YNT-eligible college players -- 2021 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Aug 8, 2021.

1. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe Chifamba traveled for the ACC opener last night.

2. Campeones123

Campeones123 Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Sep 2, 2021
    Honestly imo this has been so far the worst college season in terms of clear prospects in some time. Of course it's still early in the season but usually there are a few names you know will be Generation Adidas or top draft looks. If you look at most of the top performers so far, they are either international kids that will be 23/24 coming into the MLS or kids stuck in Homegrown rights that won't be in the draft (Bezerra, Benalcazar, Petkovic, Polvara)

3. Deevee

Deevee Member

Arsenal
    Germany
    Oct 27, 2019
    Looking at the list, Josh Ramsey has started and played every minute for Notre Dame so far this season and Matthew Roou has scored a couple of big goals for them as well. Bailey Sparks is having a big impact for SMU in minutes he is getting.
    It is early has people are pointing out, but I think some of the young kids will start to get noticed.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Matthew Roou (‘03) has 3 goals in 367 minutes. One of the better starts to the season among freshmen.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Five games into the season, '03 Roald Mitchell has played in every game for Wake Forest, but started none, and has 0G/0A. Not sure about minutes. (Only a few guys have started every game, so perhaps the coach is still testing things. One of those guys is Kyle Holcomb, the team's key attacker.)

6. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Chifamba played midweek for Clemson and had an assist in a 5-0 win over Georgian Southern, but then didn't play in their 3-0 win over BC. You might have to carry a smaller roster for ACC games as he seems to have been a healthy scratch in both ACC games this year.

Clemson has outscored opponents 25-1 in 7 games with Isiah Reed with 6 goals. Reed is a JR from Rock Hill, SC. Played for Charlotte Soccer Academy in the DA.

Clemson plays @UNCG, Pitt, @WFU, so will see how good the team really is over this stretch. Clemson always scores a ton of goals.

My gut is what is keeping Chifamba on the bench is their need a physical presence in the midfield that will cover a ton of ground and win balls. Not sure this style of soccer plays to his strengths right now.

Boysinblue repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He lacks in size, but covers a lot of ground and wins the ball back very well. College coaches notoriously like playing older players and don’t care what you’ve accomplished in the game. When these guys go play college soccer, it’s often a lottery. If you don’t get early playing time and have great initial success, you’re in big trouble.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I watched a bit of last night's (rainy) Notre Dame-Michigan game. Roou scored the second goal for ND, which you can see here -- a composed finish.

https://und.com/ndmenssoccer-highlights-vs-michigan-09-21-2021/

I think he'll be helped by the fact that the Irish have Jack Lynn, an solid and experienced senior attacker, to attract attention.

9. Campeones123

Campeones123 Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Sep 2, 2021
    It was actually Lynn that scored the goal, the commentators have it wrong. I believe they acknowledged it on the broadcast a couple of minutes later.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ahh -- you're right. I just looked more closely at the replay and you can see it was #27 (Lynn) on that finish with Roou (#21) trailing. A nice goal though!

Campeones123 repped this.
  11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I haven't watched them this year, but my Hoyas are ranked #1. The national championship team actually had a few good players on it (though not all American).

Any real prospects on the team?

12. Soccerfan12435

Apr 22, 2019
    United States
    Stefan Stojanovic, who saw some time with the last U20 group and is draft eligible
    Dante Polvara, who is a midfielder but is not draft eligible and NYCFC hold his rights until graduation

Not sure about any other names

gogorath repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They've got some names, though. :)

Will Sands, James' brother.

Trevor Burns, son of Mike Burns.

Hey what ever happened to that former FCD midfielder who I thought committed to Georgetown? Diego Letayf. Did he never show up?

gogorath repped this.
  14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I guess not. Didn't he sign down in Mexico?

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, last I saw he was at Tigres.

Nearly that whole team are worthwhile prospects, but none of them are elite caliber prospects. Some will emerge as pros, and others who had the potential to be pros won't. Another player I like is Sean Zawadski, but looking at that roster there is a lot of depth without being any elite players.

gogorath repped this.
  16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    That's not surprising. It's college, and Georgetown definitely plays in a manner that uses the college substitution rules to their benefit. It's very smart, but it also lends itself to a deep team of lots of good players and less the superstar model.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #42 Clint Eastwood, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Letayf had signed a LOI in the spring to play at Georgetown.
    I don't know what happened there. Of course, he's presumably not a citizen. Mexican youth international.
    https://guhoyas.com/news/2021/3/31/...igns-eight-to-national-letters-of-intent.aspx

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think he was ever close to US citizenship either. Four seasons of college soccer (or four playing soccer anywhere in the US) would help get him closer to eligibility or make him eligible. For now, he’s not relevant to the US program, unless he comes back stateside.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Also, for those of you looking to check in on a name that's been on these boards for years, '03 Lateef Omidji is a freshman contributing to UNLV's team.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #46 Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    According to the NCAA leaderboard, the top-ranked listed freshman in goals scored is Louisville's Aboubacar Camara, who appears to be from Guinea but was called into a past YNT camp -- which, I learned today, no longer seems to have its callups listed online, which is bad news for researchers (or, ya know, dorks like me) if those pages are dropping off the U.S. Soccer site.

https://web.archive.org/web/2018070...it-brings-153-players-together-in-single-camp

Camara was listed as a freshman last year, too, so maybe he was reclassified? I dunno.

https://gocards.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/aboubacar-camara/12419

He might be an '02.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He’s an ‘02.

23. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NCAA basically had a free season for 2020 for student-athletes. So he is a "covid" Freshman.

NoHammiesAltidore repped this.
  24. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Winoman repped this.