Yanks abroad 2023-2024 thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent Leeds rumors.

tomásbernal repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham plz of those interested

gomichigan24 repped this.
  3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Brooks was below average the entire season. That’s still useful enough for a mid-table team, but long term, at this point in the age curve, they probably want to look for other options unless the guy is a locker room culture builder...

Brooks is going to be on a free and was reportedly making $1.6m. That’s very attractive for an MLS team because it wouldn’t require a DP spot (and I think would result in a raise because of lower taxes).

That was my polite way of saying his value has tanked. The team that has him as a starter on a pure loan, that has seen the recent uptick in form probably rates him more highly than the rest of the market.

Brenden’s underlying numbers both early in the EPL and the CL are not strong. Stealing the ball off a GK and scoring from point blank is not especially replicable or indicative of the ability to provide consistent attacking danger. He’s like the 3rd or 4th attacker on a lower table, relegation fighter level guy for those who can afford what Leeds want.

If I was Monaco’s owner and my TD said, “Let’s sign Brenden Aaronson for €15m.” I’d tell him, “Good luck in your new job in San Diego.” That’s still less than half what Leeds overpaid for him.

ChrisSSBB and gomichigan24 repped this.
  4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    #7154 Bob Morocco, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
    Johnny missed on a challenge at the edge of the defensive third and, right after, committed the foul that led to Sociedad’s first goal. Couple good moments but overall was meh and Betis lost.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celta and LDLT assured survival

Johnny and betis assured Europa conference

FTGOTC repped this.
  6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The link is fine but Goal.com does something which makes a lot of browsers screwup. I have to use "Open in incognito window" to get anything from Goal.com to work correctly in Chrome.

Whatever browser you are using may have similar problems and therefore need a similar "fix." Give it a try.

tomásbernal repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #7157 falvo, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
    Torino-Milan, le pagelle di CM: Tomori da horror, Pulisic è l' ...

[​IMG]

Torino Milan 3-1, le pagelle della partita di Serie A

[​IMG]

• PULISIC: voto 6
    [​IMG]

• MUSAH: voto 5.5

Namdynamo repped this.
  8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really see the value to a MLS team or Brooks.

He's not a household name. LAFC and Atlanta didn't exist when he was last a lock NT starter. He's a risk both in terms of declining form and injuries and you're not going to be able to flip him and make a profit.

He's more in the Alfredo Morales/Yedlin $750k-$850k range than the Matt Miazga $1.5M area.

And unless Brooks really wants to try living in the US I don't see the benefit to him.

tomásbernal repped this.
  9. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Wow, I don’t agree with how you are rating him as a player. Like Miazga isn’t getting close to max TAM because of USMNT exposure or marketing, and I don’t think resale value is a real consideration. He’s a guy who was good in smaller European leagues and could somewhat hang at a higher level. Brooks succeeded at that higher level. He just had a season better than any of Miazga’s.

Maybe an issue is fit. Like he would probably fit best at Cincy, but they already have 2 CBs on $1.5m. He probably works best for a team that looks to control the ball or sits back.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know his value's fallen way off, but other teams have far more in their coffers than Union. It's all relative. If they'd offer 7m, someone else would offer 12. So if Leeds were insistent on selling, in all likelihood it wouldn't be to Union.

A team really should parse the first few months of last season/last few months of this one, from the part in-between. Because that's the outlier. He was in a funk post WC, for about a yr after. Surrounding he's played far better, for Philly, Salzburg, USMNT, & his top 4 league clubs. Top 10 in chances created in the EPL the first few months of his season there is an underlying stat.

He's also been playing for relegation-battlers. That's naturally not conducive to putting up major stats. Unless he develops better instincts & confidence, he's not going to be helpful as a scorer everywhere. But he's a proven creator to a degree.

And a lot of his value now is in his d & ball progression for his teams. Especially now that he's more physical, it's hard to get the ball off him. Also, his movement has improved to get on the ball more. He can play CM now where he doesn't have to put up big stats.

If he has to sustain for a whole season again for Leeds to not take a serious haircut, then I guess they'd have to send him on loan for another yr, or have him rebuild his value w/ them. The EPL is where he could go for 10m (or whatever) to back to 30's w/ 1 good season.

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The concern with Brooks in MLS would largely be health and effort. I'm not saying that particular to Brooks; but it's not a league for aging players who do not stay at the top of their fitness levels. Lots of plane flights, lots of running.

Otherwise, he'd be an asset for a team that wouldn't require him to play defensively in space. He's a strong passer out of the back, and while aerial play is not the main focus of most MLS teams -- MLS has a lot of short attackers as you can get value there -- there are still guys like Benteke and 2-3 set pieces goals a year are also valuable. Sure, there's teams you would not want him on, but if he wants to work to stay fit and in shape, then he's more than good enough.

On Brooks' end, the bigger question is simply not a lot of MLS teams want to pay CBs very much, and for good reason. So what would Brooks sign for, and how many teams does that exclude?

ChrisSSBB and gomichigan24 repped this.
  12. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Probably crap, but a report that says Leeds might sign Sargent.

tomásbernal repped this.
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup no secret their manager is infatuated with him

14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    What I’m saying is that Union likely have the highest willingness to pay (at a level well below what Leeds would want) and the teams that have more money want Brendo less than them. Are they really going to go, “Hey, you know that player we rate lowly, Union are offering more for him than we rate him at, should we out bid them?”

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say they rate him lowly, even though Union have developed an affinity. Other teams could watch him arguably be their best player the last couple months, aid their survival, and think they could use that, especially in conjunction w/ the form that got him sold for 33m Euros, then be top 10 in chances created in the EPL the first few months.

You're projecting your criteria.

Here's another underlying stat: +.53 on/off GD. That's in spite of the terrible carry-over start. Down the stretch they were winning all the minutes with him on the field, and falling apart with him off. F.O.'s & managers of teams in all sports look at if you indicate you impact winning, regardless of individual volume or efficiency stats. Because those still don't capture a lot.

tomásbernal repped this.
  16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    What Leeds would want is irrelevant. It's what Leeds would take. They can't demand a huge amount of cash and definitively want him gone, as the tweet said.

17. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    While Sheffied United did manage to avoid compiling the worst point total in Premier League history (their 16 points only puts them at 3rd worst), they did unfortunately finish tied for the worst goal differential in Premier League history. They share that honor with Eddie Lewis and Benny Feilhaber's 2007-08 Derby County side at -69 GD. (That Derby side also still has sole ownership of the worst record in Premier League history with 11 points.)

18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So.... the LA Galaxy then? Maybe Minnesota United?

gomichigan24 and gogorath repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    My post was sarcarsm directed at the needy and petty criticism of Brooks.

20. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    American PRIDE!

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The Galaxy make sense. Maybe Austin? NYCFC.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Strong numbers from Zendejas(RAM in 4231) in America's 1-0 aggregate win playoff win. Perhaps he could've found a niche at left back had he tried his luck in the Top-4.

30/37 passing
    2 key passes
    3/4 long balls
    11/14 duels !
    0/4 fouls/fouled

Fotmob(8.0)2nd

Winoman and edcrocker repped this.
  23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must have missed that post.

Bob Morocco repped this.
  24. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Sargent is one of our most Prem-style players. Now that he has made it through the crash derby that is the Championship, he may be ready to contend somewhere like Leeds.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Cade Cowell came on at the half of this America-Chivas game.

It wouldn't shock me if Zendejas is at this pre-Copa camp announced today.
    At the moment I'd consider him an alternate. So he's perhaps an injury away to being in the group.