Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2020/2021

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It won't make any difference, Tuchel has an awful lot of games to negotiate, he is always rotating the team, Pulisic will get plenty of game time as long as he stays healthy.

FTGOTC, Guinho and Winoman repped this.
  2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I normally do a ranking by making an ordered list of the things being compared. His own coach didn't start him on the wing today, and that's picking out of relatively tiny pool of wingers that doesn't include options like Neymar, Mbappe, Salah, Mane, Sane, Rashford etc. that would be on most people's list if you opened it up to "best wingers in the world".

3. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I agree that playing is a risk for your club career, but it’s a risk that you have to take if you’re a fringe guy and you really want to play, which is what LDLT is.

you say that berhalter has his mind made up, but Robinson and Zimmerman broke into the first 11 by getting their feet in the door at the gold cup. Berhalter could’ve stuck with McKenzie and Brooks since they won nations league, and if he was as inflexible as you say, that’s what he would’ve done.

tomásbernal and FTGOTC repped this.
  4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when you came around here just to tell everyone how terrible Jozy Altidore was. Weren't you previously a Sunderland fan? Or did you just come around here for shits and giggles as a Chelsea fan? And why are you posting now in "Yanks Abroad"?

Grumpy in LA and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOT *CLAP* EVERYONE *CLAP* NEEDS *CLAP* TO *CLAP* BE *CLAP* MARADONA *CLAP* TO *CLAP* BE *CLAP* EXCITED *CLAP* ABOUT *CLAP* THEM

Christ almighty, in your world, is there a football player worth a crap besides Ronaldo, Messi, or Mbappe? Heaven forbid we allowed to be excited about "second rate" players like Saleh, Pulisic, Alphonso Davies, Son, or Bruno Fernendez.

Have you seen the sort of players clubs like Leeds, Aston Villa, Wolverhampton, Newcastle, and West Ham fans get excited over?? Ill give you a hint, its a few classes below Christian Pulisic. Not everyone can be Chelsea, Manchester City, or Liverpool, and thank God for that.

7. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    WTF??? Not me, I don't know anything about Jozy Altiore? Besides whats wrong with my posts?

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Marius Tresor, ChrisSSBB and Winoman repped this.
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .......dont get that. Seemed like the perfect time for Julian Green to look at a different opportunity. Furth is obviously a dead end.

Guinho repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll be looking to get them promoted next season.

onefineesq, xbhaskarx and gogorath repped this.
  11. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Green is a good to very good B2 player. Why leave?

Where would actual interest come from? Ijust posted this in another thread.

I have watched every minute of him this year. Yeah, it’s a real bad team, and Julian is an in over his head B2 player on that bad team. He has been so ineffective he had been benched before lasts weeks invisible first half and subsequent yank. Gives me no pleasure to say it but he doesn’t belong on our Nat team. If Busio, Reyna and DLT r available there is no way. W regard to club situation, what has he done that would make any decent team interested. Seriously? Average to above average B2 player doesn’t scream interest. He is somewhere where he will play and where they know what he brings. He will be a solid B2 cog again next year. The surprise promotion won’t happen again. Nothing wrong w that. He is what he is.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not MLS starter level, where else? Hopefully his admirers (who haven't even seen him playing in the last 3 years) will shot up finally. I'm kidding, we will be hearing about him being snubbed till 2026.

Boysinblue repped this.
  13. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Folks can be as optimistic as they want. They can use him to disparage the Nat team coach just because, they can say he has to be better than any MLS player brought in, they can live in a nostalgic past, but if u have watched him play over these last two years, even at his best in B2, he just isn’t a high level player. No shame in that, he has carved out a nice career, but if he is the guy u r sticking your neck out for then the problems r with yourself. Even in B2 last year he could never force the game, the best matches and moments are when they came to him. At 26/27? it ain’t changing.

Marko72 repped this.
  14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was personally thinking a BL2 level team, which I don’t consider Furth to be. I have to constantly rub my eyes at the names of teams in the league below; Bremen, schalke, Hamburg, Nuremberg, Hannover, Dresden, it’s pretty wild. From a big ckub perspective I would have liked to have seen him at that sort of club

Guinho and Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  15. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Those would be great moves. Maybe he would fit as a guy who could help them be promoted. Still, his B1 play back to his loan w Stuttgart 5 years ago, and now, may not be enticing enough for clubs like that. They want a player who can help promote while being able to contribute somewhat to B1. I would luv to see moves like those happen but it is probably safer and smarter to stick to a club that knows u and wants u. An MLS move wouldn’t be a guarantee either. Team and style would matter A LOT.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  16. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is MLS starter level after watching 40+ MLS games this season. He may age out of that level soon but he is there now.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  17. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    This gives me an idea.

In the collective wisdom of Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week posters, who's the USMNT-eligible player on an overseas club most likely to become an MLS Flavor of the Week during 2022?

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Ream.

Bajoro, MPNumber9, DirectK and 1 other person repped this.
  19. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we could have a collective wisdom from MLS jock sniffers. Pick an award. The overvalue MLS fans give to the level of play in their league is every bit as egregious and Euro snobs' eval of players there.

20. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Great call -- he's out of contract at the end of this season. ETA: Staying with Fulham, so is Damian Las.

Any other candidates? Let's keep this going.

21. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Andrija Novakovich is also out of contract at the end of the 2022 season and has barely played for Frosinone this year.

22. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Yeah, he would start, but where he went would decide how effective he is. A KC Vermes like environment good, a Nashville like environment, eh. Even a team like RB might not be the best fit w the uber pressing. He needs some time and circulation. He needs support where he won’t have to physically do to much. He has ability, but not so much where he will be a home run wherever he goes IMO.

jaykoz3 and IndividualEleven repped this.
  23. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Yup, Another one that fell off a cliff. I’m very thankful by the growth of our talent pool that we don’t have to endure, player X in 2nd division whatever has to be involved no matter what!!!!!!!! Sad and exhausting. Another player who has shown some skill, but not nearly enough. Let’s see what happens.

Marko72 repped this.
  24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too long ago a few of us were keeping our fingers and toes crossed for Frosinone and Novakovich to go up via the Serie B playoffs. It was close. Very close.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lynden Gooch's contract at Sunderland ends next summer, so does Terrence Boyd's at Hallescher FC

Maybe Kenny Saief.

NYCFC are making a habit of picking up Americans from Europe. Keaton Parks, Alfredo Morales, Gedion Zelalem and Chris Gloster all featured this season. Aron Johanssen (free agent) would be decent signing to fill out the roster.