Yet another nice Freddy Adu Video

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by ohgod, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Pablosammy

Pablosammy New Member

May 29, 2005
    Sheffield
    Hmmm... deflected goals, bobbling shots, poor defending. True, there's one or two nice moves in that video but nothing that half the 16 year olds at Premiership clubs couldn't do. Rooney was much better and stronger at that age.

I was an Adu hopeful (having never seen him play before) but that video hasn't exactly filled me with enthusiasm. Overrated? If that's his highlight reel, then maybe he is...

2. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. fnsandpwr

fnsandpwr New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Houston
    That's just stupid.

4. Pablosammy

Pablosammy New Member

May 29, 2005
    Sheffield
    Care to elaborate?

5. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    well i agree not the best highlight reel...besides a sick move(around the 1:49 mark)and a couple of good dribbling goals, there's nothing that would impress someone who has never seen him...

6. danny_mac3

danny_mac3 New Member

May 19, 2005
    France & USA
    I rememebr the goal against the Galaxy in his first year I believe. It played on the highlight shows in France for several days.

And no, he's not as good as Rooney at that age. For one thing Rooney is built perfectly for the EPL and was very strong for his age, kind of like Lebron James, just ready made into a man's body.

Freddy has a way to go, but his skill is clear to see. and he's famous as hell in Europe already, everyone I talk to just assumes he'll be on for the WC. Oh well, they'll have to wait for the next one it looks like.

BTW, thanks for the vid.

7. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    when rooney was freddy's age he hadn't played a second in the premiership.

8. Pablosammy

Pablosammy New Member

May 29, 2005
    Sheffield
    Thanks for that balanced view. I like the way you put your argument across. Anyway, here's my breakdown of the reel. Right, here we go...

Clip 1: Nice run, good pace, excellent turn to start the move. Poor defending, but I shoudln't take anything away from a promising play.

Clip 2: Wow. He can take a corner. Which self respecting pro player can't? Seriously, how did that make the highlights?

Clip 3: Again, no better than anything I've seen at Championship level.

Clip 4: Should've been dealt with by the defender. That move would have been cut short by any defender worth his weight.

Clip 5: Pub football skills. The ball gets a lucky bounce off the defender's shins.

Clip 6: A deflected goal. Again, how did that make the highlight reel?

Clip 7: He did well to get the opportunity, but the finish was dubious and the run wasn't really challenged at all.

Clip 8: One of the worst on the reel. A wasted chance coming from a lucky bounce off a defender. He should have done better with the cross/shot/whatever it was.

Clip 9: Nicely held up, but hardly scintillating stuff. Again, is this really a highlight?

Clip 10: OK, but nothing to impress here.

Clip 11: A blocked shot? Really, is that worthy of inclusion?

Clip 12: A cross. Wow. No, really. No sarcasm here.

Clip 13: Pretty cool move, I have to admit.

Clip 14: Probably the best move on the reel. Any player would have been proud of that.

Clip 15: A bobbling shot, which a decent keeper would have had. Hardly worth shouting about.

Clip 16: A through ball? That's it? Nice header though, who was that?

Clip 17: Defenders?

Clip 18: A training ground piece of skill. Every player has his party trick.

Seriously, there's not much worthy of notice here. The crosses and blocked shots smack of desperation on the composer's part. Was there really nothing better to include than the majority of this video?

9. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    i just read your "critique" obviously you clicked on the video ready to present your oppurtunity to rag on anything that wasn't freddy dribbling past 5 players.

please tighten your grip on reality. It was an excellent compilation, and you wont find any 16 year old in the world who could put together a series of plays half as good as the ones in that compilation.

It's also clear to me that your criticisms of freddy rest on you underestimating mls, they seem to be connected, that is, someone's opinion of adu, mls, and the usmnt.

10. cbuscat

cbuscat New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Beijing
    That was Josh Gros. If you want to check out many game highlights from MLS, go to mlsnet.com and click on sights and sounds on the left menu. Then there is a drop-down for almost all the games this year.

The quality of play may surprise you ;)

11. Pablosammy

Pablosammy New Member

May 29, 2005
    Sheffield

I see what you're saying, but does a cross or a blocked shot really merit inclusion on a highlight reel? I'm not saying I wasn't impressed with some of the stuff on there, but there was also some questionable bits, you have to admit!

Cheers for that! I'm under no illusions about the level of MLS. I've been following it for some time, if only for the reason that if you put any effort into it you could become better than England and the majority of the world's major soccer nations! However, the hype around Adu seems a little bit excessive, at least given that video.

12. fnsandpwr

fnsandpwr New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Houston
    Come on, you compared him to Rooney..Not many are close to Rooney's level, although I agree with your criticizm of the clips- I don't think you will find many players that can do that at 14...

13. fnsandpwr

fnsandpwr New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Houston
    I'll make a Freddy Adu comp...See how you like it ;)...
    [Yes, I am refering to Pablosammy]...

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How did Rivaldo's vs. Belgium in 2002?

15. DaY 23

DaY 23 New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    slough

eah he did when he was sixteen he came on of the bench to score that amazing goal gainst arsenal.

16. DaY 23

DaY 23 New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    slough
    that was the first time i haver sen him play and......he is actually not bad, very pacey, very skillful, but he will the stuffing nocked out of him if he came to europe mainly england and i dont think that soome of his goals would have gone in the prem or in the other top leagues cos of the difference in defending, not to take anything away from freddy he is alright.

17. Pablosammy

Pablosammy New Member

May 29, 2005
    Sheffield
    I'm all eyes! Seriously, I'm not trying to naysay here, but I just wasn't that impressed considering the hype.

I'm almost certain the hype came from his awesome potential on Championship Manager though... ;)

18. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    when rooney was freddy's age, he hadn't played a second in the premiership

19. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean when Freddy FIRST came into MLS? Or do you mean when Rooney was Freddy's age currently? Because Wayne Rooney started in the Premiership when he was 16 and scored a breathtaking goal against Arsenal for Everton. I have the goal on video, dude.

Now again, if you mean when Freddy first came into MLS, then you're right.

20. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're an Englishman who knows nothing about U.S. soccer, hasn't even seen a tenth of Adu's ability, and comes onto the U.S. section of the site to troll.

Better?

21. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    when rooney was freddy's age currently, he hadn't played a second in the premiership.

In terms of scoring in the premiership, that's even further away, 16 years, 360 days.

22. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    And neither would Freddy if he played for an EPL club. Whats your point?

23. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    he's got nothing on simon elliot

24. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Again - whats your point?