Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2020/2021

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 15, 2021.

1. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Smart, slick, and sure. Nice goal.

2. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Now that Mbappe has a stout frame, dude is pretty much unstoppable.

largegarlic repped this.
  3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Derek Rose was at his peak, the Bulls color guy had a great saying, almost a chant about him “Too big, too strong, too fast, too good!"

That's what I think when I see Mbappe and Haaland.

From 1:03

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  4. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Me as well, he's got 10 in 900+ minutes. Come on down. Beggars can't be choosers when you've got a Forward Room littered with nothing but unproven kids, and "proven" worse than mediocrities for vets.

7 goals for like 1700ish minutes with Rennes from fall '18 to spring '20, but was great in Ligue 2 in '17-'18. Not sure if this is his level, or if he just landed on a team w/better options at Forward in Rennes circa the '19 and '20 seasons (Rennes did finish 3rd in '19-'20 so it was stiff competition at least that year, theoretically-grading papers so I'm not looking up). Anyway, I'm excited for him, when the Forward Room looks as purely theoretical and prospect driven as ours does, adding options is necessary. People are seriously attempting to convince themselves that Zardes as starter, four years after Couva, makes sense. When that is true, that alone, get Siebatcheu on the horn yesterday.

5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    The arrow should include Pulisic, Reyna (though I understand if people would just like him to get rest after a bad winter), and Weah, w/whatever upside option we want to throw out there for the tip between Sargent, Siebatcheu, Soto, Niko, Hoppe and all the others. If you want to move Pulisic to Reyna's position so Reyna can just get a week off (another one at this point), then you could put Weah out on the left and Morris on the right.

6. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prepare yourself next season for Brian Brobbey, he is what happens when Mbappe and Haaland make a baby:

largegarlic repped this.
  7. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched Lille and Brobby looks stout but not shot out of a cannon fast but maybe the Lille defender he was racing was very fast..

8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, but I thought that kind of comic play only happened in crap leagues like MLS, not UEFA Champions or Europa League...

Good on Weah to follow the play and finish cleanly. He's a good player.

Three and Three and gogorath repped this.
  9. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does Couva have to do with Zardes? He didn't play a single minute in the Hex. He was injured for most (or maybe all) of it.

Zardes as starter in some games makes sense. It's unlikely (but possible) he'd make a final WC roster, but you definitely need guys like him for qualifying--fighters who can deal with crappy bumpy fields and hacking players, and bumble the ball into the net by sheer will. He's also been in really good form and his numbers under Berhalter are as good as any forward we've ever had.

Bajoro repped this.
  10. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So let me know if it's a problem that I'm watching a Europa League replay of Molde and Hoffenheim on TUDN with Spanish announcers just so I can watch Chris Richards get continental Europe playing time. I mean, there has to be some sort of problem with that, right??? :D

Patrick167, gogorath, 50/50 Ball and 2 others repped this.
  11. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool’s goals against Leipzig were just as bad.

tomásbernal repped this.
  12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Bob was starting a forward that was way worse than Zardes at the WC. Not like I think that was a great idea.

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s funny watching Bob run a high pressing 4-3-3 now. That would have worked so well with the 2010 team.

Landon-Jozy-Clint

Feilhaber-Edu-Bradley ​

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here i was thinking "Werner" , then I realized thats just not possible, lol

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    He needs to improve at going to his left.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Exactly. But, it's kinda hard to swallow them chiding people for overreacting, when they were so down on McKennie for so long.

sXeWesley repped this.
  17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Straight to Ignore. There's a first time for everything.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  18. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i haven’t seen an old school message board troll in a long time.

RalleeMonkey and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This weekend we get Hoppe versus Reyna.
    Nice hype video with a little USMNT history in the Schalke/Dortmund match thrown in. By the way, Gio Reyna is a year and a half younger than Matthew Hoppe.

sXeWesley and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, that was the (attempted) Champions League reference.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's one who always trolls on USMNT articles on The Athletic. It's funny to watch his comments always getting flagged. Classic "El Tridiot" troll.

Winoman and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  22. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    True to form, Tuchel now benching Pulisic for something approximating "calf management" lol shoot me now

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  23. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This is getting bad fast. Read quotes earlier from tuchel saying "no decision has been made" on his potential sale, which doesn't sound great either.

GoBigBlue88 repped this.
  24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But at least, our young ones did well this week (Richards, Aaronson, Weah). There is hope.

25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Zardes hasn't played for Berhalter in over a year and didn't start that game. He also didn't score in that game. Which is strange because he has morphed in social media to some prolific scorer.

He scores roughly once in 3 games for Berhalter. Over his USMNT he scores every almost 5 games. Hardly, "as good as any forward we've ever had". Donovan had those numbers from midfield. Dempsey had a goal every 2.5 games. The much maligned Sargent scores a goal roughly every 2.4 games. Pulisic scores about every 2.4 appearances too.

Zardes is not up for playing the position as Berhalter has been using it. He is not prolific. He is actually sub-par. He has been good in MLS. He hasn't played since November, so is not in any form and just had surgery. He is post-prime age. It is so strange that he is made into Superman.

By the way, the offense under Berhalter has been pretty crappy. We have 12 goals in the 11 games against Top 75 FIFA ranked nations. Maybe the forward that played in most of those is not actually that good?

I'm agnostic on Zardes actually. I do get triggered when he is made out to be Superman or good. He is portrayed, as in this post, as constantly scoring goals with his various body parts. Well, he does do that, but not very often, and not often enough.

nobody repped this.