Yates Report Highlights Abuse in NWSL

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BostonRed, Oct 3, 2022.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Soccer investigation into women's game finds systemic abuse, misconduct

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...to-womens-game-finds-systemic-abusemisconduct

The independent investigation into player abuse in women's professional soccer found a long list of failures by National Women's Soccer League coaches and executives, as well as the United States Soccer Federation itself.

"Our investigation has revealed a league in which abuse and misconduct -- verbal and emotional abuse and sexual misconduct -- had become systemic, spanning multiple teams, coaches, and victims," the report read. "Abuse in the NWSL is rooted in a deeper culture in women's soccer, beginning in youth leagues, that normalizes verbally abusive coaching and blurs boundaries between coaches and players."

https://egydaynews.com/us-soccer-president-cindy-parlow-cone-calls-yates-report-findings-first-step/

Smallchief and lil_one repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still reading the report, but if any one though this report would reveal little new after everything we learned last year, you were wrong.

4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    soccernutter repped this.
  5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've skimmed through the report and it is indeed shocking.

I'm pretty cynical about coaches and everybody else in positions of leadership. "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." A coach has something approaching absolute power over the average player's fate. He can play them or not as he wishes. And many players (and their parents) are willing to put up with abusive coaches for the sake of getting ahead in their chosen sports. Look at Olympic gymnasts, for example.

Adding to the power factor is the sex factor. The sexual attraction of old, ugly male coaches for young attractive women added to the predominance of power possessed by the coach can cause problems. (Is the same true of women coaches? I don't know.)

But, again in my cynical view of human nature, sex, power, and money are three big motivators of human behavior.

That being said, a coach is going to bruise tender egos with his comments about a player's performance and his decisions about who plays and doesn't play. There's a fine line between constructive criticism and emotional abuse. I would tend to give the coach the benefit of the doubt in border-line cases -- but prohibit off-field, non-business related contact between coaches and players. No fraternization.

ytrs, Ethan Frank and BostonRed repped this.
  6. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    The fans have been aware of this, but it's now national news and a very bad look for the NWSL. Curious to see if the playoffs see a down tick in ticket sales and viewers. NWSL has a major mess to try and clean up by next season.

7. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read through Sally Yates’s investigation and Gavin Wilkinson need to go

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's an awful look for what things were like recently, yes. But considering that the coaching scandals of NWSL were already national news last year, and that almost everyone involved has already been removed, I actually don't think this will affect attendance or viewership among the general populace, casual fans, or dedicated fans. Dedicated fans already knew, and they've already voted with their feet in places like POR and NC whose attendances have been down all year. Casual fans and the general populace will largely see the news and either see that changes have already been made, or it'll come off as the second wave of an old story, and the second wave is almost never as impactful as the first.

ytrs repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I haven't read the report itself yet, but one thing I have noticed that seems to be absent from all of the journalism coverage of the report (Athletic, EQZ, AllForXI, etc.) is a lack of any mention of LaHue. Possible that's because her dismissal was based on something much less egregious than that of all the male coaches? And yes, I know she wasn't a coach, but was still in a position of power within her club. So IDK what went on there, but in an industry with a much higher percentage of LGBTQ+ individuals, it's certainly worth generally including all genders in discussion of who might be taking advantage of players (or other staffers).

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sitruc and soccernutter repped this.
  11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's mentioned, but briefly (on page 47) along with some of the others like Burke and Benstiti. However, the investigation and subsequent report focused most of its efforts on the allegations around Riley, Dames, and Holly.

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland's attendance might continue to drop. Out of all of the teams, I think the Portland Thorns' leadership come out looking the worst from this report (close second goes to Chicago), and the supporters' groups are clearly demanding Wilkinson and Golub be fired and Paulson to sell the team:

sitruc and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's struck me how three of the four big-problem FOs (POR, LOU, NC, not CHI) as well as two past problem FOs (UTA, FCKC) all leveraged off of associated men's teams. Not sure if/how that plays into the "good ol' boy's club" culture, especially since we haven't seen (too) much from HOU+ORL, and we had problems with the independent CHI+DC too...

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you read the report? It's much worse than even fans knew.

15. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 BostonRed, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the Yates report is about the NWSL, but it is bigger than that and there is a thread on the US Women forum,
    USSF Yates investigation into abuse in woso. I suggest posters use that thread -- but, of course, post where you want.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    lil_one repped this.
  21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may not be sufficient change for the supporters' groups (I've not seen a statement, but that feeling is just based on what the Rose City Riveters are retweeting).

Something that jumped out at me from Paulson's statement is the mention of the release of the NWSL/NWSLPA investigation report in November. I think that's the first time we've heard of when the report will be released?

sitruc and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh yeah, it's very very much not sufficient; I emphasized the temporarily part on purpose. They're acting like they're trying to go away without actually firing people or selling the team like they should.

russ repped this.
  23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure about that. I think it more likely is, we are going to wait until it all is out there, including the NWSL-NWSLPA report, and then we will decide and say what we are going to do.

The Thorns situation is complicated by the fact that the Thorns and Timbers share many aspects of business operations as well as Providence Park. If Paulson were to divest the Thorns, and I mean really divest, it is going to be complicated figuring out how that will work and not be disadvantageous to the Thorns. It may be the way to go, but if so it is not going to be easy.

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 lil_one, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Lisa Baird appeared on E:60 defending herself, saying she had properly handled allegations presented to her (Baird was the one who in the report kept telling Shim that the 2015 investigation was closed). She also says that she not heard about the allegations of sexual abuse until the Athletic article was published (To be fair, this might be true to an extent that Baird never followed up on or further investigated any of the allegations that she did hear about). The Yates report has the receipts of e-mails (also published in the Athletic article) from Shim and Farrelly to Baird in the spring of 2021 as well as a statement from Paulson that he informed her about the 2015 Thorns investigation into Riley when she came on in 2020. Baird herself was not available for an interview with the Yates' team of investigators.

Seems like someone in Baird's life should have advised her not to do this interview.

ytrs, SiberianThunderT and toad455 repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now available to stream on ESPN+: