while to amuse myself I go back to the thread where we talked about that game.
    Aaaaah. Different times. Innocent times. @SUDano was there too I believe.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/u-20s-to-face-argentina-in-rochester-5-15.524354/

SUDano and Winoman repped this.
  11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I don't know anything about him, but agree, may be he just isn't as great as his highlights?

gogorath repped this.
  12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    #237 SUDano, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Who cut the onions? I'm tearing up at the drove of memories from that game and the Rhinos games I went to. Thanks Clint. Went with a buddy and met up with his semi hot cool co-worker pharma rep (weren't they all back then) who had just broken up with her boyfriend, who's father coached soccer at RIT (I think) who wanted to talk soccer with me but I ignored her because I had to see Freddy Adu and Jozy Altidore!
    Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    On the plus side, you got to see the game you wanted to see and she didn't end up wasting time with someone who thought she was only "semi hot." ;)

Balerion and SUDano repped this.
  14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You can't tell me every Big Soccer husband thinks their wife is super hot.
    We get the one's in our league not the ones we think are the hottest.
    We all have mirrors and a sense of propriety don't we?
    I guess that's why I'm single.

15. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I'm sure that being on those training stints in Europe and away from the team in preseason has slowed his start to the season. Hopefully those stints lead to a move this summer, which would be a much more likely window for him to move than winter. Having said that, I question his ability to handle the defensive side of the game at high levels. I don't think there is any question about the attacking part of his game.

Clint Eastwood repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I wouldn't dream of telling you who to be attracted to or why -- or, for that matter, what kind of relationship status you should have! Just pointing out that it's better to dance with someone who wants to dance with you, too.

dougtee and Winoman repped this.
  17. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Or because, like the rest of us, spending every waking moment on this board isn't overly conducive to starting or maintaining a relationship. :)

I have managed to remain married, but it's probably more in spite of this board and largely a function of my wife being amazing.

twoolley and Winoman repped this.
  18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I can't dance. :(

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Gomez may be the best player in USL this season and that’s no exaggeration. I don’t think it’d be unmerited for him to be in the Gold Cup roster.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  22. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Duke has been fantastic at the USL level. Best player on the field in the games I've watched this year.

Mixed bag for Gallegos against New Mexico last night. He was taking on everyone in sight -- definitely over dribbling at times.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    this makes complete sense to me and you get the feeling gregg up for this kind of thing.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Duke is 2nd in USL-C in Chances Created.

TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Who knows?

Vines and Bello are presumably ahead of Gomez in the pecking order.
    Our left back depth is light enough that we need to answer the question "Who can help NOW!!" if needed in WCQing. And I just think that Berhalter wants that answer from Vines and Bello more than Gomez.

We'll see......................