Yanks on Foreign YNTs (1997 and later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 15, 2016.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1101 ChuckMe92, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    '01 former US U18 Alec Diaz has been called to Puerto Rico's senior team. He's a good prospect who would have some serious competition among the '01 US forwards let alone the full group of eligibles for the new U20 cycle.

Edit: this is a call-up to their Nations League roster so he could be cap-tied next Tuesday in their match.

Luksarus repped this.
  2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That would be a mistake.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That is a strange one. Diaz certainly has a good chance to play a big role for the U-20's next cycle, and is one of the best #9 prospects in his age group. Puerto Rico doesn't play any high-level football games. There's every chance he can completely bust, and still be a player good enough to play for their NT in five years. He could be getting bad advice on how to leverage his dual-nationality. He also might feel a bigger link to Puerto Rico than the USA, and prefers to play for Puerto Rico over the USA. If thats the case, you win some recruiting battles and you lose some.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Santiago Munoz was with the Mexico U17s yesterday against the United STates. Here he is post game with FCD academy player Nico Carrera (who has played for Mexico as well). As has been mentioned, Santiago played for FCD's El Paso affiliate.

5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although he's without a club, '03 Lateef Omidiji is currently in camp with Nigeria U17s according to his Instagram story -- not saying he's good enough for US youth teams.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This guy would be a starter on our U-17's.

ckajMonet and BostonRed repped this.
  8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1108 ChuckMe92, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    '02 Yunus Musah of Valencia scored for England U18 against Brazil U18. I think he started for them as a #8 but can play a bunch of positions.

'04 forwards Malick Sanogo of Union Berlin U17 and Mansour Ouro-Tagba of 1860 Munich U17 were both at the Germany U16 camp last month.

1171887669917257728 is not a valid tweet id

According to this, '05 NYRB academy GK Dreni Idrizi has been with Kosovo YNT. His DA profile has US nationality.

BostonRed, autobus39 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Alec Diaz wasn't cap-tied this international window. He didn't play in Puerto Rico's 5-0 loss to Guatemala.

Pl@ymaker and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    ChuckMe92 and BostonRed repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This wouldn't change his eligibility. He is a US citizen, so still could qualify by residency (assuming that's the issue), though he'd have to make a one-time switch.

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see the official roster release soon, but it looks like '03 LA Galaxy W Jonny Perez is at El Tri's training center right now in Mexico City with his Mexico U16 teammates.

I said this earlier but based on their social media, Jonathan Gomez and Jonny Perez treated their previous Mexico U16 call-ups differently. Gomez has posted plenty of US pics before (including him in US kit as Twitter profile pic) and he's now on the roster for the latest US U16s. He kept that US profile pic throughout his time in camp with Mexico, as if he was just giving them a try-out. Perez never posted anything about his US camps as if he were never a US player, then upon his first Mexico call his social media became fully pro-Mexico, clearly revealing which way he leans. Seemed like over-analysis at the time but it turned out to be correct. Good thing for the US is Gomez is definitely the bigger prospect, and if Perez received another Mexico call, it's quite possible if not likely that Gomez received it too and turned it down. Perez isn't bad, but he wouldn't start for a US 2003-born team, while Gomez is one of the top few LB prospects in the US setup.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1113 BostonRed, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Fred Emmings is Luxembourg bound:

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the roster:

https://miseleccion.mx/noticias/2786/La-SNM-Sub-16-inicio-concentracion

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No Gomez on that list, and there’s supposed to be a US camp at around the same time that he’ll be at.

I’m purely guessing, but with Emmings, you would think that Luxembourg is a back up choice and he wouldn’t accept if he was getting constant call ups to his US age group, so unless he gets cap-tied, he’ll probably play for the US if he develops into a player good enough to play for us.

Pl@ymaker and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker, ussoccer97531 and BostonRed repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Various Asian press reports seem to suggest that Wan Kuzain is trying to thread the needle a bit and get some games for Malaysia without committing permanently. I haven't looked for a statement directly from him on this, though I haven't looked that hard.

18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don Lamb, Luksarus and BostonRed repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This one is confirmed by FCD. I'd like to keep him in the pool, but also can't blame him for pursuing other opportunities. Its been quite a while since he's gotten a USYNT callup.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Dest wasn’t ever going to be on the Dutch roster for October games. He would’ve had to file a one time switch in August.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Which we knew he didn't.

I wonder if he'll not be on the cap-tying USMNT roster in October......................but perhaps go to the reported US U23 camp instead. He can stay in the US program, and avoid the cap-tying event.

Anyway, we'll know soon enough I suspect. I'm still cautiously optimistic.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned this elsewhere, but the people I speak with who know Dest aren't expecting him on the USMNT October roster - although they're quick to point out "nobody knows anything right now" about the situation.

Peretz48 repped this.
  25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If you need anyone else to give you a quote like that you let me know! ;)

mike4066 repped this.