YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2019/2020 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 18, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Does territorial rights apply only to the most recent club a player was at or the last club a player was at where there would’ve been territorial rights? From how I understand the rules, there are no territorial rights surrounding the Barca academy in Arizona. Does that mean that his MLS related territorial rights then extend back to his time at Minnesota Thunder where Minnesota United would have territorial rights to the player and would have to approve of this deal?

2. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #102 Kombucha, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    There are a few factors with Clark.

1) Never actually played for Minn United Academy
    2) He left Minn United Territory roughly 3 years ago to play in an RSL Territory.
    3) Signed with USL on a non-HG Deal

I would be surprised if Clark can become a HG Player, but Minnesota has no claim here. RSL might have a claim, but signing with USL and not MLS is a backdoor way to becoming a professional.

We have seen it some in the past. Deigo Lopez, Harold Hanson signed out of LA to ATL II and Portland II respectively.

Territories hopefully go away though in the next CBA, but there are a few loopholes that can be exploited. ATL also got some players to transfer into their academy directly from other MLS academies

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    It’s not really much different than Julian Araujo, who technically is not a Galaxy HG player.

Also I believe Minnesota United didn’t have Clark’s age group up and running in their academy when he left for Barca AZ.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1 and #3 matter. Teams have rights for clubs within their territory and can exercise control of the players rights over USL or MLS. #2 is the crux of the issue. Does leaving Minnesota Thunder for Barca take away the rights of Minnesota United? Normally I’d think that leaving a region for another one gets rid of the rights and gives it to the team in the new region, but he went to an unaffiliated region, as you said.

#3 doesn’t matter.

Edit: What @ielag mentioned about Minnesota United not having his age group could be another factor. I’d be interested to know what the answer to this is, although I’m not sure any of us know. Even if the player made it clear he wasn’t signing with the team, if an MLS team has territorial rights, they have veto power over a move like this.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Clark went from potentially Minnesota territory to unaffiliated territory to NYRB signing.

Araujo went LAG territory to unaffiliated territory to LAG signing. There was no other team that had veto power here.

I’m not suggesting that Minnesota definitely did for Clark, but they might’ve.

6. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Lompoc is not in the Galaxy’s territory. It’s a good 60 miles outside of it.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Arizona was in RSL Territory when RSL was running RSL - AZ, but perhaps RSL ceded that territory when the moved the entire operation back up to Utah.

Perhaps if you are from Unaffiliated and go to Barca Academy then your Unaffiliated status moves with you and Clark moved in 2017 to Barca, so Minn United would have a fairly weak claim as the team had literally just started and I don't think their academy had even started yet. Definitely not his age group.

For sure though Harold Hanson and Deigo Lopez were from smack in the middle of LA Galaxy territory and they signed with ATL II and Portland II in USL. The entire issue is confusing, but I am fairly certain that at least in the past that MLS USL sides could snatch players from other MLS teams HG Territory and sign them to pro deals.

Anyway it is confusing and ever changing.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of a midfielder is Caden Clark?

9. Deevee

Deevee Member

Arsenal
    Germany
    Oct 27, 2019
    There could also be the possibility that Minnesota negotiated to receive allocation money from the team to get the HG rights, apparently this happens at times.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #110 ielag, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    The Barca AZ academy director is the new director for NYRB.

And possibly another reason why he chose NYRB (from this past summer)...

11. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Attacking mid, didn’t blow me away with his playmaking when I watched him but has a strong engine and smooth technique, good prospect and a good fit for RB system

12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    watching reyna is making me rethink playmaking. good playmakers might need better (higher soccer iq?) players around them to really show how good they are

Peter Bonetti and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

WheezingUSASupport and Sombrerito repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Apologies if I missed a post on this: Manny Perez was loaned to NCFC for 2020. The release notes that this is the second year of a three-and-a-half-year contract with Celtic, so I guess it's up midyear 2022.

Luksarus, ielag and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Not looking like the best decision in hindsight. He likely would’ve been the #1 pick in the 2019 SuperDraft and seen time if not be a starter for Cincy. Don’t really see a path to a Work Permit, even with the more lax standards in Scotland.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't really know this player, but his nationality is listed as United States in the column. A '98 keeper from Las Vegas that actually made the matchday squad four times for the Club America first team. Competition for Carlos Avilez.

Winoman, Luksarus and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

21. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Wonder if he’s any good too

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He was at the FCD academy and then the Dynamo academy.
    DIdn't stick at either place. Make of that what you will..............

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think he's anywhere near the level of player that his brother is. I do think he has some ability, and could carve out a pro career.

Sombrerito repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #125 Pl@ymaker, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2020/02/11/watch-fc-dallas-san-antonio-fc-preseason-scrimmage
    San Antonio is playing against FC Dallas right now and '01 Jose Gallegos has been breaking ankles. I wish it was possible for him to play in MLS instead of USL this season.