Yanks abroad 2023-2024 thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 3, 2023.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well forest just signed another keeper so that’s fun. Collecting keepers like infinity stones over there

And stop me if you’ve heard this one before but Forest need to get 20 million profit in 2-3 weeks to stay in ffp compliance

Surely Turner being told to leave now

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though Turner is not going to get them the money they need to come into compliance.

I think there’s a good chance 2 of Turner, Vlachodimos, and Sels move on, but I’m not sure which two.

TrueCrew repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ..................and Horvath. Surely they're not retaining Horvath either.

Forest just seems to be so scattershot from a strategic perspective.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    horvath to cardiff wasn’t permanent? Thought it was

gomichigan24 repped this.
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh not even close. Curious which players they hsve in mind to put on the block before zero hour

7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly they had this issue last year too and made the sale they needed, but it was after the June 30th deadline so they got the points deduction anyways.

Gibbs White seems like the one to me they’d have to move to hit that number and who they could probably move fairly quickly if they needed.

8. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardon my ignorance...but could he have also claimed an Irish? Scottish/UK? passport? Not sure if his full name is more Irish or Scottish.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that feels like a guy west ham would poach with a quickness

gomichigan24 repped this.
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was younger (a wee lad) Irish was always O' like O'Brien and Scottish was always Mc Like McDonald. That's seems to not be the case anymore or so many moved back and forth it's just a big mix.

11. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is there an mls side with enough money to bring in turner?

whether or not he wants to stay abroad, and any interest in him aside i think its safe to say mls would value him higher than than anywhere else. and while there are a ton of ways to "overpay" and keep players here im not sure how possible buying someone back would be outside of those league mechanisms. weve seen plenty of guys come back, but not quite at his "value" (since the bradley, altidore days but hes not that level either).

i dont want to derail anything- and definitely dont want to get bogged down in tam, gam, discovery claim nonsense- but how likely/possible is it the galaxy or san diego can scrape together $10 mil (and a salary) for him?

12. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would certainly be a senior DP...maybe Toronto?

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they just resigned Johnson. San Diego would be a good shout but they’re rumored to be posting hard for memo Ochoa

14. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC also makes sense fit wise but they would have to spend.

superdave and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    You’re more into the FFP implications of the Villa, Juve swap deal?

Basically any sort of sizeable transfer fee makes a player a DP, unless they sign a long contract and aren’t making 7 figures. Turner’s current deal runs until 2027. He’s reportedly making a share under $2.6m/year. Even if Turner left on a free he’d have to take a $900k pay cut to not be a DP.

My modern moneyball theory friend thinks this is how an expansion team should build their roster:

Turner is probably going to be available on loan at some point if he doesn’t win back his job. Without things going majorly south I would not expect a move to MLS until the end of the 25/26 season at the earliest.

TrueCrew, Pegasus, ChrisSSBB and 3 others repped this.
  16. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    Was curious what the market would be for him on loan in literally any other league than the top league in the world? Like a low-mid table Bund, Serie A, Ligue 1, even an Eredivisie team something of the sorts. Austria’s #1 keeper plays at Brondby IIRC earlier.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    What isn't exactly relevant as Aaronson is paid his PL salary at Leeds.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    If you want to pay $20-25M then yes. He still might not agree.

19. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume when you ask this question you're asking about an opportunity to start (or at least compete for a starting job)? And if that's the case I just can't imagine there would be interest in Turner at the type of clubs/leagues you mention. I think while folks around here know he had a bad season they don't quite appreciate just how bad it was. He was a very poor shot stopper (23 of 25 in the PL in PSxG-GA/90 with a qualifying number of appearances) AND he was extremely error prone (25 of 25 in errors leading to shots on goal/goals per 90). I looked back at the last 5 or so PL seasons and I don't think any keeper over that period (with a qualifying number of appearances) had a worse season than Turner did with Forest. It would be one thing if he had some history in Europe looking competent in a different league before moving to the PL, but of course he does not and I have a hard time imagining clubs in the leagues you mention in your post would take a chance on him.

20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    That's an interesting build given that pretty much every good team in the league has a strong TAM/GAM CDM and a DP playmaker.

Spending DP money on a keeper is not very moneyball when there's a ton of good keepers you don't need to pay that much.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Turner is outstanding in the Copa and/or World Cup some GM may think he's worth close to $3M. But the player would obviously prefer to play in a top 4 league or UCL qualifier.

22. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    Tbh when I asked that question, I didn’t have a specific league or team in mind, mainly the thought of “being last in the PL”, though I thought he was good in his cup game opportunities for Arsenal, and has never struggled the way he did this year, I digress, would IMO translate to another league that maybe isn’t the “best in the world”. I did give an example of the Austria GK yesterday being at Brondby, so even a 2nd tier league such as that. Like in my mind “worst in the PL”, would translate okay to a top Danish team, or be a solid feat in the Belgium League, or be a good #1 in the Austrian/Portuguese/etc. You’re making it kind of seem like he’s old goods now, after he just showed us what we’ve all come accustom to this last game vs Brazil and the “bad performances” being more outliers in my experience with him, and I don’t understand how someone who I believe is better than those numbers you’re showing and the starting USMNT GK wouldn’t be able to find a starting opportunity other places in Europe over say “coming back to the MLS”.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he went to a top 3 or 4 team in a second tier league, or even just below that, he'd get to play in UEFA competitions. Basically any top flight UEFA league that can afford him.

SoccerFanInIA repped this.
  24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe anything is done yet with a new Forest keeper. But looks like something will happen soon.

25. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    IDC if it’s the top team in Turkey (though wouldn’t be my personal choice), but yeah anywhere that can pay him and give him first choice minutes. He is a good keeper, so saying he wouldn’t be able to play or have any interest elsewhere is odd.