Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2019.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good match by Sargent with an assist leading the line v FC Hollywood!

2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Thought Sargent looked good today. Only got an assist. If I were him, I would just let fly from the outside more. You figure 2 of them skitter in over the course of a year.

3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught the last ten. I thought he could have made the keeper work a little harder on those 2 break away shots.

4. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yes, he needs to be more aggressive. He has the tools to impact every game he’s in.

5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was impressive that he shook free for the shots but the finishing wasn't confident IMO.

NietzscheIsDead and largegarlic repped this.
  6. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Maybe after Sargent watched US game with Giocchini and Soto scoring, there are some fire under his butt.

Bajoro repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lyrics from Dragon Attack by Queen.

I'm gonna use my stack.
    It's gotta be Mack.
    Gonna get me on the track.
    Got a dragon on my back.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else find the phrase starting on the bench confusing?

frankburgers and TheRightPants repped this.
  10. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it’s just the beginning of the end of contradictory phrases I, as an introverted extrovert, love to hate.

majspike, largegarlic and Winoman repped this.
  11. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    That’s a tough hit right there. Dream goal.

I think Green has a role with the nats.

adam tash repped this.
  12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I ask this question every time people push out mediocre players: what position do you think he plays and what is your depth chart there?

largegarlic repped this.
  13. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    He’s brought to add veteran influence. Berhalter plays a relatively positionless lineup. I’m not married to anything with any of these players except for the obvious, but Green generally produces when he’s called in.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Green has 2 goals and an assist in 6 starts at cm. He has a WS of 7.53. His team is 2nd in the B2. Doesn't appear to be mediocre.

He's been playing cm in 3-man central midfields, which is what GGG has been using. In a single-pivot, which is what was used in the most recent friendlies, Musah and McKennie would have dibs on the two 8 spots. Reyna could also play there in a more attacking role.

After that, the 8 positions are up for grabs. And Musah isn't even cap-tied yet.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and adam tash repped this.
  15. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple question. Who sits if you play Green?

gogorath repped this.
  16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    23 players on a roster. Green doesn't have to be a starter to be included.

I think he is easily better right now than some of the youth players like Konrad and Uly in terms of winning a game tomorrow and its not close. I'd rather have him on my bench in an official game than some regulars. Especially the MLS guys like Roldan or Bradley etc.

People are a little slow (understandably) to notice his recent growth. He is playing in the middle and looks to be leading his small club to the Bundesliga....he's better than he's ever been right now. This is a guy who has scored vs Belgium and France.

If you wanna say the bench is only for u23 and building for the future, okay. There's an argument for that.

Personally, if there's a win now match...I would want to see top 23 regardless of age (which would be much different than GBs rosters, imo)....and Green wouldn't be a lock for those rosters but clearly in the convo.

Bajoro, RalleeMonkey and ardubois3 repped this.
  17. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things holding Greene back in the US kit. He's at BL2. Needs to get back to the big league and repeat what he's doing. And, he's the poster boy for the Klinsmann haters. He represents all that's bad from JK era.

i like him. I also would take him over Roldan, Bradley, etc. If nothing else you sub him in late in a game that's likely to end in a shootout. He should be a camper at least based on form alone. Can't see him starting but you never know.

18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roldan, Lletget, ...

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Well, that's super vague.

20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    My issue with Green for this team is what it's always been. He's not a creator, and not much of a passer. A ton of his value is tied up his long range shot, and his ability to keep the ball. Those aren't bad things, but I really don't see how a player who really doesn't pass particularly well and tends to dominate the ball works with this team.

While he may be better right now than Llanez or Konrad, I'm not sure either of those guys are in our best 23 (I also don't think he's a winger). And I really struggle with him in CM -- I don't think he's nearly as good a fit for the team as say, Lletget.

Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see anything near the type of player we watch. But I admit I'm not watching full games of Green at this point. If the highlights are just long shots, I'm passing.

ardubois3 repped this.
  21. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Green deserves consideration, but his goal vs. Belgium is 100% irrelevant to assessing his current or future level, or his possible value to the national team. A fluke in the World Cup is still a fluke. Multiple years of unimpressive play in the lower divisions is not a fluke.

I mean, placing any importance at all on that one goal is like suggesting that Brad Friedel may have secretly been a Premier League quality forward. After all, Friedel's goals/90 at that position is presumably pretty high.

22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fair enough. I noticed he was wanting in the run of play last time I watched him the USMNT kit, i think it was under Sarachan.

So many times he would squander space and make a negative/nothing play in the middle of the pitch. He played as undynamically as possible. Quite underwhelming. Not sure how much of that is him/how much is lack of clear coaching...

I have the feeling he has improved based on reports and things he has said etc and the results of his team.

If so, then I don't think league should be the thing that holds him off the roster.

He's the type of player who always had so much potential and just needed to take the leap. If he has...waiting a few more years for the evidence to be irrefutable seems unnecessarily wasteful.

We've just seen that reserve players and 2nd division players can do quite well...much better than you might thnk given their club history.

I'm not saying he should start next match. Just I think the fact that he's in BL2 shouldn't be the deciding factor against him. Or even really a factor at all.

How good is he? that's all, that should matter.

gogorath repped this.
  23. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well nobody I know has Roldan on the team anyway.

As for Lleget. I'd take him over Green. Is he good enough for the 23 man roster? Maybe but for you guys so in love with him based on his stats there are 20 B1 clubs just down the street from him and I don't see any of them clamoring for his services. He's been there plenty long enough to show what he can do and apparently they dont think it translates to the next division. Maybe he's a sub for us but I am not sold.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg does

RalleeMonkey and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  25. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps but we have not seen a game yet under Gregg that really mattered and when all these young guys were available. And even then depending on whom we were playing I might take Roldan over Green. All depends on whether I thought we needed more attack or more defense. But given availability, neither make my 23.