Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week, 2015-16 Edition [R: includes results from many matches]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad that's finally sorted... Hope he gets first team minutes

2. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I know little, but looks like Vitesse has a pretty solid CB duo. Georgian International Guram Kashia and Dutchman
    Maikel van der Werff.

Kashia is their Captain and has been with them for 7 years (he's 29) and appears to be one of the better CBs in the league.

van der Werff is 27 and in his 2nd year with Vitesse coming over from Zwolle. He also appears to be pretty solid.

Maybe there's a problem with one of them or one is transferring (nothing I could find).

Hopefully Miazga isn't going as a back up player here.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It seems like they need a 3rd CB. Their 3rd CB has been starting at LB, as it doesn't seem like they think the other LB in the squad is good enough to start. If he doesn't beat out either of those other CB's, maybe he gets 15 or so matches, but I don't think either of those CB's are too good to be beat out.

truefan420 repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every team needs a minimum of 3 to 4 CB's to rotate. If he's their 3rd he will get good minutes.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know much about either but if he gets 15-20 games at CB for them that will be a solid year.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm not stressing too much over MM's minutes this year. He's 21. That's pretty young by U.S. CB standards. There are plenty of 21 year old CB's that ride pine in 2nd tier Euro leagues that end up coming good.

I thought moving to Chelsea at the age of 20 from MLS was a recipe for career derailment. Is Arnheim paying his entire salary? It would be interesting to know how much of Chelsea's motivation was MM's development and how much was just getting him off the payroll for the year.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's development and business but most likely as a route to sell him on in a few years not save on his payroll. He makes an insignificant amount of money compared to the likes of their first team players. And while I don't know for sure I'd be willing to wager they're paying some of his salary and I'm not a gambling man. They have an open pipeline with Vitesse as far as loans go to. Many of Chelsea youth are sent there.

I had some concern with the move at first too from a US standpoint. However, I was always under the impression he'd be loaned out immediately. I'm actually surprised they gave him the time they did last year. Vitesse is a good place for him. Mid table side in a solid league with ambition and have been know to qualify for Europa league a few times in recent history. There will be expectations and playing time will go to those that earn it. Also because of their long standing relationship with Chelsea he will be given a fair chance as a loanee but no guarantee.

Hope he gets there quickly and integrates quickly cause the season underway and it will more difficult that usual to break into the side as a young defender. Vitesse is sitting at 5th through 4 games.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  8. No, because we have financial rules and Vitesse Arnhem has several players on loan that would make the salary budget jeopardize Vitesse's financial classification if they did.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, beat me to the Financial Fairplay Rules and fact that Chelsea has 38 players on loan (as of yesterday).

ussoccer97531 and nycfc919 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They have a pretty good loan squad

Blackman
    Kalas Christiansen Hector Rahman
    Ake Pasalic
    Boga
    Cuadrado Remy Traore

Bench: Delac, Miazga, Wallace, Baker, Musonda, Piazon, Atsu, Kenedy

11. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to be tough. This was a "get him off the books" loan, which I had previously hoped was not Chelsea's plan. Miazga is facing an uphill fight for playing time at Vitesse.

12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Forgive my ignorance - are they paying part of it?

13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    How is this a "get him off the books" loan if Feyenoord guy is saying that Arnheim isn't paying his salary?

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Btw, possibly the 1st regular soccer coverage that was available on whatever cable system I happened to have over the years was ESPN showing 1 Dutch league match per week. My 1st favorite soccer team was the Feyenoord team from that era (95?). The guys are remember were Larsson, Jozsef Kiprich, Regi Blinker (who I wasn't sure if his name was Blinker or Blinka, because of the Brit announcers pronunciation), and Ed de Gooey.

I was already a Larsson fan from the 94 WC (I followed Sweden closely b/c I was a fan of theirs from the 86 WC).

