YNT-eligible lower division-pro players: 2020 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ckajMonet, Mar 7, 2020.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I know everyone says this guy is slow, so is his future just moving back until he's the most skilled CB in the pool? Also, I get that he's no burner, but he doesn't look *that* slow.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's not that big either. It's not just speed thats the issue, it's more about athleticism. Athletically and defensively, he's Mendez with better defensive effort. Mendez is 5'10, McGlynn 5'11. Most think a very athletic 5'10 Araujo can't physically/athletically play CB. I don't think they're going to like McGlynn at CB.

I also think it'd be wasting his playmaking and craftiness to have him at CB. He'd have less foot races and he can still pass the ball from CB, but you take away a lot of his strengths. Highlight videos also don't really always give a great picture of everything. He's slow IMO.

McGlynn's brother is 6'4 though, so I wouldn't rule out a further growth spurt. McGlynn is still only 17 (late July '03). McGlynn at even 6'1 or 6'2 is much less of an issue than an unathletic 5'11. I don't think it's a huge issue even at his current height and athleticism because he really does give very good effort, but if you put him in foot races or leaping duels, he's losing them.

charlie kennan and gogorath repped this.
  3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Why not AM? He has great vision, way better than Mendez. Looks like young Carleton.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was talking about athletic/defensive profile, not full game.

butters59 repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know if folks posted about this, but Thomas Roberts apparently had his best game of the season in North Texas' league one closer. When that kid is "on," you can see the potential. He also apparently dislocated his wrist in this game, popped it back in himself, got it taped at halftime and kept playing well. He's showing the guts we need to see.
    1320400311589154817 is not a valid tweet id

Also, another League One Market might be on the way in Texas:

Luksarus, USSoccerNova and TarHeels17 repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Buzz' end of year player evaluations for NTSC.
    A weird year. COVID restrictions meant limited mobility between first team, USL, and academy rosters. In a normal year we would have seen more of players like Sealy with NTSC. And more academy kids getting an opportunity to play up. But anyway, the big mover for the year is Che. Still only 16. I would love to see him loaned to Bayern Munich next year if feasible. With his German passport, it might be.

7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Roberts hasn't been playing all that well this season, but I think that he has still shown that he is above this level and could definitely impact MLS games. Lord knows FCD need that type of player right now. I think the criticism about his work rate, interest, body language, etc. is off base. He seems a little disinterested sometimes and he doesn't look like he's willing and able to scrap, but he is clearly one of the top players in all of USL and has shown a good work rate to take advantage of his superior talent. He has a more laid back style, but he's been tuned in and focused the times I've watched him this season. Seeing things click for him like they did in this game might be a sign of great things to come.

8. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #858 NoHammiesAltidore, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    New Amsterdam FC in NISA appears to have two '04s on their roster, James Baculima and Braedan Smith.
    Baculima played for FC Westchester in the DA.
    Smith seems to have come from the Barca AZ academy although I don't think he played for their DA teams.
    It doesn't appear either have appeared in a match yet, Smith doesn't have a listing that I found on the NISA site.

Edit: Turns out their starting keeper, Aldo Munoz, is an 03 who had spent some time with NYRB's academy and played high school after that. They also have '01 Joe Nastu who spent some time in Germany.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, NISA is trying to move up..................

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I have no idea how much movement we'll ultimately see, but there have been some deals involving USL-C players recently, including some loans to MLS, Harris getting a deal with SKC, and a young Loudoun player from Senegal heading to Portugal. Perhaps this will be a fun offseason.

Augie Williams made the USL-C TOTY, by the way. That league finishes up on Nov. 1. USL-1 plays its final on Friday.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Remember my joke about Indonesia winning the U20 World Cup? From the inbox:

USL League One announced today that the 2020 League One Final scheduled for Friday, October 30 will not be played.

The cancellation comes after multiple individuals in Union Omaha’s covered persons list tested positive for COVID-19.

USL HQ, in collaboration with the Greenville Triumph, Union Omaha, and the League One Board of Governors, determined prior to the resumption of play this season that if needed, points earned per game during the regular season would be implemented to determine its 2020 champion. With 2.1875 points per game, Triumph SC has been named 2020 USL League One Title-Winners.
    Best wishes to the Union folks, their friends and families.

13. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Did we miss that Loudoun signed '01 Nelson Martinez to a pro deal earlier this season? He's spent some time with USYNTs and got in a few games for them after some academy deal appearances in 2019. (I did a search, but may have missed a reference here.)

NoHammiesAltidore and Winoman repped this.
  15. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    USL1 announced its all-league teams earlier today. I'm too sleepy to be sure I'm not missing someone, but Justin Che made the first team, while Ian Fray and Edinson Azcona made the second. (So did Nicolas Firmino, but I couldn't remember if he was American offhand.)

18. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020

19. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
  20. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
  21. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would've given Neal the award of Cuevas, but it's close.

charlie kennan repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    From the inbox:

Before he arrived at Forward Madison FC, young goalkeeper Chris Brady’s potential was already known.

After his first season in the professional ranks, the future is only looking brighter as the United States youth international was voted the USL League One Young Player of the Year after an impressive campaign for the Flamingos.​

gogorath, TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Balerion repped this.