Yanks abroad 2023-2024 thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BOOOO!!

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  2. Klay Thompson

Klay Thompson Member

Burnley FC, Barcelona, Lazio, PSV Eindhoven, Pumas UNAM, Atlanta United
    Apr 8, 2024
    agreed, but I think inter Milan is starting their own decade dynasty

3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Have heard that only MLS is offering more to Wes than he’s currently getting at Juve.

gomichigan24, deejay and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realllly hoping he stays

5. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wes seems like a free spirit who will follow his heart. Of course, I know next to nothing about his personal life.

FTGOTC repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who from?

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He should sign with LAFC and play in front of 90,000 in Rose Bowl on July 4.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking like the pulisic musuh Milan Europa run is dead they’re down 2-0, 3-0 aggregate

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Forza Roma!

Daniele DeRossi has done a great job since taking over the special one!

pagelle del derby di Europa League

Roma-Milan, le pagelle del derby di Europa League · dal 29' ABRAHAM voto 6,5 · dal 43' LLORENTE voto 6,5 · dall'82' RENATO SANCHES S.V. · dall'82' ...

• MUSAH voto 6
    • PULISIC voto 5

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pulisic is very sensitive to being out of form from too many minutes. When he isn't 100% he drops to "ineffective". he needs to recharge his batteries.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly has in the past but this year it hasn't seemed to affect him as much but maybe the overall minutes added to minutes game to game is taking it's toll. He's not used to so many minutes.

12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so strange to see Pulisic send in corners that are at least served into dangerous spots for Milan. When he's with the US, he tends to routinely over-hit or under-hit his corner kicks more noticeably. I honestly do not know what is the cause for the difference.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have some ideas. Grass on a tray maybe lot different than regular grass. I remember watching Beckham on artificial MLS fields look bad. Turf is worse but I don't know if players get reps (or enough reps) to adjust. Pulisic has also looked poor on some regular MLS fields also though so maybe he's only good at home stadiums where he's very familiar with the surface.

RunthePoint repped this.
  14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I actually think Pulisic's service for the US has improved vastly over the last two years. He's still not as good as Reyna, but I think people overstate his issues these days. Last window or the window before, I thought he was actually really good.

porkrind, gomichigan24 and RunthePoint repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is possible that the blame is more on those in the box. I did see some bad headers that could have been easy goals. I think someone needs to call out or challenge McKennie. He's been MIA on headers in the box this year for club and country.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    On Futbol Americas, Herc Gomez stated there were B1 offers for McKennie.

RunthePoint, Winoman and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  17. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Like Clint Dempsey, and peak Clint Mathis before him.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Wes came on at RWB.

19. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Will be interesting to see, they are the only team to win twice in the past year, but I do think it's telling that it's gone like this:
    '19-'20: Juventus
    '20-'21: Inter
    '21-'22: Milan
    '22-'23: Napoli
    '23-'24: Inter

That reads more to me like a league that's inherently unstable due to $$$, covid, and the inherent competitiveness at the top with Inter, Milan, and Juve the powers of the last few decades, with Napoli, Atalanta, Fiorentina, and Roma as a second tier. Even though Juve dominated it for the previous decade, historically it just seems more competitive than the other big 5 leagues, especially at depth. There's like a legit 7 or so teams that could grab first or second seemingly any given year, whereas the EPL always seemed about Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool, with Manchester City and Tottenham becoming regulars over the last 10-15 years. Ligue 1 has been about PSG for a decade, but before that, clubs like Lyon, Marseille, and Monaco might challenge, but its really been pretty consistently PSG. Germany seems like Bayern Munich, with Dortmund, RBL, and Bayer Leverkeusen chugging along behind them. Spain seems to have its big 2 with a rotating group of 2-4 teams, but Italy really has a giant pile of teams in comparison to me.

It will be interesting to see if Inter has built something sustainable, seems like $$$ issues plague the big teams and force them to repeatedly sell off guys so nobody can hold the title too long, post covid shut down....but maybe Inter can. I haven't seen a sign that Juve or Milan are up to it this year, Milan just has something missing (consistency I guess lol), Juve just isn't what it was, and Napoli sold a ton of guys, so that seems like a one off, while Fiorentina and Atalanta just don't seem capable of it.
    '

Klay Thompson and Pegasus repped this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    I bet McKennie stays at Juventus.

gomichigan24 and tomásbernal repped this.
  21. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pulisic passes the 2000 minute mark for only the second time in his career and his problem is being "overworked" :ROFLMAO::laugh:

is there anything bs wont complain about?

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope so but when I read Italian websites, newspapers and listening to their sports radio, it’s sounding not likely.

SamsArmySam repped this.
  23. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I think they're just too far apart in money, and when you combine that with the fact that they're unlikely to do anything in Serie A in '24-'25, nor compete very well in Europe, why spend that money on him? Might as well sell him on if you can't afford him. Good news for them is he recouped the value lost from the Leeds misadventure according to transfermarkt, dipped down from 25 mill to 18 at its low point last May, now back to 25 again. Should be able to sell for 20+ this summer, contract is up summer of '25, so their best chance to make money is now.

24. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Grazie for the report, falvo.

RunthePoint repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can see why Serie A is more competitive just by looking at the payrolls.

Ligue Un
    1. PSG $315M
    2. Marseille $79M
    3. Monaco $62M

La Liga
    1. Real Madrid $313M
    2. Barcelona $231M
    3. Atletico $160M
    4. Sevilla $77M

Bundesliga
    1. Bayern $295M
    2. Dortmund $131M