Yanks abroad 2023-2024 thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 3, 2023.

1. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Where were you when I was manning the barricades for Haji 2020-2022 lol? I particularly needed help when it came to Gogo's cogent counterpoints and analysis to discredit my sometimes flimsy reasoning lol.

I'm very happy for Haji, he's kicking butt, but the reason people are slow to excite for him is pretty simple: they don't buy it, at all, especially as a system fit for the US. But 50+ goals since 2020 are 50+ goals since 2020, and not in bunk leagues or against nothing but crap sides.

Otoh, Sargent's goal today? That's a goal you get when you are ridiculously confident and lethal in the box, something I haven't seen from Sargent consistently since 2017-2018. At this point he seems back, like all the way back, the heater started August '22, and at this point there's little denying it. He's past 20 goals in like his last 33 or 34 starts at striker, and goals like today are 1000% about "want to" and "belief" mixed with Luck. He's gotta be called up this month and in June if he's healthy.

Wright? Not sure. He doesn't really fit Berhalter's approach.

LuckofLichaj2, Pegasus and Yowza repped this.
  2. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Paredes heavily involved in a really well-worked goal. Continues his impressive run of form.

Namdynamo, RalleeMonkey and Yowza repped this.
  3. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Now Paredes makes a bad defensive mistake but is bailed out by offside.

Yowza repped this.
  4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haji is having a good season for sure but you can compare the absolute numbers between him and Sargent given how many games Sargent has missed. That’s not quite an apples to apples comparison.

kruck repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an effective offside trap by Paredes. Then as a bonus he still got in position to clear the ball. Just missed it. But that doesn't constitute a defensive mistake. You can't bail yourself out.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  6. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the sake of the USMNT, we better hope someone can challenge Turner as the starter. One of the presumptive list of Copa America keepers (Turner, Horvath? Steffen? Slonina?) needs to round into form as we get closer to the Copa.

7. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Sounds like he was accumulating focus.

8. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Horvath is so talented. It would be nice to see him begin asserting himself.

LuckofLichaj2, Excellency and ifsteve repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slonina had a good game against Antwerp. 7.74 on WhoScored #2

10. Kirium

Kirium Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK

Haji is playing as a right winger for club isn't he? Would be interesting seeing him there for the US

majspike repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    left

12. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    He was locked in prior to the injury.

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, if Norwich want to keep Sargent, they're going to have to get promoted via the playoffs to have any shot, because he is now a very known quantity in England. He will not be a Championship player next year.

14. Kirium

Kirium Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    Ah ok. Maybe I was just being hopeful :)

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    b.t.w., Kovac moved him to right wing after that and the same guy for Stuttgart beat Wolfsburg's fullback who pulled him down and gave up the pk. The guy who gave up the pk was the same guy who scored for Wolfsburg on a great goal Paredes made possible. The goal suits MaxOptimal's phrase "well worked goal" above.

Paredes is turning into a brilliant 2 way player. Teams are already gaming to avoid him. I hope we see him in March. He just got his first (steady)starts with Wolfsburg after the winter break and is on the upward trajectory in terms of playing well. There's another 10 games to play this season before Copa.

RunthePoint, Yowza and Kirium repped this.
  16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Mostly or all on the left, from what I've seen. And sort of an outside forward more than a true winger.

gomichigan24 and Kirium repped this.
  17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Sargent more impressive with every game.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #5618 Clint Eastwood, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    And so the rumors have begun................

Norwich City transfer rumours: Brentford eye Josh Sargent | Eastern Daily Press (edp24.co.uk)

Interest in his services this summer will be inevitable if he maintains this scoring rate, with Brentford the first side to be credited with keeping tabs on his progress. Other Premier League scouts have also watched the 24-year-old in recent weeks.

[Brentford was also one of the clubs linked to Haji Wright in 2023 prior to his Coventry move.]
    [​IMG]

largegarlic repped this.
  19. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I don’t see much long term upside for Sarge staying with a club that is apparently a yo-yo club by design, and will never spend enough to get beyond the PL relegation zone. It’s fun when they are down, but terrible for a striker when they are up.

20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Yes. I've noticed the other team gives him a lot of attention.

21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Agreed. I think there will be a solid market for him this summer.

22. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Superb goal by Tillman against Feyenoord.

RunthePoint repped this.
  23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly he’s also underperforming his xG while Sargent is over performing xG.

nobody and gogorath repped this.
  24. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Now he hits the post. Easily Tillman's best match against a quality opponent. Dest has been very good too.

25. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    What a game from Tillman so far. Almost created another goal. He's been a force.

RunthePoint repped this.