Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Yedlin's career path since the WC has not been what I expected to say the least. He seems like he's stagnated or gone backwards. Probably time for a move, no?

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    indeed. he probably would have been doing better in another league?

madvillain and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or with a different coach. I have seen nothing from Manquillo that says he is the better player... and certainly should not be playing on the left side. A 6.7 for that last game? How? I thought the RB played better and he wasn't all that great outside of the cross/assist. At any rate, I think Yedlin is done at NCFC and needs to find a new home. I think he was treated pretty poorly by one of the FA Cup announcers the game before his disaster... the guy was just bagging on him the entire broadcast. Then Yedlin **** the bed in the next match and hasn't really seen the pitch since. I will grant you.... it was a very poor performance. But I think Yedlin kind of got the shaft by the coach.

LouisianaViking07/09 and madvillain repped this.
  4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Bruce just doesn't fancy him and hasn't from the start. If the takeover is vetoed, Bruce will stay because Ashley is too cheap to sack him or to make the funds any decent coach will ask for so Yedlin should look for alternative berths. If the deal goes through it's more complicated, because the new coach may play a game that doesn't really suit Yedlin but may value his attitude and professionalism - or vice versa.

We should find out about the takeover soon enough, because we're into the fifth week of what's usually a 10-day process: the uncertainty is in nobody's interests.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Back in the XI at City, match started 20 minutes ago:

Krafth moved to the right side of a back 3, Lazaro at right mid, Manquillo on the bench.

2-0 to City after 21 minutes.

6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really rough start for Yedlin. 3 considerable defensive mistakes against mighty Man City, two on goals against.

- on the most recent one, Yedlin gets caught too high, on the wrong side of the attacker. Score develops behind him.

- previous one slow anticipation out to the winger who picks up the hockey assist.

- also misjudged a ball in the air as the last man which allowed Man City in on goal.

Jazzy Altidore and madvillain repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...er-will-meet-monday-with-premier-league-club/

United States men's national team defender DeAndre Yedlin and his representatives are set to speak with Newcastle United to discuss his future, as a departure from the club likely in the cards, sources tell CBS Sports. The former Seattle Sounders man is set to start Wednesday's match against Manchester City as his time in Tyneside winds down.

Yedlin, along with representatives from both sides, will conduct a formal meeting on Monday to map out a plan for what's next, with teams throughout Europe showing interest in the 26-year-old right back.

Yedlin's contract is set to expire in the summer of 2021 and he has yet to receive an extension offer from Newcastle. The club just signed right back Javier Manquillo to a contract extension in June and have Emil Krafth under contract through 2023, though the Swedish international is expected to give central defender a go against City, sources say.

Yedlin has dealt with injury issues as of late and missed out on the 2019 Gold Cup for the United States. He has played in 15 matches for Newcastle this season and scored just once in the Premier League. He's been at the club since 2016 and helped them earn promotion to the Premier League for the 2017-18 season.

Clubs throughout Europe have shown interest in Yedlin, including in Germany. Sources say it's about a 90 percent chance that Yedlin leaves Newcastle as he no longer appears to be in the plans of manager Steve Bruce. Yedlin is focused on remaining in one of the top five leagues in Europe though Spain and Italy are more complicated due to work permit rules and passport issues.

The club is on the verge of being purchased by a Saudi Arabia-backed group that appears set to invest heavily in the squad, which serves as just further proof as to how Yedlin doesn't factor into the plans long term. The ownership change from Mike Ashley to that of businesswoman Amanda Stavely and the Saudi Arabian backing is reportedly worth $391 million, but has not yet been finalized.

It's unclear what type of transfer fee Newcastle could get in this market, but the club did pay £5 million ($6.3 million) for him from Tottenham. There is the possibility of a swap deal due to the financial climate amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Newcastle is historically one of the usual top-flight Premier League clubs, last winning the second division title in 1992-93. Newcastle has been relegated twice in the last 11 seasons. The team finished 10th in the Premier League in 2017-18 and 13th in 2018-19. This season, the club is in 12th place and 16 points clear of relegation.

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't believe that he's still only 26.

Edit: turns 27 tomorrow though.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looks less than inspired in this game. I like where he's playing right now though, more as a right winger.

Can we talk about Bentaleb? That guy is awwwwful. He has misplaced just about all of the passes I've seen him try from the 57th minute on.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. Clapham omnibus

Clapham omnibus New Member

Jun 19, 2020
    Tough game to watch. Newcastle looks completely disinterested.

ttrevett repped this.
  11. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    In Spain, I don't think it would be a "work permit" or "passport" issue. The issue would be whether a team would want to have Yedlin take up one of the five non-EU player spots.

LouisianaViking07/09 and jnielsen repped this.
  12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to add, David Silva is just pure class. I have no idea other than his age why Citeh would be not inclined to keep him around. Class class class.

13. Clapham omnibus

Clapham omnibus New Member

Jun 19, 2020
    That echoing sound in the stadium is Newcastle being beaten like a drum.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #7164 Suyuntuy, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Probably he started because they knew this was a loss anyway.

PS: What Sean Dyche is achieving with his ragtag bunch of misfits is going to become a TV movie some day.

15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final poor pass from Bentaleb is intercepted by Silva to allow him to walk in and set up the 5th.

By the way, a hospital ball from Sterling there almost cripples poor KDB, and no apology or signs of concern offered by Sterling there, interestingly. Seems an weird insight into the two players and their relationship, or seemingly lack thereof. Not to start conspiracy theories, but that pass from Sterling seemed to be almost purposefully short.:whistling:

Clapham omnibus repped this.
  16. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I wish they had switched over to the only game that mattered SHU and Wolves.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think DeAndre should test the waters on the continent somewhere. He's got some talent, and still has plenty of pace to burn. The other option is just cashing in and hoping for a DP contract from Seattle and getting to live closer to his family again.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #7168 ArsenalMetro, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Doesn't he have a Latvian passport?

@bshredder

19. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    If that's the case, then that line in the story makes even less sense.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The problem in Spain is that they require their fullbacks to have good ball control, to dribble, and to hide a ball. Plus, of course, being there to stop crosses.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    doesn't he have a passport due to his mom being of Latvian ancestry?

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I was for a long time a Yedlin defender unlike Yedline himself.

He has the ability to make authoritative plays in key moments. Now he's a haircut and diminished speed. I'll take a pass until he starts to play like a footballer again. I'd cut his ass from my squad.

23. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Transfermarkt does list that on there. And thus the original article makes even less sense.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he's not chopped liver. a new league is a proper challenge for him and i feel he can adapt to some degree though his PL wages probably make it difficult

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't always trust Transfermarkt as it is user-generated content.

If you go back in this thread to very late 2014, you see two things happen back-to-back:

1) The Mirror reports that he has his Latvian passport in hand
    2) Shortly thereafter, he gets approval via the WP appeals process.

So, The Mirror report was at least partly wrong as he wouldn't have needed to go through the appeals process if he already had the Latvian passport.

I don't think I have ever seen Yedlin confirm he has that passport. Everything has been based on The Mirror report or similar speculation. He wouldn't be the first player to stop pursuing a passport when his WP was approved (Tim Howard probably never got his Hungarian passport because he was approved for a WP). And because it's about dealing with a bureaucracy, there have been plenty of times when the works get gummed up for one reason or another.

When it comes to matters of citizenship, it's best to wait until someone shows you the passport.