YES: Smith is in (well, uundergoing physical, anyway)

Discussion in 'Reading FC' started by mschofield, Aug 24, 2009.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the "About time" category, Tommy Smith is finally in Reading. SHould complete the transfer today (monday, august 24) and be practising tomorrow. Besides the fact that he's already scored two and set up several in league (kind of makes our one look pathetic), he's a talented, experienced pro. Couldn't be happier. The report

2. SlackerMacker

SlackerMacker Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Yes!! Hopefully he can start right away, WE NEED GOALS!!

3. SlackerMacker

SlackerMacker Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Club:
    Reading FC
  4. lestat2x

lestat2x Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Rodgers was babbling on about other targets and I believe Howe was as well. I'd be surprised if Smith signs with Reading over Pompey. Its not just a chance in the EPL, its a chance to get paid wages that are more considerable.

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well, hoping for a savior right now was probably too good to be true. Maybe i was putting too much hope in Smith, anyway.
    the two players they brought in are cover-quality, though the polish int has been better in the past, and mcanuff has been okay. Neither are upgrades over what we had last year. But smith wasn't either, he was a step down from doyle.
    Just going to have to adjust to watching a team struggle as if learns to play. Been a while, but we've been in this situation before (just not for a long while).
    And it is looking as if Harps will be sold before the window closes.
    :(

6. SlackerMacker

SlackerMacker Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Club:
    Reading FC
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/football/teams/r/reading/8225581.stm

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/s...siak-and-mcanuff-on-board--four-more-to-come/

Looks like we finally got some transfer movements going on, though it looks like last-minute stuff from failing @ Tommy Smith. Both are from Watford, can't really say much about them as I never followed Watford last season or heard of these players but looks like Grzegorz Rasiak has got a decent goal record. I really hope he can make a difference since i doubt S.Long can fill in the shoes of Doyle.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i don't remember them from last year, but i've seen them before that. Raiak was very good at, southhampton i think, or derby. pretty sure it was in the championship, at least. I don't think he's a first choice striker now, but he is experienced. McAnuff has been linked with Reading before, i think. He's, IMO, a huge step down from harps.
    This is at least some experience, but it hardly makes us a top side.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    okay, i was wrong about Rasiak, or at least i was wrong to dismiss him so quickly, a lot of goals scored, and not a bad player, strong, scores with his right foot and head, aggressive around the goal, plays target well. could be a very nice match for what we need. coudln't figure out the embed deal

sorry, put his name in youtube, and there's one where a fan calls him the god of football

9. lestat2x

lestat2x Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Its good to see some strengthening in areas where we are laughably weak, ie target forward and winger. I'm thinking Madejski is just thinking survival this year, b/c if we fall off of the championship cliff his valuation of Reading of $100 million pounds will look ridiculous. What is going on with Mooney btw, not getting time simply because he is a Coppell signing?

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    From what i've seen of him, and that's not an overwhelming amount, Mooney is one of those stirkers that folks just have a hard time loving. He's not bit and strong, he's not fast. He doesn't have a rocket foot, and isn't a master of the dribble.
    He 's in the right place, a lot, and puts away what comes to him. His timing is really impressive, so he gets his head on balls you woudln't think he should. And his placement is pretty good.
    IMO, he gets the job done, but leaves folks wondering how.

11. SlackerMacker

SlackerMacker Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Club:
    Reading FC
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5516660,00.html

Just putting it out there, I don't know if a lot of people that came under Steve Coppell are settling in. I really hope we start using Matejovsky more, he has the highest potential and enough experience in my opinion, yet we rarely use him. He's banned from the national team so the club is all he has to focus on anyways.