Yanks abroad 2023-2024 thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 3, 2023.

1. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Man, I love every BBQ style. There's not one I haven't loved if done well. I guess that's one of the benefits to being raised outside of strict stylistic zones :).

2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Sonogo had 20 goal contributions last year at the U19 level for Union Berlin. 20 goal contributions in 1400 minutes aint bad at all. He didn't move the needle a ton for the US U20 squad, didnt seem to translate, I didn't think he was bad, just couldn't really tell. He's since moved to Nuremberg II. I don't know whats going on.

I don't think there was a screw up there from what I can tell, I think by the time we could open a door and recognized the talent he wanted senior minutes and I'm not sure if he was obvious in '21? Was he? Just looked. Nope. Certainly not in counting stats.

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t mind it as long as the commitment is there when they show up to play.

I think one of the things about being a dual national is that you can very much feel like you are both of those nationalities. And in a situation like that sometimes it is about who gives you the best opportunity. Especially since whatever decision you do make it’s not like you are giving up the other nationality.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do too even though I was raised in two of them. I do like some more than others though.

I don't know about EPB's upbringing but there are some very poor neighborhoods in the KC area. Don't forget he was also rumored to Juve for $1 million that didn't happen then loaned to Benfica? who didn't purchase him. By the time the third chance came I totally understand putting the money first.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I get it.
    But late in the cycle you've been working with kids that just won you the CONCACAF U20 Championships. So are you replacing guys like Edelman, Vargas, etc. with Buck? You can. But it is a team on the field, not just on paper. Edelman was the frickin' captain of the team.

In the case of Luca, he's a forward/winger. Koleosho hadn't even scored yet for Espanyol II in the Spanish 4th tier until pretty late in this cycle. That happened in October of 2022 against Mallorca B.

When we really think about it, we were in contact with Koleosho (with Varas, USSF leadership, and USMNT leadership)..................before he'd done much of anything.

So really, all is fine here. I think we're all on the same page. We just like talking about it. :)

6. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dante Polvara scores against Aaronson the Younger in sizzling Europa Conference League action.

RunthePoint, nobody and Winoman repped this.
  7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LASK up 1-0 on Liverpool early in their Europa fixture. George Bello who hardly played last season for demoted 2BL squad Biefeld is on the bench for LASK.

Winoman repped this.
  8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s less of a dual national thing but particularly at the youth levels sometimes the guys who helped you qualify aren’t necessarily the guys who are going to help you have the best tournament. As your constantly going to have guys emerging at the youth levels.

This U20 tournament was also unique because you had more MLS teams teams then usual denying releases and because the European season ran later because of the mid season World Cup, you had more European teams denying releases. So we were bound to have more turnover then typical as a result.

I don’t think it will ultimately matter in terms of Buck, Cremaschi, or Koleosho as I think all three will ultimately pick the US. It’s more I think all three could have very much helped the team at the U20 World Cup itself.

9. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Djordje can't get a start against the 10th place team in the Bosnian league :(

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  10. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    What's hilarious is despite loving all the regions stuff, what I make myself most consistently is Korean BBQ Kalbi. Became completely addicted to it as a teenager in the early nineties and have chowed down on it for decades ever since. Interesting kind of marinade.

Yowza repped this.
  11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    If you define BBQ as "slow cooked meat over flame and not in some kind of liquid" there's a whole lot of different cultural traditions that start to fall into it that are awesome.

12. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark McKenzie scores the equalizer against Fiorentina

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know what I was posting here so wiping it all out.

15. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we are bbq opposites. born/early years in nc, spent most of my life in memphis- simply dont like bbq. people in the places ive lived are not fans of hearing that.

RunthePoint and Winoman repped this.
  16. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The national team is not about individuals or even about current iterations. Its about all of us...everyone who played or participated at any level of the sport in the US.

When a player puts on the jersey he reps us all.

Reccossu repped this.
  17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Nurnberg II is so low in German soccer pyramid that there is no equivalent of that here.

18. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Great food is great food. Every region has their specialty.

Winoman repped this.
  19. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mihailovic and AZ, after having lead 3-0 at the half, went on to lose 4-3 to Croatia's Zrinjski. Mihailovic didn't play.

21. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see recognition that Green is playing perhaps the best soccer of his career.

But Green glued everything together -- among regulars, he was third on the team in goals and expected goals (xG) per 90 minutes, he was fourth in chances created per 90, and he was second in pass completion rate into the attacking third.

Furth's time in the Bundesliga was short and frustrating, but two years on, Green is playing better than he did when Furth got promoted.

RalleeMonkey and Winoman repped this.
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    EPB was dnp'd in Panathinaikos's 2-0 win over Villarreal.

Paxten Aaronson(LF in 343) got the start in Frankfurt's 2-1 win over Dante Polvara(RM in 442) and Aberdeen.

Aaronson was subbed out at the half. Though he took up dangerous positions in the attack, he struggled to hold on to passes. And he was caught and stripped of the ball on a couple of occasions. His touch was not good enough, and he was physically not strong enough. He's not a fast guy so needs to be more aware in possession.

23 y/o Hoya, Polvara, had a nice goal for Aberdeen.

23. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    #2123 grandinquisitor28, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    What do you love?

For me, love practically everything, but I have this weird thing where I have cuisines that I can eat anytime, anywhere, always, and cuisines I have a hankering for, but once sated, I don't typically feel like for a month, which is one of the reasons I loved growing up in the bay (tons of variety, never have to indulge the same cuisines habitually):

Anytime, anywhere:
    Thai
    Japanese
    French
    Vietnamese
    Californian (Modernized version)

Semi-Regularly:
    Italian
    BBQ
    Argentine/Chilean
    Seafood
    Korean

Once a Month, sometimes a little bit more:
    Mexican
    Indian
    Middle Eastern
    Eastern European/German

Trying to think of other styles.

But that's funny, growing up with BBQ, but hating it. The only thing semi-connected to me that I didn't have as strong as affinity for, as typical, would probably be Mexican, but that's probably at least partly because it's more in SoCal that you get consistently good, authentic Mexican, in the eighties and early nineties in Northern California, you could get solid Mexican, but regional specialties only really started arriving when I was older. If you get really authentic, very regional based Mexican, I can have it more often, but the standard fare typical I grew up with I'd get tired of after having more than once or twice in a month.

24. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I heard Paxten was faster than Pulisic. This surprises me.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pulisic's top speed from last season was the same as Aaronson's from this season. Neither player is fast. Perhaps Pulisic eventually will recover his pre-injury pace.. Perhaps not. He's had quite a number of injuries.