"Yeah, I meant to do that" - The Dempsey at Fulham thread. III [Rs]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Real Corona, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't really say that. All we know is Dempsey was first choice on the left from partway through 08-09 until his injury in January. Davies played some off the bench in September/November and then became the starter while Dempsey was out. When Dempsey came back he was Zamora's backup. I remember an away game against Everton where he got to play in midfield with the 2nd team and played very well.

2. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    A la Ives: "Babel to join Tottenham

Ryan Babel looks set to join Tottenham from Liverpool on a £10 million move. Babel had been linked with both Tottenham and West Ham United, but the former has made a last-day bid for the Dutch international worthy of accepting."

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This deal supposedly didn't happen. But we won't know anything for sure for an hour or so.

4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    That dude is so completely overrated. He is the Eddie Johnson of Holland, but of course their EJ is worth 50x more than our EJ. He has speed, no general feel for the ball, can sometimes make wildly unexpected shots, but overall, nothing special.

Of course, EJ has gotten much better since I last saw him.

5. cklab

cklab Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Dallas
    tell that to wes brown:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWsXTTgO9Ec"]YouTube- ryan babel vs brown[/ame]

he's a good player when his head's on straight. which is rarely.

6. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I can say that. None of us can really know what would have happened if all of Fulham's players were healthy (and add in the addition of Duff) at the beginning of the 09-10 season. My overarching point is simply that all of the posters on here who seem to be convinced that things would be different right now for Clint if Hodgson was still in charge at Fulham might very well be wrong.

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I dont like to hate on players, but some guys get a reputation for no reason and that bothers me.

Benitez wouldnt play him. His dutch coach wouldnt play him and Hodgs wont play him.

And what you said above is basically the same thing everyone says about EJ.

8. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your statement is that "it's just as likely a healthy Davies would be starting on the left as it would be for Dempsey to be starting on the left, but we really do not know."

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Ives really anything more than a stenographer? I can't remember the last time he's actually done anything that could be characterized as reporting.

10. iammrben

iammrben Member

Jul 27, 2007
    DC (Petworth)
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ives has been pretty worthless since he tried to expand his beat reporting into his own version of soccernet. Not that soccernet is really all that tremendous either.

11. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to BBC, Babel tweeted that he was staying with LFC.

12. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is by far the second or third best player at Fulham how can one of the teams center pieces be on the bench?????

I really hope this is Clints last season he has out grown this mid table team. I know he will tear it up but I would love to have seen him go to Napoli or Milan...

13. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Hangeland, Schwarzer, Murphy, Zamora, .........

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Babel is just another example of a player who got ruined by joining a big club too early.

15. jogobonito

jogobonito Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Zamora and Murphy are not better than Clint, sorry. Maybe at one time, before the injuries, Danny was top class.... but now he's near the end of his career....All the vision & technique in the world can't compensate for his lack of pace & power.

Bobby's a late-blooming holding fwd, basically an improved version of Heskey. Solid veteran pro but that's it.

Clint's approaching his prime, got nose for goal and a flair for the dramatic, plus he's hungry like a wolf. only thing holding him back from being the undisputed Fulham MVP is his tweener positional status

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Unless your name is Lucas Podolski, I'm pretty sure most players are "hungry like a wolf"...Also, it seems to be Zamora has got a pretty good nose for goal as well. Isn't he being considered for England? Not to shabby. As far as flair for the dramatic? What's that mean in the context of one player being better than the other?

17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    oh no zie Germans have arrived.

Just think if they had some unpredictability I dont know, against the Spanish, maybe they could actually have broken the midfield.

18. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, how exactly does an attack on the predictability of the German World Cup team have anything to do with a reasonable response to Cris' comments?

Do you just disagree b/c he doesn't support the "hungry like a wolf" method of arguing Clint's superiority over every other Fulham field player?

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Probably right. We missed Mueller a whole lot. I would have gone with Marco Marin over the very lame Troch. I guess they just weren't hungry like wolves. :rolleyes:

Probably right as well. ;)

My point is...these attributes like "Hungry like a wolf", "super-duper fit freak", and "never say die"...could probably go with most professional players, couldn't they? I'm sure most of Fulham is hungry for success, not just Dempsey...and the whole; flair for the dramatic? Not sure what that is about.

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Ah, no this is a much larger indictment of the entire German culture for disregarding the important of unpredictability and capturing the drama of a moment with something that was not thought of before.

Did he go to LP or not?

21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What?

Are you smoking pot again before posting? I thought we talked about this...

22. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the implication with LP was that he was NOT "hungry like a wolf". I took it as a criticism of LP. Did you see it differently? I can be wrong from time to time just to keep things interesting. ;)

My point was that Cris was continuing the discussion related to Clint by criticizing the points jogobonito made in support of Clint and that you went off on some German tangent that didn't really have anything to do with Clint.

I'm a big time Dempsey fan, especially because he plays for my chosen team. But I disagree with the notion that he's "by far in the top 2-3 players in the team".

1) It's a silly argument to try and support b/c its mostly subjective.
    2) It detracts from the contributions of others in the squad.
    3) It doesn't matter at all.

Clint's gotten more than a fair amount of time in the first 3 fixtures after not playing much, if any, of the preseason matches. To me, he appears to be a part of Hughes plans, just possibly not part of the starting 11......something we still do not know yet.

Point is, Hughes is the one to decide and the responsibility lies with Clint to prove that he works well within Hughes style of play. It's no longer Roy's team. So, there's really no point in trying to value Clint based upon his use under Hodgson's regime. It is what it is and CD just has to find a way. He will. It's something I don't doubt about him.

1 person likes this.
  23. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, we get it. We know you think we overrate every American player. Guess what? This is a freaking Yanks Abroad forum! We are going to slant our opinions towards Yanks! Why don't you find someplace else to troll unless you have something of value to add to the discussion?

24. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Troll? I thought he was a mentally challenged penguin. ;)

25. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't think Cris 09 is a troll in that his purpose is to get a response but he is quick to put down yank players and praise of players. It is YA forum and you are going to get a bit of over the top love of yanks. I mean if it was a Dortmund, Chelsea or Barca YA thread then I would get it but I'm not sure why Cris 09 is here to be honest. And maybe there is a perfectly good reason and I will stand corrected if so...but I have better things to do than to go on those teams threads where I have no vested interest. It's odd.