Yanks on Foreign YNTs ('01-'04 YOBs and younger)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Seems like it's as good a time as any for a thread that breaks this four-year cycle (and beyond) off from the '97-'00 group. If not, I guess it can go to the place unloved threads go...

Here's one to get us started: American-born '02 Amadou van Leeuwen, currently playing in Cyprus, has been called into Mali's U20s, according to his club.

https://www.facebook.com/AkrotiriFC/posts/852429132179255

He had spent time with their U17s but, I'm pretty sure, isn't cap-tied.

Here's the thread for older players on foreign YNTs:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/yanks-on-foreign-ynts-1997-and-later.2030961/

Here's the YA forum thread for players on other senior NTs:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/yanks-on-foreign-nts-r.1974275/

ussoccer97531 and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is what happens when you don’t have any U-17 camps for a year. Players with options might go elsewhere. Yes, I know he was supposed to be at the cancelled camp, but USSF never rescheduled a camp to call these players into.

1317505373545312262 is not a valid tweet id

xbhaskarx and sakibomb523 repped this.
  3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.instagram.com/marcos.zambrano9/

This '05 Ecuador U16 player is probably American based on his IG bio. Full name is Marcos Alberto Zambrano Delgado. Possibly born in US and raised in South America like many of the US-eligible young players there. Some sources list this player as born in Ecuador but that could very well be just a default/assumed listing that is not true.

4. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan is having a short midseason training camp for their U19s. All three below are alums of the 2019 U-17 World Cup team which faced the US
    • Taiga Hata (RB / Shonan Bellmare - withdrew / 2019 U17WC) has an American grandfather
    • Taishi Brandon Nozawa (GK / FC Tokyo) has an American father.
    • Zion Suzuki (GK / Urawa Reds) was born in the US and is tipped by many to be the biggest keeper prospect to date in Japan.

sakibomb523, ussoccer97531 and BostonRed repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear, having an American grandparent (only) means that the player is extremely unlikely to have US citizenship. It generally only happens when a family deliberately works the process to confirm US citizenship and has to be done before the child is 18. This is assuming that the parent never really lived in the US long enough to pass along US citizenship automatically.

ussoccer97531 and naopon repped this.
  6. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats not good. It's a strong age group, but I think he probably does belong within the best available roster.

Is this cap-tying or only friendlies? He could always switch back later on, but that would require him to currently be eligible for the USA, and he might not be yet. I believe he was born in the DR.

8. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T'markt says that they're playing in World Cup Qualifying, so we could lose him for good. I've seen a few different sources say that he was born in the DR although the DA website says he has US citizenship. It looks like their coach just recently visited the family too.

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

BostonRed repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #12 Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    BostonRed repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This isn't cap-tying yet, but this is part of why we need to start having YNT camps again. If Tunisia can hold YNT camps in 2020, so can we.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  14. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are not going to fly players from all over the country/world when there are record covid rates in numerous states and the country as a whole is seeing a massive resurgence. Just let go of it now man. If other countries want to risk the health of their players then so be it but I don’t think that we should risk it

onefineesq and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    COVID is present all over the world. It’s not only in our country. If these countries can safely hold camps, why can’t we? I think you are wrong to suggest this is a safety issue. The USMNT and USWNT are playing. If it was about safety, why would they be playing friendlies?

I think it’s a matter of finances. Everyone is taking a hit recently, but I believe USSF in particular has made a calculated decision to not put money into the youth programs in 2020. I think it’s going to hurt results and player recruitment a lot how they handled this. I’m not suggesting it’s easy, but completely ignoring it is not the solution IMO.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I somewhat agree with you on the whole, but the answer to that particular question...

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    On a related note, Ayari has signed a pro contract.

18. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With how we are seeing constant issues with international camps around the globe can we seriously say that other countries are doing things safely? I’d trust our doctors over the other countries that are having camps

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some tweets, mostly from the player himself, indicating that Daniel Vicich Tarasov (2002) is getting called up by Peru.

We'll ignore that that's the flag of Liberia, not the USA. His profile indicates US-Peru-Russian allegiance.

https://www.elitehometeamllc.com/daniel-vicich.html

20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I most recently saw him play earlier this week from a game that might’ve been a few weeks ago. It’s no loss to the pool. I don’t even consider him to be in it, but that’s only how I see it.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bilal Hersi, a frosh at Sienna, has appeared with Somalia's U20 squad:

https://www.hiiraan.com/news4/2020/...t_on_somali_under_20_national_soccer_team.asp

After a standout high school soccer career, Lewiston’s Bilal Hersi had plans to take his game to the next level.

His freshman season for Division-I Siena College was canceled due to the coronavirus, but Hersi still found a way to compete at a high level this fall. And, he said, it was a dream come true.

Hersi was selected to play for Somalia — his parents’ birth country — in the African Cup of Nations U20 qualifier tournament. He’s been selected before, but this time he started both games after not seeing the field for Somali teams during previous selections.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is why.

https://images.app.goo.gl/qG2gymTHLgwS3JrE9

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I haven't been able to confirm whether Amadou van Leeuwen appeared for Mali in the African U20 qualifiers (these are qualifiers to the final qualifying tournament, to be clear). They seem to have forfeited their first of two matches and lost the second on the field to Mauritania; they're eliminated.

Somalia's unsuccessful campaign also included some off-field drama, with Rwanda withdrawing from the competition. Meanwhile the tournament continues. I have no idea whether there might be a few other U.S.-eligible guys mixed in as I haven't looked up the rosters, though in a scan a while back I noticed that one country has a player named Ronald Reagan.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I believe (let's call it 99% sure) he did in fact play. If that's correct, congrats to him for his appearance; he wasn't able to get on the field for Mali's U17s in an official match when chosen earlier in his career.