Yehiyeh calls for an end to suicide bombings

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matrim55, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...20830/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians_6575

The Palestinian security chief - Abdel Razak Yehiyeh - called for an end to the suicide bombings and even went so far as to call them "unnecessary murders of innocent people."

And check this out:

"Children were exploited for these attacks," Yehiyeh said. Several of the bombers were teenagers.

Wow. A faint spark of hope in the sea of absolute effing madness that is Israel. I love this guy. I hope he and Peres can sit down at a table and end all this.

Unfortunately, I have the over/under on his murder at four days.

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I was thinking the same thing as I read through your post.

3. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But will they continue the Homocide bombings?

4. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I think finally the Palestinians have seen what they were doing to themselves - I'm not referring to the occupation, but how they were responding to it. I'd be surprised if the extremely negative publicity from the execution of that "collaborator" on the strength of the torture-induced testimony of her son didn't have something to do with it.

The Palestinians getting their house in order would be an absolute gift to civilization. Of course, if before then they were to send Yasser Arafat an old Sicilian message, that would also be helpful.

5. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    What the hell is a homicide bombing?

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what the Bushies took to calling suicide bombers.

It was widely mocked, which was kind of unfair. It was fair, in that the Bushies all did it once. It was pretty naked spinning.

It was unfair, the mockery, because they really are homicide bombings. These guys aren't like the Buddhist priests in Vietnam who set themselves on fire.

7. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    But isn't any bombing that kills people a homicide bombing? Such a phrase is vague, while suicide bombing is more specific.

8. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But "homicide bombings" is a much heavier term, IMO. The term "Suicide Bombings" can have the air of victimless violence (which, of course, it isn't).

9. Turkoglu

Turkoglu Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Istanbul
    Only if hamas was to listen the palestinian leaders then we wouldnt have any suicide bombers at all.

10. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    Could we somehow talk Eminem into suicide bombing say, an empty parking lot for the sake of freeing all the white trash from the burden of trailer parks? Dunno, just a pipe dream maybe.

11. Dan

Dan New Member

Um... Hello!!! Anybody there??? Hello! He said this to an ISRAELI NEWSPAPER! (the first sentance of the article was the most important part) I mean, I hate to sound unimpressed, but I really don't care if Palestinian leaders tell HEBREW NEWSPAPERS that they oppose suicide bombings. This is a very consistant pattern of saying one thing to the Hebrew/English press and another to the Arabic press that has gone on since the beginning of the intifada. I'm still waiting for him to say this in PALESTINIAN newspapers, IN ARABIC! Let's see him tell this to his OWN PEOPLE, not to the Associated Press.

Maybe the 25 Hebrew speaking Israelis who support suicide bombings will have been swayed by his emotional appeal. Until then, it's just another PR stunt.