Yanks In Mexico

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Vasquez, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Vasquez

Vasquez New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    OrangeCounty,CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just wanted to ask why we dont see any yanks that are not mexcian amercian playin soccer in Mexico? The last person I can remember would be erick wynalda wiht Leon.

I herd of Yanks in Chile and other parts of South America. Would not Mexico league make more sense??

I think a Kenny Copper for example would be good playing in the FMF.

2. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    uh.....we got this league now called MLS. Just a thought.

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    There's a limit on the non-Mexicna players (5, I believe) and the Mexican clubs usually go for quality South Americans.

There's very little that one can get from an American player that you can't get from an Argentine or a Brazilian.

And you don't have the language/culture barrier.

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    There have been other Yanks in the past, like Mike Sorber I think, and that defender whose name escapes me but was known as a bit of a tough guy - played for Miami I think?

5. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Hernandez was with Necaxa until a couple seasons ago.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Cle Kooiman played for Cruz Azul (and Necaxa?) and was a captain at CA.

Dom Kinnear played for Necaxa.

Mike Sorber played for UNAM.

Eric Wynalda played for Leon.

Tab Ramos played for the Tigres de Nueva Leon.

'Celo Balboa played for Leon as well, IIRC.

7. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    He played for Juarez, Cruz Azul and Morelia..
    His captain time was at Cruz Azul..

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Cle Kooiman was the guy I was thinking of - and Daniel Hernandez doesn't fit the thread starter's criteria I don't think.

9. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    The point is MLS was not around then....they played there or in Europe.

MLS is a little bit behind FMF but with the abuse they will take playing there it is not worth the player's time.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    total nonsense, as usual. None of the best Argies or Brazilians play in Mex- so before MLS there were Americans in Mex.

11. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    It has do more that mexicans see Americans as ¨inferiors¨ in soccer. They see MLS as crap. Reason why you don´t see much Americans ( without mexican origin ) playing in the mexican league.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Skipping right through the personal attacks, the explanation is that the Mexican teams pay good money to foreign players, often in excess of $1M and there aren't (m)any Americans worth that investment to a Mexican squad.

The economic situation was much different 12-15 years ago.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the Mex league was the best paying league in the Americas 12 years ago and players such as the great Mike Sorber and Cle Koimann were "good enough" for the Mex league. Rather implausible that many Yanks are now not good enough. Makes zero sense.

14. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    We are supposed to believe English Premiership or Budesliga teams are taking the "scraps" the Mexican league wouldn't touch.. :rolleyes: That there's nobody beyond them that could play in Mexico?
    MLS.. The biggest source of players to the Premiership outside the European Union for a league.

Or am I mistaken in my premise and Mexico pays better than England or Germany? :eek:
    But of course the best Americans will choose Europe if they have a choice so that plays big in it..

15. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Three letters

MLS....subject over

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    true dat.

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    their are a few "yanks" playing there now I believe...

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If you adjust for the cost of living, it is entirely possible or guys like Blanco and Paco Palencia wouldn't have come back from Europe in their prime.

You also have to count in the endorsement income. Someone like Blanco, Borgetti and Palencia may be stars in Mexico and will get a chance to make more money off that. A Euro club can pay more in salary but the players don't have the same commercial opportunities off the pitch.

The same is true for many 2nd tier national players, who chose to stay home in places like Norway and Denmark instead of going to the lower tier Prem squads - home cooking/language/culture/salary is comparable to what they could make in England or Germany.

As to the Mexican teams not buying the US players, I am surprised that they have not gotten more adult players with dual nationalities (US+Mexico), aside of Daniel Hernandez. They have however been rather interested in the younger US-Mexican players.

But, insofar as the top talent goes, they're into players from the nations that have proved to be successful in FMF - Brazil, Argentina, Colombia and the rest of South American. Aside of Felipe Baloy, I don't think there are that many North or Central Americans in there otherwise.

19. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    JAJAJA...please.

There´s young Americans if mexicans were smart, they would sign and be way cheaper than any South American. But they´re not. I am talking about like Strugis and Conrad,or youngers like Simo and Recken case. Not too much Twellman or Donovan.

20. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You keep saying that. Your missing the debate completely. If your that ignorant then why dont you go read something else.

21. Vasquez

Vasquez New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    OrangeCounty,CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ok thanks guys for all your info. It was just a subject I found interesting. As far as MLS go I just brought up Yanks in Mexico for the reason that some of the players in the MLS dont get paid that much. I belived that some of the American players that play in the MLS could potentially make more money playing FMF.