News: Yellow card or yellow colour on Nature's call

Discussion in 'Referee' started by 2wheels, Jan 2, 2012.

1. 2wheels

2wheels Member

Oct 4, 2005
    In the [AUS] A-League match, Adelaide's striker saved himself some coloured embarrassment by leaving FoP during active play without informing anyone, http://bit.ly/vfxAhJ.

Consequently, on return, referee yellow carded him; unusual booking certainly! Here's wishing none of the forum participants also deal correctly with such absence in the coming seasons, earlier booking of such player notwithstanding.

1 person likes this.
  2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Good caution.

If a player approaches the official and tells him, I cannot imagine the official not cooperating.
    Here, Van Dijk knew he was suffering from a stomach bug.
    He could have mentioned it to the CR pre-game.
    I'm sure the CR would have then understood when Van Dijk quickly left the pitch.

3. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We had this happen at our Provincal Championships last July, except a sub walked off the bench to a nearby bush. It wasn't my match, but the story went around the ref's room pretty fast that's for sure lol. The ref in question cautioned the guy and the assessor loved it.

4. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I did the same thing. Felt like an idiot when the player's route after leaving the field without permission was directly to the port-a-potty. I think it's the only card I've ever given for leaving the field without permission.

5. aevange8

aevange8 Member

Nov 25, 2003
    WNY
    Isn't the purpose of that caution to penalize a player that gains an unfair advantage usually in some regard to an offside situation. Doesn't common sense let you not give that caution unless it has some direct negative influence on the match. Otherwise you are just proving you know the text that is written in the law book, not why it is there in the first place.

6. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is (as Sport Billy stated it) they didn't let the referee know. Takes a minimum of effort - there are 3 of us out there after all and chances are the player has to pass one of us. Without information there's no way to tell why they left the field, and common sense dictates we can't ass-u-me it was for something like a potty break.

If a ref was really trying to put the screws to a player, there would be a caution for leaving and a caution for re-entering the moment they step back on the pitch. I would never endorse this, just throwing gas on the fire. :D

7. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Yes.
    I can't imagine giving this.

8. onfirst

onfirst Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Doesn't common sense allow the ref crew to assess the situation quickly to determine whether the player left the field for purposes of circumventing the rules or otherwise? If a guy sprints into the field house or the forest next to the field, I'm pretty sure he is not trying to fool anyone. Why not just wait till he comes back to the field to determine if a card is needed or not instead of carding him while he is heading into the bathroom?

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I think I'd give it.
    Simple communication is all that was required and he failed to do so.
    At a minimum, I call the player over at the next stoppage and have a chat about respecting the referee and communication.

10. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Potentially explosive situation...:D

But what does he get if he drops his shorts and takes a squat right on the field?

Is he ok if he squats so his heels are on the touch line, but his diarrhea is off the field?

I can see this being on the next grade 8 exam...

11. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Why?
    I don't get it. Because it is in the LotG, I guess, right?
    What about the mechanics of the card. Unless you show it to his back as he runs off--which is against protocol--you wait till he returns, ask him what was that all about, he tells you, then you card him?
    I don't get it.
    What's the point?

12. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't post enough earlier...

I can see giving the card and might, but would want more info first. He's just running off for a potty break? Is this an adult rec beer league or U18 travel?

It depends - no pun intended. :D

13. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the generic question, I can see giving it and I can see not giving it. The context of the match would probably be determinative. If it's a game where you've already given yellow for more "technical" offences, you might feel your hands are a bit more tied. You also might feel tied if there have just been a lot of yellows in general. It really does depend. But--I think unlike some others and the assessor mentioned earlier--I wouldn't want to give it; I don't see this as a "cool" card to give and feel it's much more of the "gotcha" variety. This is a caution that I'd try to find reason not to give. It goes to what I consider the age-old question: could you picture yourself giving it as a second yellow in a critical match? If you can't, then for me it falls into the category of yellow cards to be avoided if possible.

Total aside, but years ago, when I first started my career, I had an odd situation to which this point relates.

U17 (or thereabouts) boys match. Close game (I believe either tied or one-goal difference) in the first half. A particular player was feeling hard-done by... both by my calls and his teammates effort, or lack thereof. He was vocal and frustrated, but hadn't done anything close to dissent worthy of a caution. So, right before halftime, he gets beat at the top of the box and lunges in for a slide tackle. Gets no ball and all man; 100% penalty. And it's definitely reckless, too. I whistle, point the spot and start to produce the yellow card. The player just walks off... literally turns his back as he sees the yellow and walks past the corner flag, to the parking lot, never to return. And it really wasn't dissent at all--he knew he fouled the player and offered no complaints--he was just done with the match. I thought about showing a second yellow card (to no one in particular) and then the red, but decided it would get me nowhere and make the second half disastrous, so I allowed a substitution at the next appropriate stoppage (it was unlimited subs).

Would others show a yellow here, where there are no mitigating physical ailments to fall back upon? And, if so, how would you deliver it? I was happy with the results I had back at the time, but it was also one of those situations where no one was watching and I've always wondered how I'd handle it if I saw it again on a higher-level match.

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Mass, I don't object one moment for how you handled that.
    But what do you advise as to telling the opposing coach when he says "This is a close match and according to the LotG, I should be up a man now."?

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, we're talking about a LONG time ago so I'd take absolutely on offense if you want to be critical--it's just one of those random incidents I always remember and seemed to have relevance here.

As for the coach...

A) I can't imagine any coach knowing that and going there, but...
    B) How about, "he had my permission to leave?"

16. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Works for me.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mean that story as a trap at all, but now you have me wondering...

You're okay with ignoring a player walking off completely without sanction, but you would want the caution for a player who left in what he perceived as a physical emergency? Given the actions, that feels backward, don't you think?

18. timtheref

timtheref Member

Aug 23, 2010
    I had a similar situation to the player walking off due to attitude (not physical emergency) in a varsity boys' high school pre-season game. I had already booked a player for a reckless challenge (no complaints from his own coach, whom incidentally I'd cautioned for dissent while playing GK in a men's over 40 game two weeks prior.) A few minutes later he commits a foul, which I whistle for. He disagrees and walks off the field, swearing about my ability to call fouls. I am prepared to send him when the coach comes flying off the bench, and jumps all over him about his attitude and such. Kid looks at coach and says "shut the f--- up, dad." Coach/dad then says to kid, "get your s--- and go to the car, you're done for the day." Seeing as this was pre-season such, I thought the message was sent to the player, and gave no cards despite the mandate for cards for language in h.s. The other coach, who is also known to be a jerk, said nothing. This was a game to get players time on the field, and nothing more needed done. But this was a more rare case.

As to the OP, I don't know that I'd caution unless there is an assessor watching. Right or wrong, if I pull a caution for this in a Sunday men's ethnic league, it's going to create problems. If I'm being assessed and need to do stuff like this by the letter of the law, then yeah, I'll go to a pocket.

19. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Which is a whole nother discussion...

(BTW, I really didn't want to go here, but since the report cites a 'stomach bug', the color of the would-be accident wasn't yellow, but brown.)

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'm considering that one is a high school kid and one is a professional. Fair or not, I'm holding them to different standards. I admit and accept that.

For the record, it was a physical emergency he was aware of pre-game.
    A simple word to the official solves everything.

In the latter scenario, the player is trying to keep from saying words that will get him in deeper trouble. I respect that.
    He's young. He is not mature enough to handle it. He did what he could.

All I'm trying to point out is that may problems can be avoided if we communicate.

These aren't easy decisions.
    If they were, games would go controversy free and the forum would not exist.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that's quite fair. Good answer.