Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #126 The Irish Rover, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    My bad. I should have written "will be a regular starter for the MNT."

You can be sure that Klinsman will be starting him in as many games as is feasible in order to boost his WP prospects. Any coach would for a talent like his.

2. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pochettino was talking about Walker and his situation today and he mentioned Yedlin. Simon Peach usually can get direct quotes from him for some reason but this does really make sense.

Testudo and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  3. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday Yedlin likely would have played if he was with Spurs, very likely. Walker being injured changes everything with the team. We had a player playing RB who is a CB. Another CB who just turned up a couple months ago and he was actually our best defender, the problem was he was partnered with Vlad so he was effectively defending two players. Vlad at the moment is 4th choice but if Walker was fit he'd probably be 5th behind Dier. In a match like that the most logical back line would be......

Yedlin----Dier----Fazio----Davies

There's no way they could have known it would be this bad but it's a bit of a shame he couldn't move immediately. He'd probably have at least 3-5 appearances right now and had an opportunity to prove himself. The injury situation likely will be much different when he comes to England.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope DC had a sell-on clause.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn't realize how good he was doing at Anderlecht. I thought he could have been a slight loss when he chose Honduras, but I didn't think it was a huge loss at the time. Now its starting to seem like him choosing Honduras could eventually be similar to Rossi or Subotic.

7. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    well i heard we screwed up our chances of getting subotic

8. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was Najar even a citizen yet?

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, he accepted the Honduras callup before becoming a US citizen I believe.

USOutlaw16 repped this.
  10. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that Najar wasn't a US citizen or even eligible to represent us when he accepted a Honduras call-up, and it was pretty unlikely that he would have waited until he was US-eligible to do so.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ibisevic?

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    $1M upfront + bonuses (the details are unknown) as per Anderlecht's own site during the time of the transfer. MLS "listed" it as a $2M or $3M sale but its sell-on percentage was not revealed.

The $3M may have been attainable if Andy went for $10M or more. We won't know.

As to Yedlin - or anyone else, for that matter - $625K will buy you a Cyprus citizenship. No reason for Spurs to throw this money at the problem yet but, for as long as the loophole exists, $625K and everyone is welcomed.

13. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He would be in his mid 20s before he could play for us at LEAST!

It made sense for him to play dfor Honduras and play in a actual world cup. It hurts my heart because this kid is literally a product of my same enviroment, went to the HS I now own a house in front of.

But it happens, and it made sense for him. He's super talented. I can't wait to see what he does in England. He had a fantastic goal recently from a run made frmo probably outside back. Classic goal like I've seen him do for DCU.

USOutlaw16 repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like you don't follow MLS. Huge talent with huge upside. He's more or less following the career path I projected him for, and I'll bet most MLS fans felt the same way.

15. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things are getting worse at RB.

We might have to call back Fredericks which for Yedlin could make things more difficult. For one it's taking away minutes Yedlin could be getting and he's pretty highly rated and most would say has a bigger upside then Naughton anyway. If he's still around and he impresses that can create a problem when he comes.

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I don't think you can recall players on a season long loan.

18. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah you can if they're in the Championship, that's a PL rule not FA. In the Football League a no-recall rule only applies if there's a clause in the contract and I can't remember Spurs ever inserting that with a player loaned. Spurs have done it many times before, once with Fredericks in fact when he was on loan at Brentford.

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Ah yep. Just looked it up. This language is a bit odd though.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/section6.aspx

53.2.2 Subject to the proviso that the duration of a Standard Loan must be the time between two Transfer Windows, Standard Loans can be for half a Season or a full Season. Any recall clause requiring the early termination of a Standard Loan can only be included in a full Season Standard Loan and this can only be activated during the second (January) Transfer Window. Any other early termination of a Standard Loan must be by way of a mutual agreement in writing (including by way of a recall clause within the Standard Loan Agreement) between both Clubs and the Player but can only be completed after the expiry of 28 days and only during a Transfer Window (but subject to Regulation 53.2.3 below
    Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/section6.aspx#1FkJhbgaMuqWmVTV.99

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun fact...when Deandre was born, Andy Najar had not yet turned 3 months old.

They're essentially the same age. And Najar was the best right back in MLS in 2012, and one of the very best players in the whole league.

Just sayin'.

21. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Spurs fan, I also don't see it happening. Plus the Daily Star is a bunch of crap anyway.

22. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but...... I can't see it happening. As it's been mentioned the Star is a crap paper.

Najar is a good prospect but he's not ready compete for a starting spot at Tottenham, if that's the case then I don't really see the point. We don't need more depth, if we're bringing in a player he needs to be better than what we have already otherwise I don't see how we justify the cost or space in the team, even at £4m. We have players like Ceballos we can put on the bench and he's the same age (and I think has more potential).

I mean he did train with Spurs a few years ago, maybe that's where the stories are coming from but pretty much everyone other than Levy is gone from when he was training........ maybe Broomfield who may have scouted him and made the recommendation.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I followed him in MLS. He was a huge talent. Once he went to Anderlecht, all the hype around him seemed to quiet down. It seemed like it has been turned back up recently.

24. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he really hasn't seen any steady time at Andrelecht until recently. But now that he is getting a lot of minutes his quality is starting to show and with that comes the hype.

INKRO and ussoccer97531 repped this.