Yerry Mina - News & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by pepinointer, May 1, 2016.

1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    must start against Brazil. He will get 3 goals off James/Arias Corners

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    JArias is suspended due to yellows.

3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    fk.... and potentially no Diaz.... hope Cuadrado still injured or he starting

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cuadrado has not played a minute since early October so I assume he will not be called.

5. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I kind of wish Mina wasn't called up. I know he's a stud in our CB line up but just want him to stay healthy for a bit longer and get some minutes in club. Otherwise, if he's called up he'll start and play a full 90+ against Brazil and then likely he's back on the injury list. He's just that injury prone.

lvbeto and Azucarero repped this.
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I hear ya, but that is just speculation.
    Even if he does not play a full 90 he can get injured. He can get injured during training at Fiorentina for all we know. So I rather he play a full 90 for us than just practice and be at the bench in Italy.

If he is not called up hopefully Lucumi is fit enough to play. (Was on the bench for Bologna so there is a chance.) Would be nice to see both of them start but not sure that will happen.

kromekote repped this.
  7. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wouldn't call him up.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So you would stick with Davinson and Cuesta as the pairing?

9. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think it depends on where his fitness is at but I probably wouldn't start him either way vs Brazil. Have him as a back up and maybe consider playing him 60 minutes against Paraguay after he's got some more time training or have him as a sub for both games. Also Lucemi was on the bench this weekend so assume he's somewhat fit. Doesn't feel great to have them both as backups just off injury, so at minimum we probably should call just one or have 5 CB's minimum in camp.

Azucarero repped this.
  10. lvbeto

lvbeto Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    if he isn't fit enough to play a full game with Fiore then no he shouldn't play for us. I'd call him but not start him. But that just means we waste a roster spot on a guy who shouldn't play. Fiore have a Thursday Conference League match and a Sunday Seria A match. There are minutes for him. Let's see if sees any playing time.

Azucarero repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I guess I am old school.
    If doctors clear you to play you have to play. Especially if it is an important match. We need leadership in the back. Cannot play the way we did against Uruguay and expect to win in a disorganized shootout. It would be the same result or maybe worse, a high scoring loss.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  12. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he gets cleared to play more times than he actually plays

Furnaccio, kromekote and Azucarero repped this.
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And he gets injured almost every time that he plays.

Azucarero repped this.
  14. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    If, say, Yerry starts these matches, gets injured again, and misses a considerable amount of time, would it have been worth it?

This may be a difference of values.

At his best, Yerry is probably still our best CB. By playing him in 90 minutes in two matches not even a week apart, he got injured and completely missed our last 2 matches--not to mention his club debut. And these were matches many of us have acknowledged may have ended differently with Yerry on the pitch.

The only logic I can see in giving him a heavy workload for the NT before his club starts giving him a significant workload is if, given his track record, you assume he's going to get injured anyway. In that thinking, play him when you have the opportunity, and F the long term.

I don't like that strategy because it means turning too much to Davinson, especially since Lorenzo is obsessed with veterans. Keep Mina, Lucumi, and Cuesta fresh by rotating the three--and Davinson--whenever possible.

If Yerry plays against Brazil, do NOT play him the week after.

ryu79 and dapip repped this.
  15. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    As good as Yerry can be with us, every player still needs game minutes to get back up to speed with positioning, speed of game, intensity, etc. I think if Lorenzo calls him up though it's not to sit him on a bench. I wouldnt mind a rotation but it's also the lineup that any DT likes to twinker with the least for obvious reasons. Let's be honest, even this 'weaker' Brazil we're not beating. It's the Colombia mojo.

J-Mezzy and Azucarero repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I understand and can respect everyone's opinions based on injury history. I can see why people would be hesitant to start Mina a couple games especially with what happened in September. I also would not be surprised if he is not even called up and would support that decision.

That said, Mina might surprise us. Many people were skeptical about James being able to play back-to-back matches and staying healthy. Especially when one game was in the heat of Barranquilla and the other was at altitude. And he surprised us all.

That partially gives me hope that there is a chance Mina could ball out for us in a couple matches and remain relatively unscathed. But yes, I would not be surprised if he got injured too.
    That is the risk you run in a contact sport.
    However, if he is medically clear to play I think he should play.

17. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

Both James and Mina offer the same problem. Their fitness is NOT dependable. Mina is a solid performer and our best CB. But he hasn't been dependable for YEARS. His injuries have been a detriment to his club and country when he's needed the most. To build a team, any team, under the premise that 'maybe this' time it will be Ok, really worries me for the short/mid/long-term.

I actually find it irresponsible. Even if he does have a great match vs Brazil, which wouldn't shock any of us, it's just not a solution. If this was matchday 16-18 and it was do or die, then I would say, thrown him in there as a last gasp option. But not when we still have the time to build a proper pairing and are in a position on the table where we are relatively safe for the time being.

It takes time to form a proper CB spine where you need 2 players that move in almost perfect sync. Clubs practice and test their CB pairing timing all the time. Rewatch Colombia vs Uruguay and you can see how Cuesta and Sanchez were just not on the same page on or off the ball. That takes time to work out those kinks. And so reinvesting all that time to Mina (or James) as opposed to working with what you can depend on isn't a solid strategy and just prolonging the inevitable.

If we're going to take a gamble on recently injured players, then I'd prefer Lucumi over Mina, paired up with Cuesta.

Azucarero and HomietheClown repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cuesta Lucumi would make the most sense out of the alternative pairings.

But he has not played a minute in a long time. Mina actually has. But Lucumi may play this weekend so that may change.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would not be shocked if Davinson starts with Lucumi though.

20. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    haha I see how you covered your stats there... Mina played just ONE MINUTE literally...

HomietheClown repped this.
  21. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Finally played against Genk. The whole 90min

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Also had a nice header off a corner that the keeper had to save. The rebound was then immediately put in by the other CB.

23. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm going to catch the rerun of this, just for yerry. I rly want him to stay at in Serie a

crzdcolombian repped this.
  24. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Just came on the last 6 minutes for Fiorentina

Mina can walk he should start for the NT

rumor is Boca wants him. He needs to go where he can start and they have a great medical team

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He looked so out of shape and slow his last start so I am not surprised he is just a bencher getting scrap minutes.

I would love for him go to Boca and become an idol. I hope that rumor has some legs to it.
    No offense to all our River fan friends who browse around here of course.