Yanks you would like to see in MFL

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Bruce S, Jul 2, 2005.

1. KingLouie

KingLouie New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Club:
    Club América
    Not a Yank per say but plays in MLS. Dwayne De Rosario. He has low mileage for a 27yr old and i'd picture him having success with a team like Toluca. He is just a baller.

2. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Bruce! You should know better than to try and post a mature and intelligent question like that in this forum. Or any forum for that matter. No disrespect but come on, Mexico and the USA is a huge rivalry and there's alot of bad blood. You're never going to get more than three or four honest replies out of this. The rest is obviously just a bunch of "we're better at Futbol and you suck" crap.

Out of 4 pages you got a few relatively decent and interesting replies. Half of which aren't from MFL fans.

IMO, Donovan wouldn't do well anywhere outside the US as he's already admitted. As respectable as the MFL is, EJ is just too damn good for anyone in the Americas, he'll be in Europe soon. From what I know it's not just talent the MFL is looking for but also has to be someone that speaks spanish fluently or atleast is of some sort of latin heritage. Memo Gonzales would do well in the MFL. Also someone like Armas, Pope, Mastroeni and maybe even Dempsey or Noonan.

The only Yank keeper that would succeed over there in my eyes is Kevin Hartman. "El Gato" is currently MLS's most recognized and accomplished keeper. Although he's still in MLS he's definitly one of the best.

3. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hahaha

4. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No freaking way, Armas. That guy is so 2001!

5. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Rivalry on bigsoccer boards, perhaps.

6. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    No way dude, if American players were to play in the MFL they would get canned, even by their own teammates. Bad blood between Mexicans and Americans does really exist and not just here on Bigsoccer.

7. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's not a rivalry, though.

8. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    To some it is and that doesn't change the fact that there is some bad blood.

9. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sure, no one is arguing that, but I'm on the "it's not a rivalry" side.

10. GrassRockets

GrassRockets New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    USA
    Which National team is Mexico's rival?

11. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico doesn't have a direct rival.

12. GrassRockets

GrassRockets New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    USA
    That's boring.

13. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    75% of the soccer world it's boring then

14. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Why do you say that?

15. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    not every team has a "direct rival" u know...

16. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah but why do you say 75%of the soccer world is boring because of that?

17. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    i was just replying to GrassRockets who said that it was boring that Mexico didn't have a direct rival

18. GrassRockets

GrassRockets New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    USA
    Not all Mexicans agree with you, but that is your opinion.

19. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Playing in the Mexican league also means being able to take the pressure, the fans hating you for being from EEUU, constant insults from other players, maybe even your own teammates not always standing up for you.

There's only one player who I think has the physical tools, the ball skills, the ability to play in heat (from Texas), the physical toughness (not afraid to dish it out or take it), and most importantly the mental toughness to handle all that and actually be a star in that league: Clint Dempsey

He would be perfect on a team like America because they respect foreigners more, and because guys like Villa and Davino are getting old. And his game isn't based on run-and-hustle, so it's more adaptable to the altitude and heat of Mexico.

In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that Mexican clubs would be foolish NOT to take a good long look at Dempsey, considering that he plays right next door and that he's a better value for money than some of these overpriced guys they bring in from South America (Romagnioli, etc.)

20. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Theres a difference between what Mexicans in the US think and what Mexicans in Mexico think about the subject.

21. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wouldn't happen at all.
    This would only happen to a Cobi Jones and maybe a Landon Donovan. Thats it.

22. raay420

raay420 New Member

Jul 12, 2005

I agree. i also think that the mexican team would fall in "love" with donovan he would be 1 of us because isnt he like half mexican? anyways it would make united states and mexico tougher competitors and it would raise the bar for all central american teams.

23. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nope he's like canadian or russian. Maybe a hebrew.

24. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    You may have to swallow your pride on this, but for the last 4-5 years at least the Mexican NT definitely DOES have about as direct a rival as you can find in our hemisphere, and one of the biggest of that type in the world. Not at the level of ARG-BRA, but then again what is? You can't name 10 more "direct" rivalries (not my term--I would use "big" or "intense") in the world today than US-MEX. It's for who dominates a confederation and a continent, between 2 teams that are at or very near the top 10 in the world for several years. Sorry if you don't like that, but it's obvious--it has also led El Tri to raise their game a little bit in recent times (except against a scrub team called "Bafana Bafana," apparently :) )-- so I don't know why that would be a problem to go to your local 10-step group and admit Mexico does have a big, huge rival at the moment (please don't say Brasil comes close--they already have a main rival, and it will never be Mexico despite your clashes in recent years).

25. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see these guys play for Cruz Azul:

Eddie Johnson - his speed along with Fonseca and Delgado would be life threatening.

Carlos Bocanegra- as a centerback. The guy is solid and would be the best defender on the team, he is also a threat in the air in both halves.

Brad Friedel - in goal...would be the best keeper in MFL upon arrival.

Guys I would like to see play for the MetroStars:

Rafa Marquez- we really need a nasty d-mid with versitilty (play defender as well)

Morrales - love his style, we really need a quality left foooted midfielder.