Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2019.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it a disaster?

2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, while there have been some rumblings about a potential move for Yedlin, 1) Manquillo was set to be out of contract and was rumored to be on the way out of Tyneside (with Betis, Palace and So'ton reported to be interested) before signing an extension just this week and 2) we really didn't know whether Krafth would be preferred to Yedlin until today.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id hope West Ham take a peak at Yedlin. They need a ton of help on their back line.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It was only 16 minutes.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #2230 IndividualEleven, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Cannon has interest from Freburg.
    McKennie has interest from Hertha.
    Jedi Robinson has interest from Wes Ham.
    Don't think Yedlin is an EPL-level RB, at least not in the conventional sense.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    CCV is looking somewhat more mature as a defender now, a better option than EPB. CCV's game is one that is particularly useful in a bunker: he has a good sense of space when used as the last man for desperate clearances.

Neither of them is particularly great at coming out playing from the back though.

Excellency repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dream move for Yedlin is Leeds in the likely chance they go up. Let the mad scientist go to work on him. Leeds cant possibly screw this up again........can they? I mean tying bottom of the table Luton doesnt do much for confidence, but they mopped the floor with Fulham a few days ago.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    CCV had the highest pass completion % in last season's C'ship.

Would like to see Yedlin go where he will be tactically used as a deep-lying winger, whatever his nominal position.

9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mckennie and robinson are better than those teams (robinson to leicester ftw).

and i cant say your opinion doesnt matter, but its not a matter of opinion. ffs how can you even justify saying you dont think yedlin is an epl-level rb when he is, in fact, a 7 year epl vet? i mean, say it confounds you that he is,say hes the worst epl rb of all time if you want, but you genuinely can NOT say hes isnt an epl level right back. i mean, the jurys back on that one (and has been for most of a decade).

Zinkoff, Grumpy in LA, sXeWesley and 3 others repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    14/15: 11 minutes
    15/16: 1,812 minutes
    16/17: C'ship
    17/18: 2842
    18/19: 2475
    19/20: 789

Following his move from the C'ship, he had a good 2-year run in the EPL before his level was found out.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #2236 Clint Eastwood, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    There's reportedly a lot more interest in Cannon than just Freiburg. Newly promoted Stuttgart has been named as another club in Germany with interest. [They have an American born coach.] Also two clubs in Belgium were recently named: Gent and Anderlecht.

Of course, Anderlecht already has two former-MLS fullbacks. Michael Murillo and Kemar Lawrence.

Cannon just signed a new contract thru 2024 at FCD, so they're not going to give him away. I suspect that if a bidding skirmish is started, the Belgian clubs will be out of the running.

As far as Cannon's former academy teammate goes, I can see McKennie at Hertha Berlin. Schalke has financial difficulties, so they're likely to sell some players. After the top 3 or 4 Bundesliga clubs.................there's another 12 that are all about the same to me. All good opportunities. Hertha is solidly mid-table the last couple of seasons. If they're willing to pay 25 million for Weston, then its probably where he'll end up.

12. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Cannon also has interest in Belgium with a couple teams. Freiburg wouldn't be a bad place for Reggie. They had a decent season for them, will likely get some money to spend if they sell Koch. Wouldn't expect Freiburg to get into Europe but they should stay up and give Reggie could experience.

Wes has to think long and hard about where he goes next if he leaves Schalke. He should garner a decent amount of interest so i wouldn't jump just at Hertha

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I would be thrilled if Reggie went to Freiberg - not so excited about Gent or Anderlecht as the general quality of opponents will be similar to MLS. The only worry I have about Stuttgart is the likelihood of them porpoising back down to B2.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know. Stuttgart is a pretty big club after all. They finished as high as 7th in the league as recently as 2017/18.

There's so much parity that it can be hard to predict promotion/relegation in Germany. Hamburg and Hannover are stuck in Bund2. Big clubs! Nurnberg is a big club and they're in the relegation playoff from Bund2!!!

I mean, we thought Bremen was a great place for Sargent. They finished 8th last season. This season they're in the relegation playoff.

So when somebody says Weston McKennie shouldn't go to Hertha Berlin, for instance, I say.............why not? They've been mid-table the last couple of seasons. However, they apparently just had some new investment. McKennie may be part of an influx of talent leading to a rise up the table for them.

Patrick167 and DHC1 repped this.
  15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I didn't mean to say that I think it's likely that Stuttgart will go down as I simply don't know enough about them. I do think that recently promoted teams have a higher chance so was worried about it.

I personally think that Weston is at about the right level so don't feel that strongly about a move to UB.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Schalke apparently has a lot of financial difficulties at the moment.
    They're likely to sell their top players, and McKennie is one of those.

Schalke plans to slash spending as virus strains finances
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...s-to-slash-spending-as-virus-strains-finances

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also it should be noted that Hertha has gotten a huge influx of cash. They hope that they're "upwardly mobile." Of course the new investment group's first decision was to install Klinsmann as coach. Oops. So this is a club that might outbid supposedly "bigger clubs" for McKennie if they want him.

Investor betting almost $500M on ‘big city club’ Hertha
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...eccbb0-bc65-11ea-97c1-6cf116ffe26c_story.html

Zinkoff, largegarlic and Suyuntuy repped this.
  19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First tie of the relegation playoffs ended 0-0. That was at home to Bremen. Sarg got only 6 minutes.

20. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    That game was so hard to watch; made me miss MLS ;)

yurch10 repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    When you routinely watch top second divisions in Europe and the weakest teams even in the Top 5 leagues, you realize MLS is bad, but not THAT bad.

SteelyTom repped this.
  22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bremen somehow come on top in the next round, they have to know they MUST splash cash otherwise theyll be in the same situation next year.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    More clubs reportedly interested in Weston McKennie.

Pegasus, OWN(yewu)ED and SteelyTom repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mckennie would fit well at the mid table level in the EPL.

25. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^agreed.

my issue with his (possibly) moving to herta is hes 21, still growing into the player hes going to be. he has...if not fully established himself as a "top 4" level starting cm, shown that thats likely/probable.

so i simply see more opportunity for growth moving to a different league if hes going to move. staying in the bund isnt in any way bad, nor is becoming just that- a career mid-level bund player. but shalke to everton opens him up to a lot more than shalke to herta, imo.

so, updating my completely made up americans abroad transfer rumors- antonee robinson to leicester, mckennie to arsenal.

largegarlic repped this.