Yellow Cards

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by VLAD, Oct 1, 2003.

1. VLAD

VLAD New Member

Jan 11, 2001
    VIENNA, VA
    vs. the Metrostars we had the following people with yellow cards:

Petke
    Kovalenko
    Ivanov
    Nelsen
    Prideaux

Petke and Kovalenko has official warnings due to accumulations prior to the game. With 4 intense games left and 3 being against division rivals, we could be in trouble due to card accumulation. Also, do the cards carry over to the playoffs?

I think that once we clinch 2nd place, the game against KC will be meaningless.

2. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I like your optimism.

I was wondering about where some of the players were with card accumualtions. As far as I know, card accumulations carry over into the playoffs.

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://mlsnet.com/library/cards.html

Current Suspensions Scheduled:
    Player (team) Sanction
    Kyle Beckerman (COL) 10/01
    Pablo Mastroeni (COL) 10/01
    Dema Kovalenko (DC) 10/04
    Mike Petke (DC) 10/04

Clint Mathis (MET) 10/05
    Richie Williams (MET) 10/05

http://mlsnet.com/about/regulations/

4. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Well, that's good news about cards not carrying over into the playoffs.

First things first, though, I guess... So, both Dema and Petke will be out for next Saturday's game against Columbus? -Yikes.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Please tell me the Columbus game is on shootout and not an exclusive HDNet broadcast.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your wish+, sir

D.C. United at Columbus Crew - 7:30 ET
    CSN
    HDNet
    DirecTV: 794
    Dish Net: 457
    DirecTV (HDnet): 199

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    On the DCU stats page on MLSnet, it says Ivanov has 23 caution points. If this is correct, wouldn't he too have to sit Saturday?

8. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    There has been a fair share of debate on whether that suspension will hold or not..

I believe that Ivanov (while on 21 points) went the requisite 3 matches without a yellow, which in turn he gets one point deducted from his season tally - I think they call it some sort of good behavior amnesty..

We'll find out soon enough if he is suspended or not.. David Stokes, you better get yourself ready just in case.....

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Even if he had one point deducted, wouldn't he still have 22, which would put him over the limit and this force him to sit?

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get 4 points deducted, not 1....

11. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    What is all this points crap? Don't most leagues use something like 5 yellows = 1 match ban, and then you start from 0 again?? I don't get it.

12. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Oh, but you know MLS has to be different :) Actually, I kind of like it, because it (at least in theory) allows the league to employ a little gradation in the number of points it gives for fouls. Things that are truly egregious, not quite worthy of an outright ban but nasty nonetheless can get a high number of points (4), while others that are less ugly can get fewer (3 or 2--I'm not seeing any this year that only got 1).

You can see all the points awarded at the disciplinary page.

13. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I think all of Dema's yellows and all but one of Petke's were for fouls in the fun of play. The only exception I can think of is Petke's for his in-your-face to the linesman in the SJ game, when Ben came right back and scored after SJ had equalized on a questionable off-side call.

Contrast this with Marco's over the years. Has he ever gotten one for anything but bitching at the ref?

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Well, there was that red card at the World Cup ...

15. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    I notice that almost exclusivelyMLS has been awarding two caution points only for delay of game (or interfering with the GK). Persistent infringement and delaying restart get you 3, as does handling the ball. Anything else (reckless tackle, tackle from behind, tactical foul, dissent) gets you 4.

Other leagues do resort to awarding punishment by the number of cards over a given period of time. The English FA discipline procedures are here. Interestingly, they differentiate the number of games' suspension players get for ejections by what offense they were ejected for. And those only start 14 days after the booking (to allow time for appeals, I assume).

Are MLS players ever suspended for more than one game? I know players have been suspended for more than one Open Cup match (vide Marco), but what about league play?

16. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Ante Razov could better answer that question. Check his stats for the first three games of this season.

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    And don't forget Dan Loney's favorite red card, when he took down that little bitch Cienfuegos to open the 2000 season, a.k.a., the End of the Beginning.

Sachin