Yanks abroad 2023-2024 thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 3, 2023.

1. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they certainly don't need to in order to get out of League 1. If they were triple their wage bill, they'd have a wage bill similar to that of Championship clubs like QPR/Watford/Birmingham/Ipswich. Hell, Wrexham's wage bill in the National League last year was higher than that of the League 1 champs, Plymouth Argyle.

2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think this is true. Their wage bill last year would have been near the top for League Two but not League One.

3. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrueCrew and gomichigan24 repped this.
  4. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would unironically watch a show about Ted Lasso's evil cousin

acima, Bajoro and Kirium repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6505 falvo, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    Bajoro and Winoman repped this.
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want one where like, Graeme Souness or Roy Keane comes in to coach an SEC team. Basically a well known pipe hitter taking on the Waterboy's program.

porkrind repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OT: Chelsea players basically brawling to take a penalty despite being up 4-0. SOOO happy Pulisic is away from that embarrassment of a club.

Three and Three repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

RunthePoint, FTGOTC, TrueCrew and 2 others repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    With the old subsidy for foreign players having been rescinded, "same salary" likely means reduced net pay.

I know that in the old days the salary cited for players in Italy was "net of taxes". Do you know if that has changed for the future? People here are often comparing salaries and not realizing some are gross while others are net.

Bajoro and Winoman repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally hope they agree to terms it’s a good spot for him.

Herc Gomez says that it’s oooking quite likely Dest move is made permanent as Dest is coming around the idea too. Sounds like he really was set in Barcelona return until recently. Earnie Stewart must be spitting that game

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is the part where we wonder “…… what exactly will Leeds United offer again?”

13. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    He definitely seems fantastic there, the only thing I remember from the U20's is him getting the way of a goal bound shot in a quarterfinal loss to Uruguay (was it with his face? I can't find highlights nor remember).

14. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    yeah, saw that quote the other day about offers outside of Europe, and I was purely wtf?!?! Pray he doesn't take any of those. Stay in Europe please.

15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I doubt Weston's leaving for MLS or Saudi Arabia. I have no doubt there's an offer from MLS, or several. There might even be one from a Saudi team.

But he's not quite at bank age, and he's made a decent amount, and he's going to get an offer somewhere in a Top 5 league. If he just wants money, he can go to the EPL and do pretty damn close.

Weston's always going to be on this sort of edge because of the type of player he is. And frankly if he came to MLS, there's a good chance people would think he's overrated because he's not an offensive centerpiece. He doesn't fit traditional, required roles.

He's just a really, really good chaos merchant and big game player which is why he's constantly getting benched or questioned and constantly winning back jobs. If you plan a team on paper, Weston often does have a spot ... just look at a decent number of proposed USMNT midfields over the past few years.

But that doesn't take into account his general awesomeness. But that needs to be on a team that has the basics covered to really come out. In that way, he's kind of a luxury player -- not because he doesn't defend, but because he doesn't fit a traditional midfield role so you need another midfielder to cover multiple roles.

(Which is also why Weston+Reyna makes so much sense as dual 8s or 8/10.)

16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weston would be a terror in MLS. Not sure which big clubs would be able to fully utilize his skillset. No doubt some EPL clubs could use him, same with some Bundesliga clubs. Clubs in the European places? Not sure. Juve is probably the best place for him footballing wise.

They'd never be able to afford him, but man would he be perfect in one of the outside mid spots in Philly's 4-4-2 diamond. He'd be an absolute menace.

Bajoro, tomásbernal, JUnionFan and 2 others repped this.
  17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He'd be a menace but he'd be paid like a 30 G+A guy and his goal production would be nowhere near.

Put him on a team like Columbus, he'd absolutely destroy -- a great striker to play with and someone like Nagbe to handle his weaknesses? But put him on a bad team and expect him to be a savior and he's going to struggle. He's a core guy, a great guy, but not an offensive hub.

Bajoro and gomichigan24 repped this.
  18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will go to Toronto and you will will love it lol .

Crossed all four fingers and toes on that post

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6522 falvo, Apr 16, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    Weston may get lost in MLS and his skill won’t be utilized to its fullest.

He’s an great athlete but midfielders are wasted in that league.

Gk’s , Defender and Forwards will do well but not sure about these box to box mids.

If he does go to MLS though, I’m betting he will be offered a huge (Michael Bradley like) DP contract so that may be good for him.

That is if he wants to go to MLS…

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, Weston back to FCD and Pareja too. And Tessmann, Reynolds, Richards. Pepi can stay - for now to give the big money guy a shot with a real midfield and a right back that can cross the ball. Oh yeah if they stay with three in the back Cannon too.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His agent is making up rumors to put pressure on Juve.

I'm sure any MLS or Saudi club that can afford him would have him. I just don't see out happening.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s just attempts to create leverage at this point.

FWIW I don’t see Bradley type deals happening in MLS now for someone like Wes. There are more options on the market.

Three and Three repped this.