Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2020/2021

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    So is Richards...........................

FTGOTC, Namdynamo and Winoman repped this.
  2. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Richards did well according to bshredder,

It would be nice is Richards could lock down a starting spot. He’s been a regular sub for a while.

Marko72, FTGOTC, Namdynamo and 1 other person repped this.
  3. MuchoTakeItEasy

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6728 MuchoTakeItEasy, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    In 2019 when we were trying to find a partner for Brooks and looking for someone mobile who could reliably defend in space....is the argument that Miazga should have been that guy?

Long at least played in a Red Bull system that required him to cover ground. Miazga has always been dominant in his own 18 (check out how his team plays in La Liga, they are parking the bus most of the time). In the old school USMNT that would be good enough because we would play on the counter. Now that Concacaf teams are reliably trying to counter us, Brooks-Miazga pairings would be too slow IMO.

Omar was also a slower guy (esp post acl injury) and not a great passer. If anything Miazga would be the better analog to Gonzales if you are comparing to 2018 cycle.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  4. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Richards bears some blame for 2nd goal they gave up.

5. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Barca is very bad. Dest is not fault on the goal. He has to defend two guys. No one track back from midfield.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team photos taken after an all-night pub crawl?

7. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So for how long is Matthew Hoppe out?

Did Reyna make the bench today?

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Both are out til the new year.

YNWA Rob repped this.
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hes racking them up in bunches , unlike many of our other forwards

10. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Julian Green may be on the worst team in the history of the Bundesliga. With their 7-1 loss today to Leverkusen, they have 1 point from 14 games, with a -34 GD.

tomásbernal, Guinho and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Weah is out for a few weeks with a quad injury

Quadriceps muscle injury for Timothy Weah | The little Lille (lepetitlillois.com)

translation via google:

Indeed, Jocelyn Gourvennec revealed that Timothy Weah felt a muscle gene at the end of the last training, Friday. After examinations carried out this Saturday, the American international suffers from a muscle injury to the quadriceps. Bad news for Jocelyn Gourvennec who will have to do without his striker for several weeks: "He hurt himself muscularly Friday night, at the end of training. We were waiting for the examination that revealed a muscle injury to the quadriceps. Is he forfeited for Wolfsburg?

largegarlic and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think you are talking about BS consensus. The views on here dont match that of USMNT fans as a whole.

I think most of the consensus on here like this one are taken way too far. I think a mobile partner for Brooks is a consideration but not near the criteria that the intelegincia on here think it is. I also think creating one criteria for selection is going to limit the selection to something suboptimal (which many on her e don't care about or are actually looking for to get their guy on the field).

Miazga and Brooks played together a number of times together in 2017/18 and against Wales under Berhalter. When did they not look good together and you thought if only Miazga was more mobile? When has Long actually covered for his partner?

Germany started the 2014 WC with Howedes, Hummelstown, Mertsecker, and Boatang. They dropped Lahm to RB for the knockout rounds with Boatang replacing Mertsecker centrally. Why were the world champions not looking for more mobile backs?

Having just one criteria for a position is just dumb as players need to do multiple things well. I'd suggest that Brooks also needs a vocal leader as partner as well. Id also add that the team needs experienced players, especially in the back. Adding just two important characteristics, Long doesn't look like such a good candidate. Miazga and Zimmerman look ore ideal when just looking at these three criteria. When you add in the desire of the team to possess the ball and build out of the back, Miazga starts looking like the best of not great options.

I would have either made Brooks and Miazga starters in 2019 giving guys chances for Miazga's spot or just let everyone compete for spots. I definitely wouldn't have had a Janauary camp and made one of those guys a starter. I think making a decision like Berhalter made means he is either right or has made a horrible decision for the team. If not clear, I think Berhalter has made a mess of the CB position.

To be clear, I dont think Miazga's current level is as good as what we are looking for to take us to the next level. He is who I thought was the best in 2019 and with the highest potential of who was around back then. At the time, I would have hoped Richards would grow into a player who could challenge him or someone would have grown into the role like Robinson has.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what's worse: to not play for the worst team in Bundesliga history, or to play for them.

You could ask a similar question in the opposite direction about Sargent & Norwich.

This stat reflects it's really bad either way.

Apply proper context that it's easier to play off the bench & at your best position.

So I'd say this isn't unflattering to Sargent, because it'd be worse at CF. It's flattering to players who frequently come off the bench like Tessmann & KDLF.

Unflattering to Musah & Scally who normally play out of position, and in Scally's case he's started most of anybody.

This indicates just how good Reyna was & how much the USMNT misses him.

Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1467301627921113089 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And he's a proud contributor to that state.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh i dont think there is any "may" about it. Im not sure they could beat Austin Broccoli FC

Guinho repped this.
  17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Top Right Concacaf: Davies, Dest, TAA (what he was US eligible)...

reddit

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Another good result for Sam Vines and Antwerp. Still hanging on to 2nd place in Belgium.

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gladbach getting murdered by a non-Bayern side w/ Scally on the field. This does seem like a really down week or two for YA's.

Guinho repped this.
  20. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    WTF is going on in Mönchengladbach

Down 6-0 at half? Our boy Scally has the dreaded RED E.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    5 goals given up on dead balls.

22. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    They though they are playing for El Tri.

23. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKenzie started for Genk today vs Mechelen (whom they're tied with on points). Currently 1-1 in the 85th minute, and he's still on the field.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It could be McKenzie and Richards as the starting cb in Jan/Feb.

Venice losing 4-3 after having lead 3-0 was rough. Hopefully, they descend into a spiral of losses.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Genk held for the tie. It helped that Mechelen played half an hour with 10.