YNT-Eligible Lower Division-Pro Players (‘01-Younger): 2023-24 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 26, 2023.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More from Orange County

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Might be another kid that was 6'3" 130 lbs. at 16.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21 year old Roald Mitchell putting up video game numbers down in MLSNP

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I was shocked that he didn't get signed 3 years ago. A prototype striker.

5. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Maximo Carrizo (08) had one of his most complete games for NYCFC II in a 6-2 rout of New England last night. He had a secondary assist on the first goal, then the assist on the second, and scored the third himself.

The secondary assist was a nice one-time ball to the channel off a loose clearance that had popped up into the air. The assist came as he took a wider position on the wing than his usual preference to make a deep run towards the end line, cutting it back right at the edge of the box and playing an inch perfect cross for a header. The goal was one he's been trying for a while; he took on a few defenders at the shoulder of the box before driving horizontally towards zone 14 and taking the left footed shot. He doesn't hit these shots off the dribble convincingly but this one beat the keeper.

He was very involved throughout the game and in my opinion, his biggest area of growth has been the ability to feel the pressure coming and make the right decision. In previous seasons he would overdribble and lose the ball but in this game and throughout the season he's shown an ability to either beat the first defender or be able to ride a physical challenge and still get upfield or play the ball off to someone who can. Technically he's so clean and can pick a pass out all over the field so his adaptation to the speed of the game is huge.

Jonathan Shore (07) came on as his substitute and scored a back post tap in. I go back and forth on him. He's obviously technically gifted, and his movement is great as long as he can get to where he wants to be. He doesn't have great burst or top end speed yet and physically he's much slighter than Carrizo. His passing is good, but not great, and tends to break down when the game speeds up.

McFarlane (06) and Drew Baeira (07) both started and had some decent moments. Neither got on the score sheet, but got up the field to attack when the situation called for it.

NYCFC II has Hartford Athletic this week in the Open Cup. It's a huge jump in opponent strength, and on the road, so most likely their run will end. They have the talent to make Hartford work for it though.

ussoccer97531, gogorath and deejay repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maximo Carrizo goal:

gogorath repped this.
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Dude needs to be up with the senior team. They're still rolling Elias Manoel out there.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see a lower division team playing the kids... Oakland Roots in US Open Cup

gogorath repped this.
  10. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Hartford-NYCFC was all kinds of nuts, and I won’t go into too much detail as I’m still processing it myself.

That said, Maximo Carrizo scored the winner for NYCFC deep into extra time. Throughout the game he was unflappable against a much tougher opponent than any he’s faced so far. Technically just a clear cut above the rest and even more noticeable as the rest of his team struggled with Hartford’s intense pressure. He wasn’t perfect, but got the job done. He also went the full 120 when he’s normally one of the first subs.

here’s the goal with buildup:

A lot of players would struggle to keep that on frame - its slightly higher than ideal and of course adrenaline is pumping like crazy.

glutton4Bolts, xbhaskarx and gogorath repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Carrizo has some of the best pure technique I've seen in an American player. Just a complete natural on the ball.

glutton4Bolts and deejay repped this.
  12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #162 xbhaskarx, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024

Korede Osundina

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He implies USL vs MLS are just two equal options to get to Europe. I again ask what level in Europe.
    It's not, it's a lower level. Granted there are a few top prospects do not sign with MLS to try to go to Europe on a Free, but that does not mean equal to. MLS is a higher standard of play, pays more, better facilities, more resources of course MLS usually has longer contracts and USL will sign you to single year contracts which kinda proves my point. By signing you as a show pony and not to a legitimate soccer and talent based contract proves they are not in the business of properly investing in their assets to develop, or sell for value. Proving your talent in MLS and getting purchased by a higher club in Europe sets you up to the top echelons of world soccer and not just a 3rd Division Norwegian "pro" team.
    Europe has so many levels. So of course USL youth players are going to imply their choice to ignore the big bad restrictive contracts of the MLS to go to Europe as soon as possible, but that doesn't mean their talent means that it was an option to begin with.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    That could be inferred, but yes, the players who go the USL route that have MLS options often are doing so to be on a free at 18, which more literal to what he said.

I'm sure there are players in MLS academies who want to play at the highest level just as much, but I'm also sure there are guys who grew up with their squads and really just want to play for FC Dallas or whatever.

I will agree on one thing: there is a difference between an aspiration to get to Europe and an aspiration to play at the highest levels. One of the things that is clear about some of these guys is that they view Europe as the destination -- as having made it -- rather than a step. I think the realities of it often come as a shock.

