Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2022-2023 Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    A
    Austen Trusty

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'd even go so far as to suggest Auston Trusty. :) :)

[I know, way too snarky.]

Trusty is on a relegation-threatened (although probably safe) Championship team, and people are suggesting him for a callup. I see no reason that CCV won't be in the mix this cycle. He just played fine at the World Cup. Whether he's in the starting group when the games actually matter is yet to be determined.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pool right now at center back is Richards, Zimmerman, CCV, trusty, and Vampire Ream

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #4904 Clint Eastwood, Feb 8, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    I'd say McKenzie is playing well enough in Belgium to be included in that group.

I mean, in case people haven't checked the standings...................McKenzie has a good shot at winning the Jupiler League this year. We've had champions in Belgium (Onyewu, Kljestan, etc.) but not a lot.

5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Zombie MRob? He'd be one of the faster zombies. They're more dangerous.

OWN(yewu)ED and gogorath repped this.
  6. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I feel like, having been playing as a professional for 6 seasons, there's a general sense of what he is. He's played 16,000 minutes since the fall of 2017 in the Championship and for Celtic. He's got about 3,000 minutes as a youth for various youth versions of Tottenham, and 2 matches for them in the FA Cup. To me, the next thought is what does a standout player for Celtic translate to kind of? To me what's reasonable to argue is, that probably looks like a 15th-20th place EPL squad, or like mid table or worse squad in Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A etc. This is all extrapolating. If you use the 538 rankings they're much higher than that, I think 29th, but I'll be straight and say that's complete bull----. There is no way on earth Celtic are a top 30 team in the world in my view. But it's worth noting, if they were, then CCV starts to sound more like a mid table or better CB anywhere save the EPL (maybe).

I think that's probably where we're at with him, a guy who could start in any big 5 league for a solid to close to relegation fodder team. Is he better than that? I don't see that. Like you said, there are limitations and strengths and his limitations are enough to keep him out of consideration for most teams that consider themselves CL caliber in big 5 leagues (and probably many Europa caliber teams).

But that's still pretty damn good for a guy that didn't receive a cap in 2019, 2020, 2021 or in the entirety of qualifying.

Bajoro and gogorath repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yeah, I think we are agreeing.

I think I just get tired of the dialogue sequence where people are like "CCV is doing amazing at Celtic. He's a LOCK starter. So dumb we didn't start him!" and then people respond pointing out his weaknesses and they SOUND like they hate him rather than...

Yep. Pretty good player. Not elite. Some Strengths, some weaknesses. Neither clearly a starter nor out of it. Let's see more.

FTGOTC and gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I don't have anything against Trusty, but I'm not going to get too excited about him until we see what he can do at a higher level. He's going to be 25 in August, and so far, he looked good for Colorado and Birmingham, not exactly two powerhouse clubs. And after watching a bit of the Championship with so many of our guys there the past few years, I don't want to get into the "what's a better league debate," but I will say that I have questions about good performance in the Championship will transfer. It's very physical, often played on bad fields, and especially teams towards the bottom employ a retrograde route 1 style. I can totally see why a guy like Balogun would be meh in the Championship but blossom against supposedly better competition in Ligue 1.

So, why prefer Trusty over guys like McKenzie and EPB when they're around the same age (McKenzie a year younger than Trusty, EPB a year older), and the other two guys are at better clubs? I hope we see Trusty in March (and he looks good), and I hope he gets a move to better club situation this summer, but as of right now, I'm not setting expectations too high for him.

gomichigan24 and gogorath repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't have that at w/ his club, and the problems have still arisen in Cups against EPL sides, UCL/Europa League, etc. It's not just Real Madrid. It's Shakhtar Donetsk.

And in more athletic, just not top leagues, like the Championship, he was pretty good. But still never once posted the # in the metrics that Trusty has so far this year (on a bad team).

Then we've seen some of the same problems internationally going into the WC, then ultimately in it, regardless of the rhetoric. If I had the clips snipped, they'd be damning.

The problems that are arising are specifically quickness, vertical leap, and height issues that aren't solved in training.

Ream, in fairness, had some of the same issues, and he EVENTUALLY achieved high-level success for club and country. But that wasn't until the ripe ol' age of 35. And his issues weren't to the same degree. He's a few inches taller. His game's not predicated on being thick and strong to keep him from jumping. And he was always slick on ball, outside a crucial lapse here or there.

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    That's fair.

I think what is interesting about Trusty is how complimentary the team and fanbase is of him. It's similar to CCV at Celtic -- they love the guy. He's not merely holding a starting spot; he walked in and best a strong asset.

But with all these guys, you have to see them with the team.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  11. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I always forget him (like Dike this past year). For a good reason though, I don't know what to make of a largely middling MLS career from what I can recall, and now a star turn in the Championship. I just don't understand what it means. I don't know if its projectable, or if he just found the perfect situation for his gifts or whatever? I don't know, but he definitely needs to be called in because building out back lines requires time and reps for that familiarity and communication, I'd like to see Trusty in camp so he can get reps with guys he's literally never shared a field with, ever, even a practice field.

12. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    If he could just eliminate the brain fart mental lapses he'd be top 4 easy, but he and Trusty and others due illustrate the fact that our depth at CB is ridiculous. The problem has always been high end talent, we've got an absolute ton of solid CB's w/flaws, but high end elite guys, we've either got zero, or Richards ceiling. All this being said, if we can roll out nearly 10 guys (hell, maybe 10 guys) and know that all of them would have been easy top 2 to top 3 CB's in any other cycle, and we have to acknowledge that is a good thing.

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if his Achilles recovers he’s a starter shortly afyer he shows fitness imo. The chemistry is awesome. Well…… when he can overthow vampire ream anyways

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MRob was another one of those guys - considerable strength(s) & and no glaring flaws. That was until he blew his achilles.

Now he's just in the pan with all the other potential nuggets. That injury was a big blow to our security at the position.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what you want about Marsch but his transfers were practically all top notch. Ngongo scores against Man U in the first minute. Leeds keep just made an excellent save too to keep it 1-0

ngongo might have been his second best transfer when you consider the money, right behind Adams

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    35 minutes In and Leeds game plan and shape have been excellent

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So you're saying Armas >> Marsch?

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m saying which team is red and thick team is white. Leeds are not dominating but they’re having the run of play

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That Gnonto signing is going to end up being a fantastic deal.
    Adams, of course, was too.

Other than Kristensen, most of the transfers under Marsch have turned out pretty well.

For me Jesse did a lot right..................except get the points. And fairly or unfairly, that leads to being fired. Getting points is the name of the game.

FTGOTC repped this.
  20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They sure do.
    Kristiansen has been his only miss. Ayling looks better. Won his spot back fair and square

ohhhhhhhhh that was very close to a pk for Leeds. Maybe should have been awarded just outside 18 but wasn’t

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If a European club has less than three Americans, is it even trying?

Oranje Agony, nobody and gogorath repped this.
  22. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    2021 I'd co-sign that, other than the issue against Costa Rica (I think it was on him, its been a while) it feels like he had a flawless '21. Achilles are not great so who knows how that plays out (though recent NFL surgeries and I think at least one or two NBA related's were fine other than the John Wall one). Feels like its a toss up whether a guy makes it all the way back or not but at least a bit better than in the more distant past.

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leeds up 2-0. Man U must’ve went out drinking last night. Now Weston trash talkin and getting in faces I love it. Different world snd Jesse is kept on for the Man U sequence, and he’s the hero

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler picks up yellow, tactical challenge

25. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Was Armas playing with Marsch in DCU under Bob Bradley?