Yank Women On Foreign Wnt & Wynt

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BostonRed, May 4, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monica Sanchez
    Frosh at Brenau University, MF
    dual citizen of the United States and Columbia
    Has been invited into campus for the Colombian teams

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diana Redman
    Israel: appeared in 6 Euro Qualifiers for NT
    MF
    Born in Queens, NY
    Played for Queens College

kool-aide repped this.
  3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for keeping this running list, BostonRed. Much appreciated.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple to pay attention to for the Italian team:

Catiana Vitanza (age 22) MF

At the end of her contract with the Italian club, Catiana decided to return to the US after being away from home for so long. She immediately got back into a rigorous training program with her trainer Lomic. Her next goal will be to play for the Italian National Team and help Italy win trophies.

She has a sister Aricca Vitanza (MF/F), a year older.

Looks like the sisters skipped college soccer and played in Serbia to start their pro careers.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Neurosci

Neurosci New Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Republic of Ireland U19 EURO 2013 Qualifiers

Jillian Moloney (GSA 95 Phoenix Red, USA); Lauren Murphy (Cork Women's FC), Chloe Mustaki (Peamount United), Ciara O'Connell (Cork Women's FC), Grace Wright (Challenge FC, USA); Denise O'Sullivan (C) (Cork Women's FC), Emma Hansberry (Castlebar Celtic), Claire Shine (Cork Women's FC); Gemma McGuinness (Greencastle FC), Katie McCabe (Raheny United), Orlagh Nolan (Shamrock Rovers). Subs: Kelly Halligan (Blackburn Rovers) for Nolan (16 mins), Rhianna Jarrett (Wexford Ladies) for Halligan (46). Subs not used: Courtney Brosnan (PDA Slammers, USA), Shauna Newman (Raheny United), Carys Johnson (Everton), Emily Cahill (Peamount United), Sinead O'Farrelly (Raheny United).

7. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :rolleyes:

She'll come back to the USA, because she needs athletes for her style of play, especailly at the forward position. It's that plain and simple. A USA player wouldn't make a difference in Sweden's mid-field or backline.

Please don't tell me Press' mom's family originated from Sweden. She's the only person I can think of, who is hanging around Sweden at this time.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another English GK:

Ashley Baker
    Just finished up at Georgia

Born March 15, 1990 in Grantham, England ... Daughter of Nigel and Joann Baker ... Older sister Alana attends Georgia College and State University, older brother, Aaron, is a member of the U.S. Coast Guard ... played for England in the U20 Women's World Cup in 2008 and 2010.

Baker, who was born in England and holds dual citizenship with the United States, used a redshirt last year in order to join England at the 2008 U-20 World Cup competition in Chile. She was called up to the England National Team last November.

Ashley Baker

Ashley Baker

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like UCF grad Andrea Rodrigues (not to be confused with Adriana Rodrigues at Jacksonville) has been part of the Portugal NT for a few years:

Newly graduated Andrea Rodrigues is set to compete in her second Algarve Cup with the Portugal National Team. "I am extremely excited and very honored to be called up again," Rodrigues said. "It was an amazing experience last year to get to share the field with players like Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan and (Japan's) Homare Sawa. I can't wait for this year's tournament."

Rodrigues joined the Portugal National Team in 2010 and has worked her way into a starting role. She scored the game-winner against Hungary in last year's Algarve Cup. The St. Petersburg, Fla., native will report to Portugal March 2 with the first game scheduled four days later. Portugal's bracket includes Hungary, Mexico and Wales, and the 12-team field also includes Germany, Norway, Sweden, Japan, USA and China.

11. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
  12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, that was actually mentioned in the article. But since I assume you don't read Swedish it is a accurate observation :)

15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    BostonRed said: ↑
    We have found the threatened "American talent" Pia was talking about.

interesting? she could find a borderline talent at forward but couldn't find press' elite talent. pia is not missed. and it took jill to more or less make her play sydney. that's two elite talents, pia.

16. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A player named Philomena Maria Zecca, from Mass Premier Soccer, has been selected in the U19 Italian NT for the La Manga international tournament, as a forward. I never heard of this girl in the italian champ., so I presume that she's dual citizen, but played only in your country so far. I have checked their website, looks like it's a soccer academy with one (some ?) teams that play in actual championships, but I couldn't understand if it's W-league, WPSL, or some high school/University champ....:cautious: ....just curious...

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MPS is what we generally refer to as a "club team" here in the US. Players move up the pyramid to join their top youth teams. Most of the girls playing also participate in high school soccer (if available), but this is the team they join to get national exposure and a better level of training/competition. Their top level teams usually are below W-League or WPSL (those are considered "adult" leagues; MPS mostly seems to operate youth teams).

It's not associated with a professional club the way it might happen in the rest of the world. I assume it's still a "pay-for-play" system as that is the only way to support the coaching and the facilities (at least for women).

She goes by "Maria" and appears to be a high school senior forward at Beaver Country Day School near Boston. She played (and scored) with Italy's U19 last year in UEFA qualifying:

Waltham, 26th October 2012; Global Premier Soccer product Maria Zecca scored for Italy U19 WNT in their UEFA Championship first qualifying round this week. Maria played the whole 90 minutes for Italy in their first two UEFA European Women’s U19 Championship first qualifying round against Kazakhstan and Greece, and came off the bench in the first half in their third game against Austria. In the first game against Kazakhstan on Saturday, Maria, playing forward, scored her first international goal for Italy in a 6-0 win.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.uefa.com/womensunder19/season=2013/teams/player=250056460/index.html

I wasn't able to find anything that confirmed dual citizenship or much else about her background.

gricio61 repped this.
  18. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bostonred, thank you for the research and the info about MPS :)
    I have found a short bio of the girl here:
    http://www.cofcsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14800&ATCLID=206277586
    From that and from a few other info on interntet looks like she has lived in USA since she was a kid, but I too didn't find anything about a possible USA citizenship.
    Anyway, I'll keep an eye on her, may I'll found something more...

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't find another source, but it looks like Kelley Monogue of Texas A&M has been called up for Canada:

sitruc repped this.
  20. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    It's also mentioned in her Texas A&M coach's twitter. I'd be interested in hearing what her story is. She was a 2011 freshman so I suppose she's a U23 not a U20.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was born Sept. 1, 1992, but it may not matter.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heather Cooke is heading off to AFC qualifying with the Philippines:

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Philippine women held a tryout camp in Corona, California, in March and it looks like they loaded their roster with Filipina-Americans. Here's a link to the women who tried out: http://usapangfootball.com/thread/2001

Here's why the coach came to the US: One of the reasons that coach Nierras decided to look abroad for players was because of the difficulty in asking the universities in the Philippines to release his players in order to take part in WNT training.

Here are the players he is taking to the AFC:

Confirmed Yanks:
    Joana Houplin
    JoEllen DeLeon
    Maria Dela Cruz
    Marisa Park
    Rachel Nichols
    Megan Jurado
    Camille Wilson
    Katherine Wilson

Probable Yanks:
    Shelby Salvacion
    Chalise Baysa
    Sarah Cook
    Monika Lee
    Maria Shipe
    Morgan Brown
    Raylene Larot

With Heather Cooke, Cat Banekow and Patrice Impelido, that means 18 US-based players (not counting the UMiami player who is from Canada) on the roster. I also found a 2012 roster for ASEAN Football Federation Women’s Championship that mentioned Ashley O’Connor, Abby Komarc, Angeline Impelido as "Fil-Americans".

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little more on the Philippines effort to add US & Canadian players:

“(If ever) We would be the first Philippine team ever to qualify for the World Cup,” said Fil-Am Alexa Diaz of Seattle Pacific U, one of 35 US and Canada-based players vying for slots in the final 23. “(Nierras) put some high standards on us at that last camp, and he mapped it out for us.”

25. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Looks like the Philippine strategy paid off today as they beat Iran 6-0 in AFC qualifying. Americans Megan Jurado, Heather Cooke, and Joanna Houplin scored while Canadian Jesse Shugg put in two.
    Thailand crushed Bangladesh 7-0 in the other match.

BostonRed repped this.