The track record of the MLS --> USL --> Europe is not very strong. Even if you toss in guys who simply didn't sign with MLS, of the guys who waited until 18, the hit rate ain't great and is largely comprised of players who did it before MLS shifted its strategy.

Being a second tier prospect, even a second tier USYNT player, and going this route really hasn't panned out at all. Luca de la Torre, maybe? Maybe Taylor Booth? The Sargents and McKennies were going to succeed in most places.

Playing against lower competition for two years then trying to break into much stronger competition on a free for a team that has zero investment in you is an interesting path.

xbhaskarx, SUDano and deejay repped this.
  15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Good Post. Even the days of good prospects just not wanting to sign with MLS and go to Europe at 16/18 are reducing due to MLS/Next/Pro being a better environment for development and the pay is solid. Of course there will be a few but the Cavan Agreement setting a solid precedent for creative ways of a win/win for all the parties. Now young players can sign, get paid very well, develop here, MLS fans get to see them play and develop and then go when it truly warrants.

gogorath repped this.
  16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Lots of players just continued their training with their MLS or non-MLS youth academy and then went to Europe on a free. By far, their results have been better than the USL route.

17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I imagine USL will get a number of types of players.

1. Local players.
    2. Players who want to go to Europe at 18 at all costs.
    3. Players who have a shitty MLS team.
    4. Players who want playing time and to play.
    5. Players who aren't offered pro contracts.

#1/#5 are one of the huge benefits of USL's existence.

And #3/#4 are valuable especially while homegrown territories exist. Do I blame Diego Luna or Fidel Barajas for leaving the Quakes? I do not.

I think #2 decreases over time. We still have this sort of lingering cultural ideas about US player development, or the willingness of MLS teams to sell. Choice is a wonderful thing, but while a signed player is limited to teams that'll buy him at a price the club is willing to sell ... a player who has only played at the USL is limited by the fact that most teams aren't all that invested in a USL-level player.

USL is going to have to start increasing payroll sooner or later, though. I think there's definitely a movement to create a 12 team premier league of teams with a bit more economic heft. But right now, one of the bigger issues for development there is the lack of real game-breaking athleticism and talent. I think it's tough to understand what you need to do to defend there or what of your offensive repetoire actually works when there's no one faster or quicker than you.

I'm not shocked that a Gomez has possibly hit a bit of a ceiling or if we don't hear much from Wynder because of this. Playing in MLS would have really told Gomez where he stands as a defender -- Messi, Bernadeschi, Paintsill, etc., and forced him to make adjustments. I'm not sure he had to in USL.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally... "Little Messi" Hassan Ayari is coming to MLS Next Pro!

Boysinblue repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 year old Ramiz Hamouda made his pro debut for Birmingham Legion

glutton4Bolts and gogorath repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

gogorath repped this.
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if they know something or this is speculation...

23. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I don’t think they know anything in particular. Maximo will be heading to an Argentina camp soon based on what I’ve heard.

I do think that it will be hard to justify mot providing a first team debut by season’s end. He’s currently one of the best players on the II team and one of the better attacking midfielders in the league. Peer talent debuted in MLS around the same age. He wouldn’t even be in the top 10 youngest debuts if he does so after May.

NYCFC II is one of the more enjoyable sides to watch in MLS Next Pro, both for the youth talent and general style. They also have a decent chance of getting past the next round of the Open Cup (at home against a weaker side than Hartford) which would most likely mean hosting Real Salt Lake in the round of 16

xbhaskarx repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's tops here

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacksonville Armada FC to Operate MLS NEXT Academy

In a pioneering move for the future of soccer in Jacksonville, the Jacksonville Armada FC has announced a strategic partnership with Major League Soccer and Jacksonville FC (JFC) to fund and operate the U16, U17, and U19 MLS NEXT teams. This collaborative effort marks a significant step and financial commitment by Owner, Robert Palmer to forward the professional development of soccer talent in the region, aligning with the Armada's vision as they prepare to enter MLS NEXT Pro.

Under this partnership, the U16, U17, and U19 MLS NEXT teams previously operated by Jacksonville FC will now proudly bear the Jacksonville Armada FC name, reflecting a unified approach to nurturing elite talent and building a strong soccer culture in Jacksonville. The move signifies a shared commitment between all organizations under the Major League Soccer umbrella to elevate the standard of player development in the community, across the professional pathway. ​