Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #7051 The Irish Rover, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    If true, he'll be heading for European competition sides. Any other BL sides couldn't afford his salary

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Um... the Bundesliga is neither in Italy nor Spain you know, young fella.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Because I like to sprinkle my amateur biomedical analysis with some tangental footie news...

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The post-COVID market is going to present MLS with a great chance to get many 32+ former big names for a reasonable price. Good point.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Pandemic makes it more likely that Yedlin stays. He's an average Premier League right back with elite pace, and average skill. With how much attacking and midfield work they'll need to upgrade, that's probably good enough in year 1 for Newcastle.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m known as a Yedlin booster and the only change I’d make is that his skill is below average offset by truly elite speed.

there’s a couple of posters here including a national soccer writer who will invariably come in to say you’re stupid to write that he’s a middle quartile EPL back (even if it’s true)

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    There's def this but I'd sure like to see him in a new league

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please define middle quartile in numerical terms. ;)

11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    the two middle ones!

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's the quart you drink after that first one but before the last one (and then pass out on the tile floor.)

Winoman repped this.
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I think that's the muddle quartile.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elite pass and way below average skill.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Only on Derby day...

Winoman repped this.
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elite speed and way below average skill.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    My guess is that Yedlin smells he's out, he's been telling the new owners to keep with the plan and not to just go on a hiring spree because they got money, what you'd expect a player to say when he feels he's likely to get his ticket.

https://tbrfootball.com/deandre-yedlin-discusses-newcastle-takeover/

"Obviously the more money you have, the better players you can buy,” Yedlin said. “Ultimately, in most circumstances, the better you’ll be. But to be a good team, you have to have players that have bought into what you’re doing. Just because you’re buying an expensive player, doesn’t mean he will be good for that team. In this day and age, you do need money to compete. We’ll see what happens from the takeover, I know just as much as everyone else.”

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We'll get a clear(ish) signal when Manquillo either extends or leaves. Newcastle have four RBs - Andre, Krafth, Manquillo and Sperry - and at least one of their 5 CBs can fill in there, so they could cut two of them. Sperry (24) is a League 2 scrub youth product who is out of contract in June, along with Manquillo. If they extend Manquillo, 3 RBs may be a signal to Andre to look around.

The clearer signal will be who the coach will be. Bruce is a goodish Championship who clearly rates him less than Manquillo but higher than Krafth. If he stays Andre should look to move on because he'll very probably be a) on the bench in b) a serious relegation struggle. If Rafa comes back, he's got a decent chance of reclaiming a staring spot from Manquillo. If it's Pochettino or someone similar, it all depends on how he realistically rates himself against Manquillo or Krafth.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund has enough money to buy the Top 3 players in the world for each position, if we're being honest here.

21. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Financial Fair play?

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Will throw sand in the gears and slow the process down. Won't change the trajectory.

If they have the $$$ and are willing to spend them, that's where they'll end up. I say "if" because, with Corona doing its thing, demand for oil is in freefall and the price is at record lows. That will recover, obviously, but if we're not travelling as much as we did before and economies reamin mired in recession, prices per barrel will be a good bit below where they were in January.

They'll still have money to spend and the club's commercial revenue streams are not believed to have been properly exploited by Ashley, but 3 world-class players per position may never happen. even over the next 6-8 seasons.

More like 2 per position :D

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Just cuz I feel like DY is getting ignored...

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    hopefully Yedlin is ready to play balls out to show he doesn't need to be replaced right away.