Yank Women On Foreign Wnt & Wynt

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BostonRed, May 4, 2012.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    For what it's worth, I've been subscribed to this thread since it was started. I haven't contributed anything, but I am definitely interested in seeing this continue. I really appreciate the work that goes into finding the information too.

holden repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned earlier in the thread that the Mexico U-17 team has a number of US-based players. I've listed a couple above as "confirmed" citizens, but figured I'd add the remainder here in case anyone knows more about them:

Celina Montano (Beach FC)
    Natalie Rivas (Real So Cal)
    Jessica Valdez (Eagles)
    Taylor Alvarado (Eagles)
    Vivia Vega (Arsenal FC)
    Luz Duarte (Tucson Mountain Lady Jaguars)
    Jessica Morales (San Diego Surf)
    Cassandra Reyes (Legends FC)

For right now, I'm assuming they are simply resident in the US.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sufficiently large numbers of US born women's basketball players have acquired 2nd passports and/or played for other Olympic/World Championship teams w/o the US gov't thinking they've renounced their USA citizenship that I think you're overstating a bit.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I don't think I've overstated anything.

I'm pretty sure that if you commit and act of terrorism, fight against the US, or are in a policy position for the government of a foreign country who has interests against the US and have dual citizenship, you will lose your USA one. There have been criminal cases as well. I had the Gambino, Adonis, and Luciano deportations, but there were others. I don't think I have said there are any circumstances beyond that that I have claimed would do it, though there might be. the State department website cites all those instances as cause for losing citizenship.

I certainly didn't say playing Basketball or Soccer would do it. if you think I said that, read the passage you quoted me on again.

If you think that you can't lose your citizenship for terrorism or Criminal conduct, I think you are mistaken. Please explain yourself.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we're talking about sport here and not terrorism or criminal conspiracy, your bringing that up in the thread is overkill and pretty much off-topic. As is talk of the US gov't deciding a person has renounced their citizenship due to various non-sporting actions.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Maybe, but your statement was that I overstated something, which I clearly did not. the discussion at the point I wrote what I did was an answer to the claim that dual citizenship is recognized by the USA ( it is not) and that you can't lose your citizenship ( you can) I was clarifying.

If your complaint is that it was off topic, that is different than your last post, which was the claim that I overstated something. It's actually pretty funny that you accuse me now of being off topic. I presented facts in answer to somebody's statements, you distorted what I said and invented that I Somehow claimed you could lose your citizenship for playing basketball, which I absolutely never said.

That was YOUR invention and off topic.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There sure are a lot of US of Americans playing for foreign countries...:whistling:

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colombia has announced their Olympic roster and it includes 2 US citizen players I wasn't aware of (in addition to Nataly Arias):

Ana Maria Montoya Prophater
    Born in Portland, Oregon
    Colombia: U17 World Cup, U20 World Cup
    At the University of Arizona now

Melissa Marie Ortiz Matallana
    Born in West Palm Beach, Florida
    At Lynn University now

9. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Candice Osei-Agyemang is playing for the Ghana U-20 team.
    Her older sister Mimi played for the senior Ghana national team in the 2003 Women's World Cup.

BostonRed repped this.
  10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    after that joke in sweden, press needs to buy her citizenship in brasil and join marta. what's the point of getting called up to cheer the current divas?

Good for ali riley she decided to play for new zealand.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. Candice was also at the U17 World Cup in 2008.

12. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Because there's a new cycle approaching and possibly a new coach. And because she has the 2014 WWC on her mind. She'll play somewhere even if it's not Forward.

newsouth repped this.
  13. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2015 unless we're all wrong about what USNT she should play on... :p

14. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Plus, why would she want to play for Brazil. That team will be a train wreck after Marta leaves. I don't think their new young forwards are anything to brag about!

15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    what new cycle? abby is at the end and they are padding her goal stats now, so no one will get any friendly time over the next 3 years or so, and god forbid you go out and look better than morgan a couple of games, you will be riding the bench as a late sub. no reason to support this team come 2015. maybe cheer for rampone and a-rod.

16. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    So as US fans you're suggesting that we cheer against 2 forwards that have combined for 40 goals over the past 20 games with the national team. Wow, what a brilliant idea! :cool:

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

What made you think Newsouth is a USA fan?

Some folks think their only shot is if we sit Abby and Alex.

18. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I should just ignore him, but I always get pulled in. :(

19. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I have Brazil '14 pinged into my brain rather than Canada '15. :oops:

20. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Per a recent interview with Alex Morgan she stated that she prefers the 8 to 10 month European league schedule vs. the 3 to 4 month one in the WPSL league. I think it's safe to say that Morgan is heading to Europe next year. Personally, I hope that she winds up in either the French or German leagues. Both the French and German teams play constrasting styles to the U.S., so Morgan will have a great a chance to hone her skills in other areas. I've never watched the Swedish league, but judging by how their national team plays, I just feel that they'll use her in the exact same way as the USWNT, which is to lob the ball over the defender and let her run for the it (similar to Schelin).

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you may have posted to the wrong thread. Good info, though...

22. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    She's a downhill runner like Abby is a walking header. Do you think she'll develop a freestyle game like Marta? Kick the ball forward and let her and Sydney chase it while running over defenders.

That horse trotting running style of her's isn't meant for a finesse game.

23. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Thanks for the input, but I was hoping for a response from a more knowledgeable forum member. Thanks anyway. :rolleyes:

24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Truth hurts. Sydney and Morgan are what they are.

25. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Philippines?! Really?! The freaking Philippines?!