Yerry Mina - News & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by pepinointer, May 1, 2016.

1. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Everton loose a huge game 3-2 to Burnley after having a 2-1 lead in their biggest game of the season, they are now really up abasing it in the relegation battle with a hellish schedule left. They are really missing Mina, his leadership and ability makes a big difference. They're also missing James, has to go down as an all time shit show the business they've done in the last year.

ryu79, dapip and Furnaccio repped this.
  2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I remember the days when we had high hopes for Mina-Davinson to be our duo for 3 World Cup cycles.

What it is to dream….[emoji24]

villus and crzdcolombian repped this.
  3. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Who could predict how much Davinson would fall apart mentally after his start at Tottenham. It's crazy how nervous he is on the ball and his lapses in concentration. We focus on the goals we didn't score - but we scored away in Asuncion and tied because homie got pantsed.

On Everton - the crazy thing is how the press totally backed Rafa as it was happening. The general acceptance that James was a disaster and must go after he was by far their most impactful player last year and same thing as Rafa sold Digne...Benitez destroyed that team in like three months and their fans and the media were totes ok with it as it was happening.

dapip and Azucarero repped this.
  4. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Davinson just never has progressed with his play on the ball, and his defending hasn't improved, he really has disappointed in his progression as a player, Mina I still think is very good when fit, great on the ball and seems to be a big game player.

The management just completely butchered how this club is run, they left the squad bare, they hired a manager that pisses a lot of people off and didn't replace James, then get rid of one of their best players in Digne and then bring in a below average coach in Lampard when they are essentially in a relegation battle. Just a complete and utter mess, Everton and Colombia are basically falling apart after coaches decided they didn't need James, which although there's more to it then that really is kind of crazy.

ryu79 repped this.
  5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Comes back to help Everton secure a massive 1-0 win vs. Chelsea.

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Still dangerously hovering in relegation places. They have one more game left than Burnley and Leeds but not an easy schedule anyways. They need 8 points in 5 matches vs 6 in 4 for their rivals.

7. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1520793194191011842 is not a valid tweet id

villus and sidspaceman repped this.
  8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #1308 ryu79, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    https://theathletic.com/3272970/202...ess-will-be-key-to-their-chances-of-survival/

Mina is a completely underappreciated, IMHO - especially by Colombian fans/media. His quality is such that his presence is decisive statistically for a mid table side like Everton.

It's the same for Colombia. I'll always bang the drum that Rueda's decision to play Mina 100% of the minutes of the triple fixture this fall was calamitous. If he (and Cuesta, who also picked up muscle injuries after those fixtures) were available to us down the stretch I think we'd of had a much better chance of nicking a result.

I get that these are professional players and they should be able to play lots of minutes but this guy needs his load managed differently and it's clear the impact he has when he is handled right.

colombianballa91, dapip and Furnaccio repped this.
  9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

dapip repped this.
  10. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I mean he got four different Chelsea players booked for yellow cards today. That's crazy.

dapip, sidspaceman and Furnaccio repped this.
  11. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I love Mina, but he’s injury prone AF and some games he was a world beater and then the following week he would look like a goof.

It was interesting how under CQ, we were fun to watch when it came to set pieces especially with Mina on the field. We were really showing signs of a team that was dangerous on multiple fronts. But then injuries happened and the Uruguay/Ecuador games came and went and we just regressed and wound up looking like a Sunday morning pickup team

12. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    His rep as a goof is interesting to me. He definitely does a lot of sh*thousery to get into opponents heads but he is remarkably consistent in performance in the Prem, which I find to be an extraordinarily difficult league for CBs. Just look at what it's done to the psychology of Davinson - Sanchez plays so fidgety now because he's been burned so much.

I think people see Yerry dancing or dropping like a stone like he did today and then associate that with his in play game - when in practice he is as consistent in the air as one could ask for and generally gives so much confidence to his backline (whether at Everton or Colombia).

It's funny - I saw an Ole headline today that was getting retweeted by Colombian fans of today game and how Mina was embarrassed when Haavertz pushed him. Completely missing the point that Mina shut down Haavertz and totally distracted him all game. All the British coverage of the game was that it was a masterclass...

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This. You know Yerry is key for you, you manage his minutes and try to have him ready for key matches. Both Benitez and Rueda failed to manage him correctly and as a result, both Everton and Colombia struggled. Yeah, it was not only about Mina, but he’s the kind of player you want on the field for the critical games.

14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Rueda absolutely gave 0 fs about Yerry or his club fitness in the triple fixture and Benitez never really got a chance to use Yerry again to be fair... He had been in terrific form to start the season

dapip repped this.
  15. colombianballa91

Jul 2, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I see it all the time on social media..in Colombia they act like he is the worst player on the entire seleccion i really don’t get it?

16. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They don't seem to appreciate how unflattering the Prem is to cbs or how well Mina does there...

dapip repped this.
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    EPL really irks a lot of people with the way they overrate some CBs. McGuire is the worst case, but there are a lot of examples of average players getting a lot of press, but also the other way around, some decent CBs that were ostracized (usually without good reasons) and do fine in other latitudes.

18. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    haha wasn’t he one of our top scorers last cycle?

think he has more goals or sams as Quintero or Muriel

19. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    People see his antics and think he's a goof. The guy is a leader wherever he's played, he's a very good player and he gets into players heads constantly. Not a ton of players do that anymore so he's kind of a throwback, but even though he does it he doesn't do it in a dirty way where he's trying to hurt players, but he does everything else lol. Much of the English culture hates that from foreign players, yet they'd applaud someone trying to hurt the opposition as perfectly ok. Yerry straddles the line for sure, but he's so confident with himself and doesn't care how he comes off and is willing to do everything for his team, which is why he's such a good leader. Fans getting caught up in the antics and joking around fall for the same thing that the opposition does, they get distracted from a very good player who's dominant in the air, good with the ball at his feet and an organizer at the back for his teams. Everton and Colombia have been much, much better whenever he plays.

20. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wonder why taller people tend to be more injury prone than shorter people. Idk if this is just my observation, but anyone else has noticed this?

21. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    not sure nba players aren’t injured this often are they

22. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    But basketball doesn't force players to sprint or quickly change direction the way that soccer does. The contact doesn't happen at the same momentum either. Soccer is way more taxing on the body.

23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    There’s a number of factors that go into proclivity to injuries:

1. Nutrition / diet
    2. Alcohol use
    3. Strength training
    4. CArdio training
    5. Amount of sleep
    6. Stretching - pre and post exercise
    7. Luck

Guys like MJ, Kareem, Stockton and Karl Malone hardly missed games throughout their NBA Career while guys like Greg Oden, Baron Davis, Anthony Davis get hurt more frequently.

Soccer is crazy though. No one ever plays a full season.

I still find it amazing how Croatia played 8 games worth of minutes over 7 games in the 2018 World Cup and their players never got worn down.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  24. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Absolute nightmare for Yerry. His full back ran into him from behind leaving an opponent free to score... And then he appeared to re-aggravate his injury and had to leave the field only minutes later.

25. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    yeah, very much James like plaguing injury after injury. This goes back to the Palmeiras days so we're talking years and years now. He's just not someone you can count on for even half a season at top level futbol. It's maddening because he's acclimated in all other ways.