Yanks abroad 2023-2024 thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 3, 2023.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Richards(dm in 4231) and Palace lost 2-0 to Bournemouth. I watched the first half. Richards was competent on the ball. Nothing too adventurous. The crowed moaned on one occasion when he passed back to a centerback, instead of turning to attempt to play forward. It was mature of him not to get intimidated into making risky plays that'll get him sent back to the bench. And Palace's transition game was non-existent

47/51 passing
    3/5 long balls
    5/6 duels
    7 recoveries
    0/0 fouls/fouled

Fotmob(7.0)4th

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  2. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Fulham did Matt Turner a solid today.

RalleeMonkey, ifsteve, Magikfute and 3 others repped this.
  3. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving up 5 against an XG of 2.5 would get pretty much any non-European keeper sent to the depths of the depth chart……

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Ream benched or just rested?

5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, he's playing. Not well, or even average. But he's more than breathing.

And most importantly for our purposes, he's been poor w/ the USMNT in practically any relevant situation. So we acknowledge that, and marginalize him accordingly. Hope clearly better options emerge, thru nat'l team trials and club emergence. Use him only as a fallback.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna not even getting a cup game in a losing cause to Stuttgart is certainly grounds to encourage a move. I do like the Ajax idea. I always like the idea of taking on a project with a sleeping giant when they are down (unless its Sunderland or Hertha Berlin). Id even be intrigued with Lyon, who I feel is eventually going to get out of that mess.

7. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NF keeper got a SOFA score of 5.9. Tied with Hudson-Odoi for worst player of the 22 on the field.....LOL

8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001

RalleeMonkey and Winoman repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vlach already had a -.64 psxg+/- a game over his first 4. I'll be interested where he grades out when they tabulate it. But SS had a -1.52 goals prevented for this match. It's probably pushing -1 a game. Turner's was -.16. His save was 69. Vlach's is 45%. It's the difference between mediocre starter and youth keeper. So change has to happen.

Then, Matt's going to have about a month to prove himself again, before they could sign another keeper. Hopefully he doesn't start as tenuous as last time, which led to Vlach's arrival. Matt was superior, but I think he's capable of much better. Thankfully he'll get a second shot to prove that.

Yowza repped this.
  10. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    How on earth did this turn into a bash LDLT thread.

RalleeMonkey and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  11. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Ah, the next reason: A. Cold.

They’re laughing at us now. A freaking cold. The sniffles.

onefineesq repped this.
  12. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    How on earth did this turn into a bash Giovanni thread?

13. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I've watched the guy since he was a U20. I've always thought he was solid enough, I've never thought he was "good". I think its pretty obvious. He has some "good" performances, but his overall profile, when you watch him play, the breadth of sample size, is of a solid professional good enough to get by in a big 5 league as a part time starter. That's great, I think he's maxing his potential. He's gotten farther than I expected, but he's still a limited player, physically, athletically, and in that final third, he's always gonna be useful as depth, but I don't think he's more than that. What matters to me is when a guy like him is probably your #3 8, your fifth or sixth CM at best, that speaks to some solid depth in central midfield. In the past we had nothing remotely like that, that's a win. I just don't see anything special, I see a worker bee, which is fine, just limited.

Bajoro and tomásbernal repped this.
  14. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    That wasn't about Gio...its about his team.

He's only ever sick or injured during game time.

15. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001

Johnny has quietly risen up our depth chart. I'd rate him currently our 6th best mid, ahead of LDLT and behind Reyna, McKennie, Adams, Musah and Tillman.

16. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as ldlt rose into that top 6 after one better than expected match. whos going to have one surprisingly solid match and push cardoso back down the ladder?

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think we're all basically on the same page about de la Torre, but arguing anyway.

There was a period of time on these boards when he wasn't getting called up and the Bashing Berhalter Brigade decided to use him as a weapon. Then when we actually started calling him up, people were like "Meh. He's fine. Nothing special."

I think both Reyna and Tillman have the ceiling to be special. I don't know if they'll make it, but they have that ceiling. De La Fuente is fine. He's soon-to-be 26. He's in his prime. He gets minutes for a really poor La Liga team. They were lucky to escape relegation last year, and are in the relegation zone as we speak. 9 points from 15 games. They're just one of those La Liga teams that exist to be punching bags for the big teams. La Liga exists to support 3 teams. No, seriously. Look how the tv money is distributed.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Adams, McKennie, Musah, Torre, Johnny, Tessmann, Busio, Morris, Richards, Maloney

We could have 10 CMs in the Top-4 come next season. Incredible stuff. Reminds of the time we had 4 goalkeepers strarting in the EPL.

RalleeMonkey and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #3669 Clint Eastwood, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    Kellyn Acosta is also out of contract. Right?

If he decides to give Europe a shot, it'll be interesting to see where he goes.

If he signs some sort of long-term contract with MLS, he has at least some chance to break field player appearances/minutes records in the league. He's 28 and is at 252 appearances already.

The top 3 field players in career appearances are all central midfielders. :) Beckerman, McCarty, Larentowicz.

Darlington Nagbe, by the way, is hunting down the top 10 in career appearances. He's at 413. With his new contract, he might reach those top 3. He's signed thru 2026?

In his prime, Nagbe's the kind of guy who I think could have done well in Europe.

20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    starting is a really important word in your post- weve technically got 4 goalkeepers in the epl* now...none starting (*slonina on loan). and any of adams, luca and/or richards could easily go down (and richards as cm is still speculative).

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    'Could' is the really important word in my post.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Yanks Abroad. He's a Yank Abroad. It's also on the USMNA board. He's a member of that team.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That Johnny move could be huge.

They finished 6th last year, and they're having a similar season now. Pellegrini is really having an impact.

We'll see.

Let's just keep the pipeline moving. Not all moves are going to work out. I'd also love to see Aidan Morris move. He's 22 now. Like Johnny. If he's going to move, now's a good time. Go out with an MLS Cup.

Jack McGlynn.....................

We actually do have a glut of central midfield prospects. It was such that Noel Buck didn't get in our U20 cycle, which led to him having a tantrum. We need some of those guys to take the "next step." McGlynn, Vargas, Edelman, and those guys. One of our U20 midfielders from that cycle has totally fall off the map. Alvarado of Vizela in Portugal. Was loaned to a team in the Portuguese 3rd division and has barely played. Maybe a Uly Llanez or Kobe Hernandez-Foster-style disappearing act. Oh, Alvarado is former LAG too. Ouch.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  24. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De La Fuente is soon to be 26? I thought he was younger than that.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I meant to write de la Torre. :)
    Soon-to-be 26.

He's in his prime. This is who he is.
    That's what I was trying to say.

De la Torre..................of the Tower. Right?

Winoman repped this.