Yanks visitng Chelsea

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Klee, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Hello. My wife and I will be staying in Chelsea in a few weeks and I’ve started looking into the chances of seeing a good football match. I’ve quickly become discouraged about the EPL because of the difficulty of obtaining tickets, and I wonder what 1st division or 2nd division clubs might provide a good “English Football Experience.” As I looked at websites for several of them (Fulham, Crystal Palace) I became baffled, unable to understand the information that makes perfect sense, I’m sure, to you.

From 9-18 to 9-25, we’ll be free almost every evening and it looks as though we might be able to get free both days on the weekend, 9-21, 22. What do you think is my best strategy? Just wait till I get over there and start asking around among the football fans on the staff at the hotel? Or something better than that? I’ve posted here on your forum simply because we’ll be right there in Chelsea, prepared to become Blues fans, even though you haven’t a home match during that time.

I should say that in the US, we enjoy college games just as much as professional, so that could be an option to explore. Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    you might try

the Fulham ticket office first. Chelsea play local rivals Fulham (at Fulham) on Saturday the 21st. There probably won't be any tickets left as its a local derby but it doesn't hurt to try. Fulham's stadium is just a mile down the road from Chelsea's but they are redeveloping it this season so it is closed. Instead, they are playing their home matches this season at another club's stadium (QPR) a bit further west in Shepherd's Bush, just north of Hammersmith. I think the closest tube is either Shepherd's Bush or White City. If you go, be prepared for some verbal abuse from both sides, but it would be much wiser to be a Chelsea fan for the day :) Maybe someone else here has more info but that's all the options I know of. 2 other Premiership clubs have home matches that weekend: Arsenal and West Ham, both are on opposite sides of the city though and are probably sold out as well.

Here's another link where Chelsea fans that have tickets but want to sell them for face value can do so, you might find someone there:

http://www.ticketexchange.freeuk.com/

Good luck.

3. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wise Choice mate

Go to see the Blues at Loftus Road (QPR) ground against the Fulham, and I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Wear something blue, maybe pop along to the Chelsea ground for tour and mega-store purchase (Chelsea top) beforehand. This will ensure a freindly reception from local blues :)

Some nice pubs in the area, lots of Aussie pubs in fact, ask ClanBlue he's from around that way.

I'll try to find out some more info on tix for you. all the best geezer.

4. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ask the lads

Someone is bound to help you out on here - just email them.

Newyorkblues @ Yahoogroups dot Com

5. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Sounding good

Thanks, guys. I'm feeling encouraged.

Think Chelsea vs Fulham will be a good match? Wouldn't the Blues be heavy favorites?

6. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never know with a London Derby.

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Most of the pubs i used to hang out in are probably gone or changed hands by now.
    The Corn barrel was one i was particularly fond of.

Just south of the ground (QPHas that is), there was a quaint one called the quill and paper,on st stepens road.Never wore any colours in there though as it was usually full of qpr nutters.

There were many other good ones on Devenport, one block over.
    Stay away from the common and wormhold park as they were usually full of trouble makers on game day.As monkey said there are some good Aussie ones, go to australia road (yes i'm serious).
    Out of the stadium, turn right and cross africa will lead straight to the aussie way.

This is all moot anyway as i doubt there will be a ticket to be had for that game.
    A better option would be to contact the club when you get there and ask when the reserve team is playing as there will be ample room and very low prices.

8. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Chelsea in action

Thanks, Clanblue. I liked your idea of checking out the Chelsea reserve team so I went to the Chelsea FC website and learned that they did not have a match while we were there, missed them by one day both at the beginning and the end of our visit. But my eyes dropped down a little bit farther on the page and I learned that the Chelsea junior team has a match at the training ground at Harlington against Norwich City at 11 on Saturday morning, Sept. 21. How does that sound? We just want to watch some good football in an English atmosphere.

9. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tickets

ask for a price from these chaps
    Sales: sales @ ticketbroker. co.uk

or these dudes

To order Fulham FC tickets call (USA 001) 404-254-2738 OR email buytickets @2- tickets. com

try the new york blues - they have connections

hope that helps

10. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks

Thanks again, everyone. I can see that I've got plenty of good options. Not sure yet just where I'll show up. I appreciate the advice.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Hey, as an off shoot, did you ever think of going to a lower division match?

Try Brentford for example.
    'Bout a mile and a half from SB and easilly accessibly by tube.

Won't have the galmour of Chelsea, but it would definitely have a football athmosphere.

12. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    As far as I can make out from the official site there are still tickets available for the Fulham chelsea game, the only sold out game is Arsenal away.

However you will not be able to buy them from chelsea unless you are a season Ticket holder or a member.

I think a trip to see Brentford play (for example)would give you a better idea of European footy then Chelsea Youth.

As for college footy, no one watches school or College sport in the UK. Perhaps one man and his dog on a good day.

13. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Chelsea vs Fulham

We were in the stands last night for the match with Fulham. The concierge at the hotel we stayed at got us tickets in section A with a bunch of Cottager fans. I paid £100 for the pair! Chelsea's fans certainly showed a lot more enthusiasm from start to finish. The match was fun to watch and there was plenty of good play, though the finishing wasn't so good for either team. Good luck to the Blues the rest of the way!

I'm at an Internet Cafe in Kensington writing this, stuck here for now since the strike has shut down the Tube.

14. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Glad you enjoyed it.

The Chelsea fans have always been noted over the years for their vociferous and numerous away support.

During the early 70's, when there was an especially lot of crowd trouble from the hooligan element, the government in their wisdom, goaded by inept police, decided to ban away fans from grounds.

Guess whose supporters kept going anyway:)
    Chelsea had more fans arrested for going to away games during that period than actual hooligans at away grounds.

During the 60's especially, and the 70's and all thru the 80's in the 2nd division Chelsea would often have nearly half as many supporters at grounds as the home team.