Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2020/2021

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 15, 2021.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Venezia get EPB, and its full on VeneziAmerica status

sXeWesley and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Booth injured

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everton yes, Arsenal pls no

Pl@ymaker, Eleven Bravo, Dander and 4 others repped this.
  4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Pretty wild seeing a Serie A side recreate Fulhamerica, except only targeting players with less than a handful of USMNT caps.

mbar and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  5. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    It is an interesting and different investment strategy. Young American players on the periphery of the national team.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  6. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard players talk about it. Getting paid on time, every time and getting to live in America is a pretty big draw for a lot of guys.

7. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I mean if Venezia is playing even 2 of the 3 of them big minutes this season they’re in big trouble.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he goes to Venezia, thats a pretty good situation for him. Top flight ball, we all know his shortcomings, so hopefully he can be coached up on that.

Now get me one of those fancy US right backs and I wont be able to contain myself.

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was an article about this a little while back, but I believe their director of analytics is American and has stated that he thinks American players are undervalued relative to how good they are.

Yowza repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That worries me.

11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I feel like this has always been true as a general matter -- going back to the original Fulhamerica where three Americans who would amass well over 400 Premier League starts and a handful of Player of Year awards between them cost the club some $4 million dollars combined. But those were all USMNT starters when they transferred.

Venezia are really putting my faith in that theory to the test when they start looking this far down the USMNT depth chart for options.

Pegasus, USSoccerNova, FTGOTC and 2 others repped this.
  12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Their owner is also American.

It definitely brings more questions about whether these are good moves from the team’s perspective / how good these players really are given the pro-American bias….

…but Busio especially and Tessman to a lesser extent had other interest, and while we hadn’t heard much about EPB … it’s a great opportunity for him, right?

Yowza, majspike and gomichigan24 repped this.
  13. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't follow the EPL that closely. Will Hoppe get playing time at Everton?

14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Just a heads up that Joe Scally started in Borussia Monchengladbach's last friendly of the preseason today -- a 2-1 win over Groningen. Sounds like he played at LB.

It also looks like they started their strongest available lineup. 8 of their 11 starters today were first choice starters last season, while 2 others were rotational starters. Scally was the only new player in the lineup.

15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you forget he’s American, EPB’s CV doesn’t seem too light for a low level team in a top 5 league.

Yowza repped this.
  16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It sort of depends on whether you view him as a Manchester City player or not.

He's spent his last 3 seasons playing for a bottom half Austrian side and a relegated Dutch side. Prior to that, he never really started anywhere. I wouldn't expect a player with that resume to attract much interest from the top leagues, even from a newly promoted side. But it's possible that the Man City label would open more doors, even without the American connection here.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s my thinking. Former youth international for a decent team, Man City etc…

18. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    This is also making me realize that we're about to see all 3 of our most prominent loan army defenders finally sold this transfer window (Miazga, CCV, and EPB). It seems like the end of a trial run experiment here.

I'm trying to remember if we've ever had any examples quite like these 3 in the past -- USMNT players who signed with Champions League clubs at a relatively young age, and then spent the next 3 or more consecutive seasons out on loan, with an eye toward a profitable sale. (I'm not really counting Mix, who transferred later in his career to Man City, mostly as an accounting gimmick it seems.)

19. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Very cool, so I guess it's possible that we may have a left back starting in the BL to open up the season? I could deal with that.

Yowza repped this.
  20. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Busio to Venezia official, or is it just a widely-believed rumor?

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor.

23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    More than a rumor, less than official.

Venezia's technical director has said multiple times that he's coming.

24. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching. Does Dusseldorf have a YA on the roster as well?

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s kinda unusual they’re letting him go the whole gold cup before making it official. If Venezia said “come now” after the knockouts everyone would have understood. Maybe greg said “plz let him stay we have no one else”