Yanks abroad 2023-2024 thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Earnie Stewart looking good.

Excellency repped this.
  2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Djordje got a chance to start, but was vacant. I think everyone who was still holding out hope he'd be a relevant player in Europe or with the USMNT should give that up now. Paying a transfer fee at all is probably a regret for AZ, let alone 6m. It's likely he'll be sent back for a fraction.

3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Tillman CAN play.

Aron played very well today.

Reyna is buried on the Dortmund bench. He MUST move.

Richards learning the DM spot can’t be bad. Or at least it is better than not playing.

4. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Anybody watch this Chris Richards development?

Starts as a CDM and is apparently one of the better players on the field.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup I just read up on that, very interesting. Trying the ole Jon Spector razzle dazzle

nbarbour repped this.
  6. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Jóhannsson?

Winoman repped this.
  7. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Autocorrect. ARob

8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    AZ is not an easy lineup to break into. If he had gone to a club like Heracles he might have followed a path similar to LDLT.

9. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    A very good development. Our Marcel Desailly.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm basing that on watching some games. His performance is poor. Like I said, he started today, again. He's barely visible. He doesn't anticipate space off ball. Doesn't have the quicks and authority to move into it. On the ball he's passive. Can't cover space defensively and doesn't have teeth in tackles. Struggled internationally when the opponent got tougher and pressure higher.

I've made it evident I'm not an LDLT fan either, but he's mentally tougher, quicker, and has better awareness of surroundings. That makes him an adequate La Liga & USMNT player. It would be incredibly optimistic for Mihailovic to even hit that modest height.

11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlights of the 'Pool v Fulham match. Noteworthy for the NL semis are Fulham's Jedi, Ream, and Bobby D-C-Reed who plays for Jamaica. Of course Jimenez represents Mexico.

12. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    Jedi had 13 interceptions on top of the assist. His WS score was 8.7.

RunthePoint, acima, tomásbernal and 6 others repped this.
  13. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Weird speculative thought I mentioned in the Reyna YA thread. I'm wondering if he's suddenly not even subbing because he's got an agreement in place to leave either on loan or via transfer in a few weeks? It's just odd that his minutes are drying up just as his health has totally come around (though like a few others, I did notice him wince in the international window in the 2nd half of one of the games, I forget which, but then he started running full out a few mins later during a counter so I guess it was just a momentary scare). Since November he hasn't got off the bench at all in 4 of 7 matches, and in a 5th match he only got 11 matches (in the remaining 2, he played a half and he played 27 mins respectively). I'm suspicious. It could be just "game state" issues, and Terzic's preference for more stout defending and veteraness, or it could be they're over each other and ready to move on? I'm not sure, but honestly, at this point, I don't want him playing the rest of the month. Would prefer a healthy transfer then risking getting hurt for them.

14. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #3564 Maximum Optimal, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    I agree that Djorde is not as good as LDLT. Heracles was the right level for LDLT at that point in his career. AZ is a significantly tougher lineup to crack than Heracles. If you want to improve you have to find the right level. Otherwise you rot on the bench.

15. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Terzic's use of Reyna is situational. And they have more often than not been in matches where they are holding on to a result late. Against Leverkusen they were playing for a point. In that situation, you bring in defensive subs. If they had been chasing a goal he probably would have brought Reyna on.

grandinquisitor28 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  16. FTGOTC

FTGOTC Member

Feb 21, 2021
    I was about to say, this match has been mentioned several times without anyone mentioning Jedi’s assist.
    Also, even though it was offside, Ream’s goal was impressive nonetheless.

Ghost repped this.
  17. rashaverak1961

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 23, 2017
    100% agree. Musah should have squared it to CP for an easy 1v1.

18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also pulled two defenders with him, leaving Jovic wide open to finish. Really good off ball movement to create that space. He's shining for Milan in a lot of ways.

FTGOTC, RunthePoint and rashaverak1961 repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mihailovic(amid in 4231) and Alkmaar get the 1-1 draw at Utrecht. It had been reported over a month ago that he might be headed back to MLS

31/36 passing
    4 key passes
    2/2 long balls
    5/10 duels
    1 big chance created
    1 big chanced missed

Sofascore(7.2)5th

tomásbernal and Winoman repped this.
  20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Richards(cdm in 4231) and Palace get the 1-1 draw at West Ham. His playing cdm is shades of G-Cam at Stoke.

30/41 passing
    4 clearances
    11/13 duels

Fotmob(7.6)2nd

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The commentators were really praising Antonee in that game.

For most of the contest he had Salah under wraps. Can't keep a good player like that down at all times. Still, a very good performance from him.

Hard to say a CB had a fine effort when their team concedes 4 goals. But those were four great goals by Liverpool. Ream was pretty good for most of the contest. He's not the reason they lost that game.

As far as Richards goes...............I can't remember him even playing CDM once at the FCD academy. He has the athleticism for it.

Seems to me that Palace love him, but love their starting CB duo. So they found a way to get him on the field. Maybe if they sell Guehi in January, Richards takes over at CB.

Both Palace and Fulham only have 4 points from their last 5 games. Not really getting many good results as we enter the holiday season fixture congestion. In another year they might be in relegation danger. But for the moment, they feel safe.

FTGOTC repped this.
  22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FTGOTC and rashaverak1961 repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Maybe they just say Chris to prevent themselves from having to pick a way to say his last name.

RefIADad repped this.
  24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, we all know that one……

“PULI PULI!!!!! SIC SIC!!!!!”
    “PULI PULI!!!!!! SIC SIC!!!!!”

(Sorry, that one was teed up far too easily for me to not drive it down the middle of the fairway. :))

falvo repped this.
  25. rashaverak1961

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 23, 2017
    Short, funny analysis of Milan's announcer's call when Pulisic scores: "He says every English word he knows...Meecka-Donald's! Burger King!"

FTGOTC and felloveranddidanadu repped this.