YNT-eligible lower division-pro players: 2020 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ckajMonet, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I think that is a different question than what you asked. If he is your keeper, and he can't play out of the back, than he shouldn't play out of the back.

The question you seem to be asking is if he can't play out of the back should a coach pick him for his team/ or play him as the number one.
    My answer is that it depends. Tradeoffs.....the world is made out of trade offs. Are his skills as a GK good enough to negate his deficiencies with his feet relative to his competition? If yes, he plays, if no he doesn't.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    With all due respect, the question I asked is the one I meant to ask.

If you have a keeper who is great at keeping the ball out of the net, they play. It’s that simple, as far as I’m concerned.

If you are going to then ask a keeper who is a technical liability to intricately distribute the ball, you are going to worsen their performance level. I don’t think it’s a question of if you play the keeper, it becomes a question of do you make a player whose going to cause issues in an area of the game keep playing that way without recognizing how this philosophy of how a goalkeeper should play is actually making it harder for the team.

There are some coaches that force a playing style on the keeper, and other coaches that adapt to the skillset of the keeper.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1317885961045528576 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  4. The Hideaway

The Hideaway Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 23, 2019
    It's initially an odd question because all the football I watch has keepers distributing the ball. Hard to think of one high level keeper that just booms it out every time. even those that are awkward are forced to do it to some extent. I don't think there's a way around it. If you're a coach, of course, like Mourinho said, sometimes you have to hunt with cats. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't rather hunt with dogs.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

But, the future of the club rests on the shoulders of 18-year-old centerback Hayden Sargis. He played the most regular-season minutes of any player on the club and started 14 of 16 games.

Sargis didn’t start against Phoenix Rising in the USL Western Conference Quarterfinals because of a coaching decision but the future for him is bright.

“There are so many words being said about Hayden,” Briggs said. “I think the most praise you can give him is that he is a future captain of this futbol club. The way he carries himself and the maturity he has on and off the field… the sky limit for Hayden.”
    https://www.sacbee.com/sports/mls/article246507575.html

6. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    Luksarus, TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Didn’t Jesse Gonzalez start at 19 for Dallas?

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez started 15 times in 2015, but all after he turned 20 in May.

Hamid started 9 times in 2010, and didn’t turn 20 until after the season.

Sandon Mibut and TarHeels17 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. NTSC beat Madison 1-0 on the road to keep their season alive. It was a PK at the death. They've gone on a bit of a run in the 2nd half of the season. They're 2 points back with a game to play. They need to win their last game, and a couple of other teams need to lose (Richmond and Omaha) in order to make the playoff.

Here was their starting lineup. Che and Bonilla started. Beni, Rayo, and Collin Smith did come off the bench.

11. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

that was an ugly game last night but Arturo came through with the PK. Is it possible he can be the USL League 1 MVP two years in a row and still be in the USL League 1 the third year? I can't figure this guy out. He kills it at USL 1 but can't get on the field for USL Championship team and they cut his loan short. FCD doesn't even give him a second thought apparently so where is he to go? Would hate to see him playin in USL 1 at age 26 having never gotten a chance to move up.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I have no idea what happened at Real Monarchs. That was the perfect step up for 2020. Apparently there was a reasonable transfer clause so that the RSL organization could have acquired him permanently. I don't really get it. Real Monarchs were terrible this year. One of the worst teams in the USL Championship. Surely they could have used him...............................

If I was an independent USL Championship team, he's a player I'd certainly take a close look at. OKC Energy or a team like that.

13. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Agree, can't figure that one out.

14. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    #839 Arantes, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    When Arturo was at Monarchs he was injured for a while limiting his ability to play. That said, a lot of people know or can see that Arturo has a strong/driven personality and that also didn't mesh well in the Monarch's locker room. It's one thing to boss around 16-20 year olds at North Texas and a different one to try to come to the USL-C reigning champions and attempt to boss older players.

You can see his personality on the field as he contests EVERY referee call even when he has no ground to stand on. In his first game back last month, North Texas was awarded a PK; he wanted to take the PK and had a moment with Damus at the PK spot. Damus ended up taking it but it was another Arturo moment.

He is very talented and needs to be given a lot of leash to roam around on the field. Eric allows that because Arturo delivers results. As we have seen, Luchi will not stand for that. Luchi favors athleticism and tactical discipline; Arturo has neither. His pathway to Dallas first team is limited as long as Luchi is there and yes, he needs to look elsewhere. He's turning 22 in December.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It was also not a particularly fun time to be part of the RSL organization.
    He was there right when the owner made his ill-fated comments..............

Of course Luchi plays with a "free 8" and allows a player like Pomykal to roam around the field. Pax, when he's actually fit, has that athleticism and discipline however.

I like Arturo. No reason not to. I just don't see any path forward for him. And I'm not convinced there's a path forward for his brother either. If they're going to get first team contracts it would have to be before the next wave of central midfielders come thru the academy. They're comin'. So the time is now, and I don't see it happening now. Pomykal's injury meant there was a need, and they weren't signed. The organization signed Ricuarte, who's doing pretty well...........instead.

jeff_adams repped this.
  16. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    paxten aaronson vs loudon
    1306030364322942976 is not a valid tweet id

17. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    jalen neal vs las vegas lights

18. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    jalen neal vs las vegas lights 9/15/20
    1306306289715286016 is not a valid tweet id

19. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    brandon craig vs loudon 9/16/20
    1308251187020533760 is not a valid tweet id

20. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    caden stafford mid season union ii highlights.
    1308609653861945351 is not a valid tweet id

21. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    jack mcgylnn mid season union ii highlights
    1308858618800939009 is not a valid tweet id

22. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    jalen neal vs reno 10/10
    1315272504072691717 is not a valid tweet id

23. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    the account posted these clips got suspended a couple days ago so i’ll be reposting each vid in their respective thread with this same message

dougtee repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Chris Brady (‘04) was one goal away from winning the USL L1 golden glove. He made a few nice saves in the first half, but there wasn’t much he could’ve done about Rennicks goal.

Justin Rennicks (‘99) has looked above this level in the games I’ve seen of him. Too fast, movement is too good, dribbles a little too well for these defenders. Colby Quinones (‘03) had another good performance. As I’ve said before, he’s the big hope right now for a quality HGP from that academy. Allan Rodriguez (‘04) unfortunately showed why he has barely played at this level so far this season.

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Okay, Paxten Aaronson is all kinds of fun. I get that the openings get smaller and less frequent as you move up, but he's a heckuva passer.