Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2020/2021

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 15, 2021.

1. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont know how anything works, but hopefully step 1 is nullifying his contract so he can sign and play somewhere now.

tomásbernal repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julian green relegated to bench for furth against hertha

Guinho repped this.
  3. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah lets call him in....lol

Boysinblue, jaykoz3 and Guinho repped this.
  4. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got a DNP against a relegation candidate.

And they lost. Hope they enjoy their one year in the Bundesliga.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah theyre the weakest Bunda team ive seen come up in some time. Maybe since Darmstadt. Maybe even worse.

And yeah, even worse that it is against the gigantic wobbly wheel that is Hertha, a rival relegation candidate

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he carrying a knock? Because he’s been a regular for them. But yeah, they’re going down.

7. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Or if you are thinking about anything like that, have your agent take a look at the financials of the club to make sure it isn't a total ---- show.

Pegasus repped this.
  8. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    You should see the way they lost lol, ouch.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  9. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    I’ve watched it 10 times and I still can’t figure out how the defender managed to do that. Did his attempted clearance go off his own other leg and in?

10. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he got at least one. Nice assist from Lingard!

sXeWesley and Guinho repped this.
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yet Zimmermann and Miles Robinson dont garner interest from BL clubs.........I imagine this comes down to the money thing cuz covid.

Cuz Tanner Beason and David Steres could provide better defense than some of the bottom level BL teams ive seen this year

12. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walker Zimmerman is 28 years old and makes almost a million dollars. There are almost certainly European clubs that he would improve, but probably not clubs that would be willing to pay the transfer fee and wages it would take, especially at his age.

Miles Robinson though I am surprised by the lack of interest. While not a pup, he's only 24. Geoff Cameron didn't go to Stoke until he was 27. Of course MLS wages weren't nearly as good back in 2012 (Miles makes close to $700K). Anyway, perhaps now that he's performing so well for the national team it will spark interest.

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent starts against relegation rivals Watford. 3-1 loss. Looking like Norwich are doing their best Gruether Furth impression. Could be relegated by Christmas, only halfway joking,

Guinho repped this.
  14. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4514 MuchoTakeItEasy, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Haji scores against Besiktas. Well taken darting run onto a through ball and finish near post. Not sure how to compare his performance in the Turkish league to our other strikers but interesting nonetheless.

Weah subs in for Lille after a stoppage occurred when Lens fans stormed the field to confront Lille fans. Sheesh. Happy to see Weah back.

Namdynamo, FTGOTC, SCSAutism and 3 others repped this.
  15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    French fans seem to have a lot of pent up anger and frustration after not being able to attend last season

dlokteff and Bajoro repped this.
  16. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Otasowie on the bench for Club Brugge.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scally:

1439286444137357313 is not a valid tweet id

Haji Wright goal:

https://streamable.com/etgw59

Marko72, edcrocker, tomásbernal and 3 others repped this.
  18. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Quite record to go down in both the Bundesliga and the PL in successive years. Maybe he can join Alves to make it three relegations in two seasons

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was just about to point out Miazga and Alaves. They are just as disastrous as the aforementioned. A trifecta of serious suck.

Guinho repped this.
  20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    And I really liked Miazga and had great hopes for him, honestly, but he just hasn't grown at all.

When people say that players need to go to Europe to grow, he's an excellent counter-example, actually.

OWN(yewu)ED and tomásbernal repped this.
  21. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    solid debut for "hope", half an hour off the bench did well with the ball, a few good touches for teammates into space (which i get the sense theyre not very used to) and a well taken goal (rightly) called back offside. i guess in his defense he had to meet the ball, it wasnt him being impatient.

Footsatt and Guinho repped this.
  22. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you disappointed that he hes "only" grown to be a solid second division/mid level league player or are you saying he hasnt grown as a player? cause that would be a ridiculous claim.

23. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously it's tough to make comparisons between leagues but seeing the impact Busio is making on a bad Italian team (key assist today) is really interesting to me from an MLS vs Euro call-up perspective. At the Gold Cup Busio showed a lot of promise but was clearly behind Lletget and Acosta and honestly didn't look to be as impactful of a player as Roldan and you could make an argument Williams was better too. I honestly thought Busio would at best be a sub this year in Italy but I was clearly wrong.

Either Busio has magically made huge "Euro-fairy dust" strides in a very short period of time or maybe the predominant Bigsoccer view of players like Acosta and Roldan needs to be adjusted. If Busio is a decent starter on a bad Big 4 league team level they are too.

Something to keep in mind the during the next freakout over Green not getting called in.

MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.
  24. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Or option number 3, let's not make sweeping generalizations about how we should compare leagues and players after 3 starts and 1 assist. Especially when we are talking about different players with different roles on different teams in different leagues in different stages of their career.

25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I think the thing with Miazga is going to Chelsea really wasn’t a great move for his development. It’s not a good situation where every year you are on loan with a different team who has no long term stake in his development. What he needs is some stability in his club situation.

I think with going to Europe picking the right club and finding the right fit is super important. Sometimes going to the biggest name club isn’t the best idea. Similarly ending up in constant relegation battles isn’t great either. Sometimes going to a smaller club/league as a stepping stone like Aaronson is a good move.

Interestingly there has been some articles about this in the Athletic, but there is this new trend among European agents to hire analytics firms to identify the right club/league fit for their clients. Some of the examples cited are moves that have worked out super well, but obviously it’s not foolproof. Still I’d be fascinated as to what such a system recommended for some of our guys.

autohag, Marko72, Guinho and 1 other person repped this.