Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it’s time for Chandler to stake his case.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. Woodland76th

Woodland76th Member

Dortmund Borussia
    United States
    Aug 8, 2018
    Wish I spoke Dutch, German, French and a few others... :D

Would actually follow some of those accounts!

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Maybe we could just play without a RB if we’re going to consider calling Chandler up again.

majspike and Excellency repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Well, there was the draw at Azteca, the Belgium match, the Copa match against Costa Rica, and Concacaf Cup match.

5. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    The Portugal match, the fact that Yedlin was one of 3 guys that actually showed effort and heart in Trinidad...

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, how can people hate players who so rarely play? Yedlin's had the starting RB spot for a long time, but I don't think we've ever really gotten much out of that spot. I'd be comfortable with Chandler there.

But if you want more domestic flavors, Nick Lima, Reggie Cannon, or Tyler Adams.

RB's not a spot that we have little depth. It's LB that's in dire straits. And striker. But in defense, LB...

Zinkoff and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better question is how are people still proposing we call Chandler up let alone start him in lieu of Dre when Tim has sucked overall for the US for years when he has actually played which he basically admitted recently was for prioritizing club play which he tried to influence teammates to do as well.

I agree we do have solid alternatives, so that's both why I'm extra befuddled about the continuing fascination with Chandler and wouldn't be overly concerned with the performance of the team would suffer without Yedlin.

I was a little more intrigued with Adams in that spot already. He gives the ball away in the middle of the park too match and sometimes can't match up physically 1 v. 1 when required. But this would be a way to still use his positive traits like his range, tactical nous, ball skills, and assertiveness. Then there's Lima, whose shot is overdue. Reggie Cannon when he's available. Lichaj is still relevant. Rosenberry has had a bounceback season. Lennon has had a pretty smooth transition.

There's options galore so we don't need to get desperate and retry repeated failed experiments.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Looks like the mystery striker, Frantzdy Pierrot, went 90 in REM's 0-1 loss to Antwerp.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Stake his case for what? Taking time away from the guy who will represent us in Qatar? Doesn't make any sense.

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’ll be 32. That’s old but not too old for a really good defender. Now, if that’s a new player who’s not able to be a difference maker then there’s a point to not include him. But, he brings with him a ton of experience and pedigree that I’d like to see if the right coach can get the most of his talent.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until someone else stakes the claim in the midfield, McKennie-Adams is our center mid combo. Putting Adams at right back is a waste at this point.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    McKennie's and Adams' play in the middle third is very sketchy in transition. Adams makes far too many mistakes which will be punished severely by a team like Brazil. Wes will likely be in Germay for the September window.

thedukeofsoccer and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Chandler defends? Cudda fooled me.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  14. Woodland76th

Woodland76th Member

Dortmund Borussia
    United States
    Aug 8, 2018
    So McKennie will end up being a true CM?

What's our best option at CDM? Adams is too small for me and not aggressive enough.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Adams reads the development of player movement and plays very poorly. If its a straight forward play, he will do well. If he has to sense where an opposition player is or he has to read what decision another player will make, he struggles. I'm starting to think he might just have a bad soccer IQ. That shouldn't disqualify him from playing for the NT, but there are less reads he has to make as a RB.

What do you think?

gunnerfan7 and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Good news here for a kid that's most assuredly on the USMNT radar:

17. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah to start in the season opener.

18. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been named in the 18, but not guaranteed to start. They should have starting 11s posted about 2 eastern, an hour before kickoff. I imagine you will be correct though because he is one of only 3 forwards named and PSG play 3 up top, so they would have to change their formation if he doesn't start.

frankburgers and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Yank starters in the 2. Bundesliga today -- late '95 Marcel Costly and late '98 Kevin Lankford. Transfermarkt says both of them played left wing.

Erik Palmer-Brown was on the bench today for NAC Breda and they lost 5-0, so he ought to get his chance soon.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think he is very set on doing what he wants. That can be good and bad. When I was a kid my family used to tell itself the same story when the occasion arose about a neighborhood girl who cam home from school and her mother asked her what she had learned today and the girl said we learned arithmetic. Oh, very good, said mom, let 's see now how much is 2 + 2? The girl said three and insisted on it for a very long time notwithstanding all kinds of attempts to show that 2 + 2 were 4.The exasperated mother finally said for heaven's sake surely you can see I have two fingers here and two fingers there and then I count them all and I have four fingers. And the little girl said yeah but I want it to be three.

21. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. I think when he's an RB, he can use his athleticism and speed to better effect 1 v. 1, and is tactical naivette is less-exposed there.

I wouldn't say that he has "bad soccer IQ", but he's just not quite comfortable-enough in the center of the park is all. Plenty of players don't have the soccer IQ to play in the center of the park, doesn't mean they can't be smart soccer players at other positions.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are right. I should've stipulated that the threshold for soccer IQ is different for certain positions and roles.

23. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, and the good thing, as is often the case with young, athletic players, is he should be able to improve in that area. Plenty of other guys can have good soccer IQ's, but don't have the athleticism to pull off what they think is the right play.

24. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Weah bags one. On as a sub. Get in

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Almost bagged two. Can't ask for any more from an 18 y/o in his debut for PSG.