Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2019.

1. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I've wondered about this in the past. It seems like Berlin should have a major club. It's obviously one of the great cities of Europe along with Paris, London, Barcelona, Madrid, Amsterdam, Milan, etc., but Hertha was never close to as good as the big clubs from those cities.

So, it seems like there could be an opportunity there for McKennie to be part of their rise to contender status. I'd say a club like Everton would be a good fit, but we know that Everton will pretty much never qualify for the UCL. Maybe Hertha is on their way to becoming a perennial qualifier for Europe.

sXeWesley and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Weston go to the EPL. How about Man U.....please!!!!!

TimB4Last repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Make that Man City and it's a deal!!!!! :p

4. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Man City just let Sane go they may have a need!

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dest of course has PSG, Bayern, and Barca.

I guess the dream situation would be McKennie('pool), Dest(PSG), Richards(Bayern), Weah(Lille), Adams(Leipzig), Reyna(Dortmund), Steffen(ManCity)

Maybe AC Milan or another solid team comes in for Jedi Robinson, if he continues to maintain his C'ship form.

Zinkoff repped this.
  8. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all the suitors for Dest, (and this sounds insane and surreal to type out), PSG would be the least desirable imo.

Crazy list regardless when you list them all like that. Good times.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I wanted a team different from Richards's and Barca are in a bit of turmoil.

Throw Cannon in there with Freiburg.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know about McKennie to Liverpool. Is Wijnaldum leaving?

What I worry about is what happens to talented players that sign for clubs like that. Like say Marko Grujic. He didn't really get a chance there..................
    Where was he on loan this season? You guessed it: Hertha Berlin.

In my head I don't put McKennie in the same category as Pulisic. Even though he's young, Pulisic is so polished. He was so ready to be a star player at a club like Chelsea with little additional development required. I don't think of McKennie that way. I think of McKennie as requiring more seasoning. I'd like a year or two more in Germany at a club in a better position than Schalke. Heck, I like the Bundesliga more than the Premier League anyway.

Zinkoff and largegarlic repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There are three FCD academy kids to really watch this summer in the transfer market: Richards, Cannon, and McKennie. Ironically, McKennie spent much longer in the FCD academy than the other two...............but we think of him as having the least connection to the club.

The next FCD academy player to keep an eye on is Chris Cappis at relegation threatened Hobro. Are they safe? I haven't checked. Either way, it wouldn't stun me if he moves this window too. We also have to keep an eye on Shaq Moore, who folks forget was at the FCD academy. Surely he'll move.

Once those five are taken care of, we'll think about the transfer of Pomykal this January......................

By the way, former FCD homegrown signing and US youth international Alex Zendejas just signed for Necaxa in Mexico.

Zinkoff, SteelyTom and Winoman repped this.
  12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Wijnaldum and Jordan Henderson will be thirty soon, and Milner is like 35. The articles I see list McKennie as a "long term" option to keep Liverpool going rather than someone coming in and starting next year.

I agree that he's not ready to step into Liverpool. But perhaps it would help him make the next step to be under Klopp and those players.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think Wijnaldum is actually out of contract right? Although they're negotiating.
    Adam Lallana is also most assuredly leaving.

I don't like the whole "long term option" classification. This is what premier league clubs say when they sign players like Miazga, Palmer-Brown, Steffen, etc. It means they're gonna sign them and loan them out. That's not what I want.

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I mean, I have no insight into Liverpool. But I expect Klopp operates differently -- if McKennie went there, I'd imagine he'd be a backup until he earned a spot.

I don't think Liverpool really does the loan army thing.

Zinkoff and Pegasus repped this.
  15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, take a closer look at the website where that Liverpool rumor originally appeared. It's one of those "citizen journalism" sites full of content created by unpaid nobodies looking for clicks. The author of the piece has written over 4k articles (mostly paraphrased summaries of work done by real journalists) in 2 years and has a twitter following of fewer than 200. He doesn't have any inside sources and only wrote this because he knew gullible US fans would lap it up.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Cannon this Summer.

Pomykal and Pepi in the winter.

DHC1 repped this.
  17. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be nearly impossible for Weston to crack the XI at Anfield...

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Don't think anyone would expect McKennie to start upon his arrival at Liverpool.

Haven't found any more news on Aaron Long's transfer situation.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

say no more fam. The El Loco Leeds system caters completely to him, he could do very well in it.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bielsa hiring Yedlin is like Kubrick casting Will Ferrell.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Transfer rumors are like conspiracy theories: only believe them once they happen.

24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I'm guessing you don't just mean that in the obvious sense of not assuming that a transfer will happen until it actually happens.

If you're saying you shouldn't even assume there's any interest just because there's a transfer rumor, I think that's fair to some degree -- since even the more legitimate sources may themselves be relying on a mix of 3rd party sources that they can't independently verify.

However, I do think that for at least some outlets you can say there's a good (if not perfect) chance that there's actual interest if they're reporting on it; and if you have enough of those types of outlets reporting something, then there very likely is some clear interest. In the UK that would include the BBC, the Telegraph, the Guardian, and SkySports. In Germany that would include Bild, Sport1, and Kicker.

DHC1 repped this.
  25. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a year and a half old and in the Sun but that's the kind of stuff at least worth mentioning here (unlike "citizen journalism" from the likes of 90min.com). Now Sun journos are incredibly ethically challenged and everything they write should be taken with a few grains of salt, but they have sources and occasionally get shit right. Of course I'd be certain to add a word like alleged/purported/supposed before discussing any transfer interest reported in that paper because, as those who are familiar with how tabloids like the Sun operate would tell you, it could very well be fantasy.