Yanks on Foreign YNTs (1997 and later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 15, 2016.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    does have serious played your hand poorly and now being forced to shoot the moon vibes

gogorath repped this.
  2. slider4CU

slider4CU Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Apr 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soto doesn’t have a history of good decision making. So I believe this story.

Certainly not terrible news but if we lose a quality prospect at a weak position, it’s not good news

3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have soured on Soto over the past season. Maybe he will mature and put it all together.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Counterpoint: The kid got himself from a B2 club from for which he did relatively little last season onto an EPL club's books, which I assume doesn't hurt his wages. Still just 20. Maybe he's a gambling man who feels like he's riding a hot hand.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It also might not be true.

dougtee repped this.
  6. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TarHeels17, ussoccer97531 and gogorath repped this.
  7. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Damn! Everyone will be scouting MLS in the near future for players for their NT. I had no idea Robbie was a dual Nat.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nobody called me out on this error? Come on, people!

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You technically weren’t incorrect at the time, when they signed him they were an EPL club!

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    BostonRed repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If they're offering Akinola the full MNT, and more or less a guaranteed roster spot for 2022 qualifying, that's probably much better than he can get from the U.S. without taking the kind of big step forward he'd need to be a lock in the U.S. top 30. (Not saying he couldn't do it, of course.) Then, of course, there's the high likelihood of an automatic spot in 2026, where you might be playing alongside David and Davies. So, that or roll the dice that you make the U.S. Olympic roster?

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    How can Canada honestly offer that? They aren't lacking in strikers -- David, Cavallini, Larin, some other prospects.

He may be closer to the CMNT than the USMNT (or not). He may feel more rooted to Canada, since he's lived there.

But man, if Herdman offered a guaranteed roster spot, I'd be damn suspicious.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I don't know what they're offering or why! I'm just trying to guess at what, setting aside the possibility that he may just prefer to play for Canada for personal reasons, they might be able to offer that's better than what he could currently expect from the U.S., and how much better it might be, given the opportunities for both programs through 2022. If he's not seen as in the top 6 or so strikers for Canada, his position doesn't seem that much stronger than it does for us, though of course it's all relative.

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Oh, I know. I was just working off what you were saying.

I think there's a lot of implied promises that are never meant to be kept in this kind of recruiting. I'm always a bit worried for the players -- you could see the Johnathon Gonzalez stuff coming a mile away. I'm not shocked he got the token cap and has floundered since.

I somehow doubt that's how Mexico pitched it.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'd love more visibility into these processes for sure, since what we usually get is mostly after-the-fact, which means ... who knows, really. There's certainly also always at least a small degree of irrationality, however defined, playing into these decisions, depending on the situation.

It's also possible I'm overthinking things. With the U.S., Akinola probably has little chance of contributing heavily to the 2022 cycle unless he takes a major step forward in production. With Canada, qualifying is less likely, but his chance of participation is surely higher by some measure. Presumably players generally believe that by switching, they gives their new program a better chance of success.

Good luck to him, whatever he decides.

Thundering165 and gogorath repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    BostonRed repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    How dare these English kids have the temerity to play for... England!

18. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    They're dead to me! dead I say!

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    BostonRed repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

22. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alejandro Zendejas called in late for Mexico's U23s:

1324739771541778432 is not a valid tweet id

24. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1349 autobus39, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Matt Doyle mentioned in his season in review for the teams that missed the playoffs that "Tata Martino and El Tri have approached" Frankie Amaya.

Starman* repped this.
  25. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that he would at least be apart of the Dec camp (if not Jan too)