15. Well, not all of it for sure. Players on loan in the Eredivisie are payed for a part of the salary. It depends on the stature of the club ( Ajax is paying more for Traore than Vitesse did) and the experience of the player. The greener (= depending on the development by the receipient club) the cheaper or even free. EPL full pay is something our clubs cannot afford. Manchester City has shifted a few players in the Eredivisie too and to clubs that for sure are incapable of coughing up EPL salaries.

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh, Once they paid his transfer fee he was "on the books" and only a sale of him would get him off. They are getting what they can for him, hopefully in a place that will showcase him for a future sale or earn his way back into their plans.

17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Thanks. Well, it sounds like it was a move made with the intention of polishing up Miazga. He's young. On the "make or break" spectrum, this season could make strides toward making him. But, it can't break him.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing will be handed to him, but beating out a middle of the road Eredivisie CB like Maikel van der Werff seems to be is the sort of thing that a top young CB should be expected to do.

Caveat: the danger with these 11th hour loans is that Chelsea dumped him on a club without doing due diligence - hopefully the manager at Vitesse is on board and interested in Miazga. Loans can get ugly when there is a miscommunication (Jozy @ Xerez, Adu @ Monaco...) I'll hope that since Chelsea and Vitesse have a long-standing relationship, that won't be an issue here.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, Matt Doyle seems headed my way.http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...t-usmnt-cruise-past-st-vg-and-thats-just-fine

To that end, Wood's lack of vision around the area continues to underwhelm. This has to be a pullback:

The inability to see passes like that and execute them at a high level is also why Wood doesn't work as a winger in the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    This seems more like the selfishness of a striker(as I'd expect) rather than not seeing a pass.

COMtnGuy and 6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It's really hard to not dislike Doyle.

Why is he talking about how he doesn't work at a position he didn't play? The shot was poor and maybe had better options, but not clear a pullback was one of them. How was he supposed to see Altidore through the defender and Acosta to know he was pulling up his run and then get the ball through that defender?

So Wood scores a wonderfully placed goal, draws a PK that Jozy converts, and causes all kinds of problems for the defenders and he shows this silly video and the one of him mishitting the ball?

Ninety seconds later Bobby Wood got the game's first goal and the US took a lead they wouldn't relinquish en route to a 6-0 win over the Vincy Heat and almost certain qualification to the Hexagonal.

The US stayed in a 4-4-2 and both Wood and Altidore scored. This is good, obviously, but there needs to be much more data before anybody should be comfortable with this pairing.

Nonsense about Woods vision

Trying to get these two guys onto the field together was the correct move from Jurgen Klinsmann, and I hope we continue to see it. But I do suspect one of them will have to be sacrificed against better opposition or the 4-4-2 will be a 4-4-HUGEGAP-2, since "go win some second balls at the top of the box" is not a viable strategy against the better teams in the region.

Acosta was fine, and Johnson had the first assist as well as the best pass of the day on a chance Wood should have buried:

The great thing about Wood is he has a short memory -- biffing chances like that don't seem to bother him. It's a great trait for a striker to have.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle does have a strange agenda that seeps into his columns, but I do agree that Wood hasn't shown much in terms of field vision. Jozy is the best passer out of the CFs in the rotation.

23. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree.. I've seen world class strikers pull the same shit!! From Villa to Ronaldo, you name it. Strikers have to be a lil bit selfish or else they wouldn't be much of a goalscorer. I'm not too phased at Wood for doing that.. In a tighter game against quality opposition? Now that would be a different story

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Do many young strikers? Your comment about Jozy is what makes Doyle's about the combo so odd. It's like he has no idea what kind of player Altidore is... He doesn't fit a traditional label and he definitely isn't a #9.

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle would never post such a ridiculous off topic clip about an MLSer under contract.

His agenda has been clear for awhile. If you're in MLS, he'll ignore any criticism, if you're based abroad, he'll go in on you.

deejay, DHC1 and truefan420 repped this.