Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is done and dusted at Newcastle.... 3rd in line at RB/Wing-back. His pathetic effort against Oxford sealed it for him. He has fallen far quite quickly. RB is the deepest position on the USMNT... Perhaps he gets the call during the next Intl Break because it is actually in Europe but I think his days with the USMNT are numbered as well. He just never got any better at crossing the ball and blocking crosses on the other end.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lou... that you?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He was never that good to begin with, more of a Championship player. Sort of like the fullback version of Ream.

LouisianaViking07/09 and striker repped this.
  4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was certainly a time when the buzz about him was huge. His pace was something to behold and he showed a ton of promise... just never got better and then the injuries took their toll to the point where he was becoming a liability in some matches. Overall, aside from the last Oxford game, I don't think he has been as poor as some make him out to be... but I no longer think he is even our 3rd best option at the RB position.

5. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about that. He's only 26!! He's going to get a move somewhere in Europe. My guess is a bottom half premier league team comes in to buy him or a team that gets promoted. At the end of the day, he's still playing in the most difficult league. I have to imagine he's going to get called for qualifiers

6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. He may have largely peaked, but he still is young enough to get a slight bump from further experience. He's a proven commodity in the EPL, and surely there are several teams that will value that. He's not a world-beater, but they know exactly what they're getting.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be quite honest, Yedlin has never, ever wow'd me. I think he's serviceable and that's about it. He's too inconsistent for my liking and trust. I don't think he's a bad player - not at all - he's just never been a "first player on the team sheet guy". There are just better players in our pool.

8. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Can you name such teams that would regard Yedlin as an obvious upgrade for a starting right back position? I cannot, but I do not following all EPL teams carefully. Newcastle have tried to upgrade in that position since Yedlin joined them, with mixed success.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I read that post as "he's a proven commodity in the EPL, and several teams [throughout Europe] will value that."

I don't know who Yedlin is a nailed-on upgrade for in the Premier League, but he would be a great acquisition for a bigger team in a smaller league (think Ligue 1 or below).

LouisianaViking07/09 and striker repped this.
  10. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I can't. I'm only saying the obvious--that proven commodities (who are still only 26 years old) have added value over players unproven in a given league. In particular, I'd think that newly promoted or bottom-table teams trying to stay up value proven commodities. Further, with Brexit looming, he'll still be eligible for a work permit in the future since he's already living in the UK. I guess, in that regard, clubs still have one more transfer window to bring in foreign players and have them grandfathered in, so maybe that doesn't really help his case. And maybe I'm misunderstanding how English soccer will change post-Brexit (perhaps it won't change at all, given that all the players in the top levels of the pyramid make over, what was it?, 35k pounds per year). Nonetheless, he's proven that he's a decent EPL footballer, which carries weight.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lou... that you?

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i'd like as well

freisland repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm shook.

14. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    He'll be able to apply for settled status in the UK, having lived in the country for 5 years if he's got an EU passport (his club will probably have done this on his behalf). So he won't require a work permit.

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, so it's only people with European passports that get to apply for settled status? I thought it was anyone who legally resided in the UK by the cutoff date could apply for settled status.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Seems as if Bruce is persisting with his back-4 experiment, so Yedlin'll be seeing a good deal of the bench until June.

Let's hope he gets a move soon. The Toon will stay up/stagger over the line this season, but I wouldn't fancy being there next season.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Depends on what happens with Bruce. Rafa built up a good relationship with Amanda Stavely, the financier who put this and the previous bid together, and the fact is that, yes, Bruce has done well in difficult circumstances but Rafa has been a success nearly everywhere and is internationally respected, while Bruce's CV has "Championship promotion-chasers" written all over it. On top of which, with rebuilding fan engagement a top priority, the respect the fans have for Rafa and the fraught relationship he "enjoyed" with Ashley would make bringing him back a major "Under New Management" statement.

If that happens, Rafa might keep Andre on for another season or two. Newcastle's defence was OK in Rafa's book but the midfield and, especially, the attack were a constant concern for him. Andre isn't world-class, but he's been reliable and very consistent for Rafa. RB won't be the first area of strengthening when the window opens.

19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just that but with FFP they have to limit the speed of their rebuild. They will likely spend big in attack first. Then midfield. Defense will be last.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Barring replacement signings because of injuries to key players (e.g. Shelvey) or unwanted departures (e.g. the Longstaff brothers), they'll try to spend in that order. A toothless attack has been a serious problem for several seasons and expecting Almiron, whose game is not really suited to the EPL, to step up so many levels immediately and gel with another EPL newbie in Joelinton at the same time was asking for trouble.

If they do spend in defence, it'll be at CB first. Clubs looking to step up to challenge for European places spend there, as that level demands quick transitions, accurate passing, tactical flexibility, goal threat at set pieces, etc from the heart of the defence. A collection of no-nonsense, solid-and-reliable CBs selected from from the Championship Top 6/EPL Bottom 6/BL1 mid-table 3rd choices can't provide that, no matter how well-drilled. Newcastle have five CBs, none of whose contracts are up before next summer, but only maybe Lascalles could be sure of keeping his place if the likes of Matip, Lovren or Vertonghen were to join.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Winoman repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    or this

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good answer

Winoman repped this.
  24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Geordie accent yet I see.... he's got some way to go to becoming the next Friedel...

Winoman and freisland repped this.