Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2020/2021

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He really, really, really should have had the match-winning assist. Inch perfect cross. Seen at the end of this clip of his performance. And by the way, if a Dutch player plucked a ball out of the air with control like Pulisic did in this match, people would be gushing uncontrollably. [Sorry in advance for the horrible music here..............]

Namdynamo, OWN(yewu)ED, Dervos and 2 others repped this.
  2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's about 3 too many "really's" as far as I'm concerned.

This is the first time I'd seen the cross from yesterday that folks here were raving about and I've got to say that's not at all what I expected to see based on those comments. That was not an easy finish, especially when you consider who was on the receiving end of the cross.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think we're SUPER hard on our own.
    Pulisic was really good yesterday.
    He came on in the 78th minute and had all of that action in the above highlight video. Super, super active. Certainly looks fit. That was a really nice cross.

FTGOTC, matt021d, Namdynamo and 4 others repped this.
  4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Would be a highlight reel first-time volley from a seasoned PL striker. Not surprised a center-back didn't finish that, but it's a great cross from Pulisic.

He looked active and dangerous; vintage Pulisic, which is great to see. But he's also come on fresh against guys who've played 75 minutes. He can give absolutely everything for 15 mins, vs. having to conserve himself for the full match if he'd started.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #6630 Suyuntuy, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Pefok is not in a strong league though. The Swiss league is very top heavy, and Young Boys is doing surprisingly badly this season --for their standards. The weak half of that table is quite terrible though. Even CBs from the top clubs have good G/A numbers.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If true it's a prime example of how a player's fortunes can rise or fall with the coming of a new regime.

7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heavyweights do not consider barca good enough

majspike repped this.
  8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    They may not be wrong about Dest’s defensive abilities right now but it speaks volumes about why Barca are in the position they are that the solution is to sell Dest as opposed to coaching him up

Marko72 and theboogeyman repped this.
  9. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    When you at the minutes, it looks a lot better. Pulisic and Reyna have pretty nutty per minute production and Hoppe’s been injured for the bulk of the season. Sargent, KDLF, and Green have all been dissapointing. Not sure what to think of Weah as they seem to play better w/him on the field but counting stats aren’t happening.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Johan Gomez with a brace for Zwickau. I really like this player. He got stuck in Porto's B team, but now gaining some positive momentum in Germany. FCD academy product and Jonathan's older brother.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  11. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    The reason for the reaction is not so much that it was a gimme, anything but, more that it’s difficult to make comically less of the chance than Rudiger did other than by simply outright whiffing on it (which wouldn’t have been as funny either). People were responding to the hilariously bad volley. It was Arriolaesque.

12. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    People do it to their kids also. There is a difference between teaching them to strive/compete, wanting the best for them, setting high goals, never giving up, showing tough love when necessary and being a complete a***.
    They never see it, and their kids wind up suffering or the parents don’t understand why their kid winds up resenting them.

Puli, when healthy is an impact player at a high level. I’ll enjoy it.

13. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    He’ll be fine. Bayern still need a pure right back. Time to come in, get Dest, and make Barca look foolish yet again.

Pegasus and Guinho repped this.
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Because that was a stupid volley? He had enough time to stop the ball, scratch his ass and score.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Plus................Rudiger's attempt has nothing really to do with the quality of Pulisic on that play. He put it on a dime.

Pulisic is REALLY good when he's healthy and match-fit.

Are people judging him against Salah or something? I guess we're going to find ways to criticize Pulisic until he wins a Ballon d'Or (which he isn't). Can we please frickin' appreciate all of the great things that Pulisic does do as opposed to nitpicking the things he doesn't do.

Christian Pulisic is 23..............

I don't know if people realize this, but it would be a huge upset if Christian Pulisic doesn't become the first USMNTer to win the Club World Cup this winter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FTGOTC, Guinho and Winoman repped this.
  16. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, some may have been, but quite a few others made it clear that they (wrongly) thought it was a fairly easy chance that Rudiger had fluffed. Hell, look at the post I was responding to in which Clint said Pulisic "really, really, really should have had the match winning assist" on that play.

17. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He most certainly did not.

18. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    You mean Rutgier as a center defender? How about I give you center forward Weiner? LOL.

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    1:55-1:56 the shot made. Nobody is in 5 yards around the shooter.

20. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring the ball down and take a step to shoot and that distance changes dramatically.

iad_22201 repped this.
  21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6646 MPNumber9, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    It was a good cross. It's the minimum of what you'd expect from someone wearing the 10 shirt for one of the best squads in the world right now. So I'm evaluating Pulisic based on what I think the expectations are for him. It was an up-and-down showing where he also displayed some of his typical bad habits.

On the chance in question, I'd give the share of credit on that play to Ziyech who played Christian to the endline with acres of time and space he needs to get his head up to pick out Rudiger. Ziyech consistently does exactly what Christian doesn't; he draws defenders away from goal and Christian before using a slick pass to play him in behind the defense. Ziyech creates the chance; you'd expect any decent RB to pick the cross out in that situation.

The actual best chance of that part of the game comes from Pulisic squaring the ball into Ziyech, who then plays it through the legs of a Man U defender to find Werner near the penalty spot. The ball is tackled away before he can get a shot off -- which saved Pulisic the embarrassment of having to have the GWG called back because he was inexplicably offside on that play. Srsly, what's he doing? Start at 11:32.

So on balance, it was a fine but not transformational performance. Maybe on another day he gets an assist for his efforts, which we all know he's capable of in such situations. But I think our aspirations for Christian are higher than impact sub.

22. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How often does Rudiger score goals for Chelsea? Some CBs are pretty clinical in the box but his options, given the trajectory of the pass, are to side foot it back across goal or maybe go for a diving header -- most CBs don't show that much composure in the box. Bruno Fernandes would've put the ball on his forehead, if we're being nit-picky.

23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's a yard out of 5.

24. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Dest isn't leaving Barca unless they threaten to freeze him out to force his sale. He had several opportunities this summer, including going to Bayern and turned them all down. Barca is his boyhood dream club. They'll have to treat him horribly and the situation turn ugly before he quits them.

Guinho repped this.
  25. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Pause it at 11:36. Pulisic is making an excellent run anticipating a through ball back from Ziyech. He's onside when Ziyeach instead plays Werner. If Ziyech plays CP through (and it looks like there might have been space to do so), he's in alone on the GK.

Once he makes that aggressive run and doesn't get the ball, he going to be offside when Werner takes a shot. Not much he can really do about it.

MPNumber9 repped this.