Yank Women On Foreign Wnt & Wynt

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BostonRed, May 4, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little more on the match (considered an upset because Iran is ranked 52d to Malditas' 83rd):

The Malditas, beefed up by US NCAA Division 1 players, are seeking to reach the Top 5 finishers in the AFC Women’s Asian Cup.

Also playing for the Malditas are Marielle Benitez, Sam Nierras, Marisa Park, Catherine Barnekow, Sarah Cook, Natasha Alquiros, Isabella Fernando, Christina delos Reyes, Patrice Impelido, Aisa Mondero, Inna Palacios, JoEllen Deleon, Monika Lee, Katherine Lim, Rachel Nichols, Shelby Salvacion, Maria de la Cruz, Camille Wilson, Raylene Larot, Morgan Brown, Chalise Baysa, and Maria Shipe.

“This is probably the fittest and fastest team we’ve ever had. We have a good chance of making it,” said team skipper Benitez in a Philippine Star report.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Really? The team is called the Damned?

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Rachel Quon has been called up to join Canada for their match against the US.

If that's true, she has filed her one time switch as she has played in U17 & U20 competitions for the US.

4. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, so is that the surprise call-up CRS was alluding to? Does she have a Canadian parent?

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada recently held a camp for players 17-23 in that well-known Canadian province of "West Virginia," inviting mostly US college based players.

Two worth noting:

MF- Parkes Kendrick | USA / FC Portland (can't confirm dual citizenship, but she is attending an Oregon HS and going to UP)

F- Kelley Monogue | USA / Texas A&M (mentioned in the thread above; I think this was her 1st camp with Canada)

6. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  7. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herdman's comments:

"She has a family connection to Canada. We're currently going through the process with FIFA make her available."

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering it takes a month (or sometimes 2) to get approved, I hope they are very far along in the process.

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Not so sure. Doesn't she have to play an official FIFA international ( not friendly) to be cap tied?

Not saying she won't make the Switch, she probably will, but this doesn't set it in stone.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She played for the US at the 2010 CONCACAF U20 WCQ and the U17 World Cup. Those competitions provisionally cap-tie her to the US and she can only join another team (full or youth) with a one-time switch. For her to play a friendly with Canada, she *has* to file her one-time switch. Once it's approved, she can no longer play for any team but Canada.

And you'll note that Herdman mentioned that the paperwork has been filed with FIFA.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Playing at the junior level does not cap tie you at the senior level. It only prevents you from switching more than once in any youth WC cycle. ( see Sydney Leroux).
    the age you had to decide used to be 21. In 2009 that was pushed back until you played an official FIFA match AFTER age 21.

From Wikipedia:

And :

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    she went to Grant HS and played for FC Portland as well ( and was a State CC champ)

One local wag maintains that she qualifies because she lives in the Beaumont neighborhood North of Grant, which he considers the French Canadian section of Portland. :)

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing in a youth competition "provisionally cap ties" a player, meaning that the player can only change to a federation in which he/she held citizenship at the time of the youth competition (U17 to U23). It's been discussed on this board numerous times, but there's no easy place to point you for full interpretation of the FIFA regulations.

That's why Fabian Johnson had to apply for his one-time switch. He never played for the full German NT, but did play for their team in U21 Euros. That's why Aron Johannsson can't come play a friendly for the US -- he has played for Iceland's U21 team in Euro qualifying. That's why Villyan Bijev will have to file a one time switch if he plays for the Bulgarians in U21 Euros and then decides to switch back.

The one time switch isn't needed if you don't play in a youth competition (just like happened with Danny Williams).

Namdynamo repped this.
  14. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    What exactly does "family connection" mean? Heck, I've got a family connection to Canada (both of my uncles and all of my cousins are Canadian citizens, and my dad's mom's parents were both born in Canada), but I can't get citizenship.

According to Canadian citizenship law, unless her parents were Canadian citizens at that time and she had already applied for Canadian citizenship before 17 April 2009, one of her parents must be a Canada-born Canadian citizen to qualify for citizenship (they now have a one generation limit, so if your parent was born outside of Canada to Canadian parents, they can have citizenship, but can not pass it on to you).

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richard Farley at ProSoccerTalk says it's her father.

And that change came into effect in 2009, long after Quon was born. So it's possible for this to be a grandparent situation. She would still be under the provisions of the law in effect when she was born (applying for a passport usually isn't really applying for citizenship -- it's just confirming the right that was already in place).

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Parent or Grandparent. Possibly some special exceptions, or residency requirements which I am sure don't apply.

Canadian law has little to do with FIFA requirements. You will slide down a meaningless hole citing Canadian law.!

But all countries have made exceptions for special athletes. The USA had Russian figure skaters in the Olympics one cycle after Russia did.

17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Ah. If it's her father, then she'll have no problem.

No, she would have had to specifically apply for it (as you said, not really applying for citizenship, but confirming it) before 17 April 2009.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you mean. That's a very rare provision as most laws give some leeway for people who aren't old enough to apply on their own. (And it's also possible she applied before that deadline).

Actually, doesn't that mean that the 28th birthday is the deadline to apply for 2nd generation citizenship if you are born before April 2009?

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    A 2004 ruling made it parent or grandparent, or two year residency, which I'm pretty sure doesn't apply. It has little to do with USA or Canadian law.

Article 18 makes it clear that actual residency in a country is NOT a sole criteria.

20. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I was under the impression that citizenship was involved somewhere, if that's incorrect, then there are tons of people on BS that are misinformed. That's why in all the posts about "why can't such-and-such MLS player who has never played for their native country play for the USMNT" always end up with people saying "Because they are not a citizen." And that's why I asked what exactly are her family connections.

BostonRed repped this.
  21. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    No, the 28th birthday was the deadline to apply before 17 April 2009. Once it was the 17th, you could no longer apply.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are talking about 2 different things. The 2004 ruling is a FIFA rule. We are trying to determine if Quon is eligible for Canadian citizenship based on the little information we have.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure, but it's not worth a lot of effort to research, since we are dealing in hypotheticals.

I just went through the Canadian checklist to determine if you are a citizen, and it seems like even a grandparent could qualify her, if her father was registered as a birth aboard.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Wade through this:

And from the wiki on it:

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Citizenship does matter. The FIFA ruling has to do with players being given almost automatic citizenship to a country in desperate need of talent.