YNT-eligible lower division-pro players: 2020 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ckajMonet, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    NYRB II vs Pittsburgh Riverhounds.

NY plays like all Red Bulls teams. So, it would be random when Clark would get the ball in Zone 14. There wouldn't always be a plan to it. But when it did happen, he split Pittsburgh's back line quite a few times.

The assist was a quick free kick restart where he alertly hits the winger perfectly with a chip over the backline.

2. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I saw the same thing, but I would say he looked more unsure of himself (defending) than timid. Maybe we are saying the same thing.

Just like you have said, he is a young kid, playing a new position against grown men. We have to accept mistakes and I don't see any physical or technical issues with Che. The issues that stood out to me seemed more tactical, which can be fixed pretty easily. There is bags of potential here and I look forward to his progression as I really rate this kid.

Arantes repped this.
  3. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Dallas are trying to develop his tactical understanding of the entire backline as well as 1v1 defending. Che is very highly regarded in their system and by other clubs. He does look nervous but he’s an 03 which isn’t surprising

4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '04 mid Cullen Wilkerson debuted for Timbers 2. Tacoma's Alec Diaz was player of the match and likely ought to get a US U20 invite, even if he may not accept.

ussoccer97531 and Patrick167 repped this.
  5. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Che and Rezdick both have the benefit of having fathers on the FCD coaching staff and have both been favored and coddled during their time in the youth system. They haven't had to work for time on the field yet so it maybe a new situation to fight for playing time, which is a good thing.

Che has very good athletic skills and is a smart kid. He should do well and will be given every chance to excel.

6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have either of them been undeservedly favored? Both of them have pretty consistently performed at every youth level that they were at.

7. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    #207 Runhard, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    That's debatable but probably so over the years. Its easier to perform when you have no risk of being removed from starting line up. Being given more rooom to make mistakes in game situations without being pulled or losing starting spot helps development significantly.

Not a knock on them, its just the way it goes when your dad is a coach. It takes skill, luck and a little bit of extra favor to make it sometimes. I think Che has pro potential but not sold on Rezdick.

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I've seen USL games. How many assists did he get from those passes?

9. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Mistakes (technical, tactical) are expected especially playing out of position; maybe just highlighting that he was timid. That would be worrisome whether you are 16 or 34 especially for somebody in defense; that's the easiest job of them all.

Overwhelmed by his first away USL-1 game, possibly? it may be time to get used to it especially if he has European aspirations. That's all. I'm not crucifying him on account of a couple of games.

You alluded to Nico Carrera. The guy may have a lot of *technical, tactical* deficiencies but mentality isn't one of them. IMO, Che is far better than Carrera. Yes, Ziegler is retiring at the end of this season but they'll need a left footer, Che is not it. Is that the reason Evans is back? They don't seem particularly interested in him either.

10. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    You are spot on. Unsure of himself describes it best. Reason for asking about how you project him with the YNT is to gauge whether the change in position will benefit him or not (a la Reynolds). As a RB, he'd have a ton of competition and beating out Cuevas isn't likely but that may be easier than beating out the current CBs in that age group where he's been unsuccessful.

11. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    It had to be said.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #212 Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    As far as I can tell, Diaz is cap-tied to PR at the U20 level. With that said, their campaign is over. If the US thinks he's a legit prospect at the U20 level, there might be other ways to involve him. (I suppose they could also just offer him some U20 camps, but I don't think he's an option for the full U20 team.)

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    From this it seems like North Texas SC is pretty isolated from FCD.
    A bummer for the first team kids that could be playing down right now.
    But we live in difficult times.

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    this red bull ii match is looking like really good youth viewing...

16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    wow and the union ii lineup might top rb. must watch usl drama at a reasonable hour to boot

Patrick167 and SUDano repped this.
  17. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    looks like a lot of players out of natural positions for union ii - maybe coach wasnt a fan of that particular development priority?

19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    1-0 Union II on GK Howler Bouhi! 19 seconds in!!
    And away we go!!

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    2-2 Halftime. Was really looking forward to some good youth play and not what I got. Alot can be explained by 17 yrd olds vs 22 yr olds but Union II got 2 lucky goals and almost showed no knowledge of how soccer is played. Some was comically bad. Open players but they just kicked long. Usually pretty accommodating when watching young players but UnionII was not taught how to play. I don't see it with Craig. Very stiff, can't move with ball. I look for smooth movement with ball and he doesn't have it. Didn't complete a pass until maybe 25 minutes in. One touched everything when he had time to calmly play the ball.
    Team Movement and spacing was haphazard. Bouhi and Pizarro. Tried to dribble through the entire defense. They need to learn to play calmly and confidently.
    Clark had a few good plays. Hot barely got touches. Sorry for such dour notes but it was quite disappointing. Maybe better in 2nd half?

21. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halftime thoughts NYRB2/Philly2:
    - Patrick Bohui has been very good. Pressing caused the first goal and he created the second goal with a well timed lob over the back line. His interplay and hold up play has also been solid
    - Brandon Craig I also thought has been good. His job has been to mark Caden Clark out of the game and he has done a good job of it. Caden has had 3 chances to really create but outside of that is getting marked out of the game. Outside of that Brandan kinda looks out of place on offense, he needs to be playing as a CB where he has verbally stated that he prefers to be at
    - Caden Clark is a promising 10. He created Red Bull’s second goal by himself by stealing the ball and playing the striker in. He has to find a way to lose Brandan Craig but still has tried to play some dangerous passes. He has to polish his finishing but it will come
    - Kenan Hot has been underwhelming. Kenny just needs to demand the ball more. He made a couple good defensive plays and thinks quick on the ball but he needs to be more aggressive when his team is in possession. It is also his first professional game so him not being a negative standout is just fine. I’m high on his game
    - Jack McGlynn does well to think 2-3 steps ahead of the game but struggles to break a high press. He did well on his goal but needs help unlocking the Red Bull’s midfield
    - Paxten Aaronson has been quiet. He hasn’t had much time on the ball and he is struggling to break the Red Bull’s high press big time. If I’m Marlon LeBlanc then Paxten is my first sub off

22. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defensively he’s been solid marking Caden Clark pretty well but on the ball you can tell that he really isn’t a 6. Brandan needs to be played as a CB

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    We must have watched different games.

bballshawn repped this.
  24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He's been really bad. Now another lucky goal for Union 3-2. This is just funny.
    They steal pass, Kick it forward, Jaz runs onto ball and goal. So much for Jogo Bonito.

25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    There was a nice dummy that let the ball get to the striker.

bballshawn repped this.