Yes, MLS can force a change is franchise "ownership"

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Mac97, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    harrylee773 repped this.
  2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Jozy said he’s got a group ready to buy.

Mac97 repped this.
  3. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Hansen and Real Salt Lake chief financial officer Andy Carroll spoke on the show — a radio station that Hansen owns — for 15 minutes."

Not sure why, but I feel like there's some irony in him effectively trying to muzzle the players he employs using a media outlet he owns. Like, hey dipshit, not everyone just owns a radio station they can leverage to get their message out, this player's strike (it's not a boycott BTW) was the only outlet they felt they had.

Anyway, that's probably not irony, not even in an Alanis Morrissette kind of way, but it's still dumb. Also, get him out of RSL, immediately, please MLS.

lethargytartare repped this.
  4. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    “It’s a moment of sadness,” Hansen said. “It’s like somebody stabbed you and you’re trying to figure out a way to pull the knife out and move forward. That’s what it feels like. The disrespect is profound to me personally."

Or...almost like someone shot you in the back 7 times and handcuffed you to the bed so you wouldn't run away even though you are now paralyzed and you are trying to not die and move forward and the disrespect is profound to you personally? Does if feel at all like that rich entitled owner of several sports teams and a radio station? You douchebag!

lethargytartare, GHjelm, bunge and 2 others repped this.
  5. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just a second thought...I am SO happy these MLS, NBA, MLB, NFL players all decided to sit down and not tap dance for the masses. When this starts hitting rich assholes in the wallet NOW it becomes THEIR problem too. When rich guys are affected they are going to start putting pressure on politicians to make changes to get the cash flowing again. I'm VERY happy with the Milwaukee Bucks and every MLS player who decided to stand up for decency.

6. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ayup- they can all cry to 'keep politics out of it' all they want, but we know damn well they have no problem getting politician's ears when it comes to subsidizing their stadiums, training facilities, team offices, etc. The players have a good deal of power here and I'm glad to see them use it.

7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, on Fox News last night, they stated that it sure was good that the NBA players made enough to "take a night off without any repercussions...."
    (meaning, rich black guys, I presume)

8. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Dell Loy Hansen has history of racist comments as RSL owner
    https://theathletic.com/2027796/202...ents-as-rsl-owner/?source=user_shared_article

“Hansen’s comments may have come as a surprise to some, but they were anything but for long-time RSL employee Andy Williams. To Williams, who joined Salt Lake as a player during its inaugural season in 2005 and served as the club’s head scout from his retirement in 2011 until he was furloughed in April, the comments are simply the latest in a long line of racist behavior from Hansen, who also owns the USL’s Real Monarchs and NWSL’s Utah Royals.

“That’s just how he is,” said Williams, who is Black. “He’s a ********ing racist, to be honest. I’ve been in situations where it’s like (former LA Clippers owner) Donald Sterling. He says something, and it’s like, ‘Oh my God, what did he just say?’ It’s Donald Sterling part two. It’s just unbelievable. It’s crazy how he doesn’t see that the stuff that he says affects people.”

9. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No wait, Hansen's idiocy grows even bigger:

Report: RSL players barred from training at practice facilities morning after protest

It’s an unprecedented move by management at the club on an already unprecedented day.

By Matt Montgomery@TheCrossbarRSL Aug 27, 2020, 1:51pm MDTShare this on Facebook (opens in new window)
    [​IMG]Jeffrey Swinger-USA TODAY Sports
    In what is a stunning turn of events, it appears that Real Salt Lake players have been barred from practice facilities today after striking in protest last night.

Update, 2:10 p.m.: Further information indicates that the players may have been barred from the facilities after the conclusion of practice — we are seeking further clarification on this.

Update, 2:25 p.m.: Real Salt Lake players were present at the facilities for COVID-19 testing, but they were told they couldn’t practice.

The news first emerged from a Twitter user apparently named Kirk:

RSL Soapbox has independently confirmed that players were not allowed to train at Real Salt Lake’s practice facilities today with a source inside the team.

It is unbelievably petty and insensitive of Dell Loy Hansen, whose time at Real Salt Lake looks to be coming to a swift end.

With news coming that the MLS Board of Governors is meeting to discuss the future of Dell Loy Hansen as Real Salt Lake owner, it appears that things are going to weirder and weirder before they settle down.

bunge repped this.
  10. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  12. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    harrylee773 and xtomx repped this.
  13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pennsylvania Dave and harrylee773 repped this.
  14. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  15. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the new owner will rename the team RSL "Football Club" and come up with a new logo and colors for the team. That's what a good owner does right?

No, I'm not bitter...why? ;)

goldclover, LIZZIE, bunge and 1 other person repped this.
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, we basically stole the RSL colors and logo, so I expect they choose red/white and have a logo that connects to something meaningful in their city. Maybe the Fire Department or something.

Yeah, I am not bitter, either.

17. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Can I say I HATE HATE HATE having Navy and White jerseys. Why oh why???

Old Man! and bunge repped this.
  18. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is why:
    [​IMG]

19. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    You MODERATOR!

20. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That weasel looks nothing like me.

21. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    We’re ditching the yellow

bunge and Old Man! repped this.
  22. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what else? The entire rebrand needs a rethink.

bunge repped this.
  23. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    It looks like a knock off of the Red Stars logo. Like if the Red Stars did a soft rebrand. I am not a fan. It doesn’t have the Chicago flag like the Red Stars logo but something else instead. Colors go back to red, navy, and then sky blue. Logo itself can be better and must be reworked or we will be bitching all over again.

Old Man! repped this.
  24. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update! I guess we'll wait and see. What about the jerseys? Red with a white hoop? I'm more committed to the colors than I am the logo.

25. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Not sure, they may not have even gone that far yet. They had two variations of that logo one with a sky blue border and one with a red border. There’s one big eye sore in this though that absolutely must be fixed and that’s why I bitched about it on Twitter. Giving them an opportunity to fix it or they have no one to blame but themselves.

Old Man! repped this.